• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think everyone realises that NSW and Qld produce approx 75% of Australia's professional players with the other 25% made up of a combination of NZ, Fiji, PI, Melbourne and Perth. Unfortunately the Brumbies whilst harping about their Super Rugby record produce the least of any these days. The last locally produced Wallaby (Powell) they had on the books just got punted off to the Rebs. Maybe 6 - 8 ACT products in the whole Super Rugby system I reckon out of say 180 odd pro contract in Aust with probably none in the Wallaby frame right now except for Powell on the fringe.

This is surely more a function of the fact that the ACT population is 8.3% the size of Queensland's and 5.7% the size of NSW's than anything else.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
There's 13 players in Super Rugby from Brumbies region - Hansen, Lonergan (*2), Scott, Cusack, Ross, Lloyd, McInerney, Abel, Tetera Faulkner, Holland, Wagner & Powell.

Not a major number but far outweighs the population.

What the Brumbies do well on is recruitment. A lot of players are brought to Canberra between 18 to 20 and kick-on for successful careers. It's extremely rare for them to import a starting Super or Test player.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
There's 13 players in Super Rugby from Brumbies region - Hansen, Lonergan (*2), Scott, Cusack, Ross, Lloyd, McInerney, Abel, Tetera Faulkner, Holland, Wagner & Powell.

What the Brumbies do well on is recruitment. A lot of players are brought to Canberra between 18 to 20 and kick-on for successful careers. It's extremely rare for them to import a starting Super or Test player.

Some call it recruitment, some call it poaching, depends on which direction they are heading.

Also, not trying to be disrespectful, but of the 13 I would only count 1 - Powell - as currently starting quality for any of the Aus Super Rugby squads, and maybe half of them possibly in the matchday squad.

So to be brutally honest there is very little playing talent coming out of the ACT unfortunately.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

I really don't know the background of a lot of these guys but jeez..... first time I've heard anyone claim Tetera Faulkner is a product of the ACT (yes I do know he lived and played in Canberra for a few years). Maybe the definition of "from Brumbies region" is a bit stretchy?

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
Fair enough, it might be a bit of a stretch given that he only went to College there, made the Oz Schools, part of the Brumbies Academy, played Oz U19/20 and had a couple of seasons with the Vikings (Colts/1sts)....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is part of the problem of trying to work out where players originate from or where they were developed.

There are a whole lot of players who could be credited as being from multiple states/territories/countries depending on what criteria is applied.

You could reasonably argue that Faulkner is a product of NZ, Victoria, ACT or WA.

Personally, I'll go with the place he last played a professional game, so he's a New South Welshman. :cool:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some call it recruitment, some call it poaching, depends on which direction they are heading.

Also, not trying to be disrespectful, but of the 13 I would only count 1 - Powell - as currently starting quality for any of the Aus Super Rugby squads, and maybe half of them possibly in the matchday squad.

So to be brutally honest there is very little playing talent coming out of the ACT unfortunately.

Looking at this year's additions to the playing squad, we have:

Lachie Albert, 20, promoted from the Academy. No previous Super Rugby team (that I'm aware of).

Archer Holz, 21, from the SS, no previous Super Rugby team.

Tom Hooper, 21, from the Academy, no previous Super Rugby team.

Lachlan Lonergan, 21, local product from the Academy.

Billy Pollard, 19, from the Academy, no previous Super Rugby team.

Luke Reimer, 20, local product, from the Academy (playing JID, Sydney College I believe).

Rory Scott, 20, local product (playing JID, Sydney College, I believe).

Reece Tapine, 21, from Brisbane Hospital Cup, I believe.

James Tucker, 26, ex-NZ, playing overseas and contracted but didn't play 2020 for Auckland Blues.

Just, who, out of all those would you describe as being poached? Tucker aside, who was recruited to fill a hole in experience in the second row, all are young, potential Super Rugby players who haven't been identified or signed by their state of origin or who are Canberra locals.

I think the term "recruitment" better describes the Brumbies signing of new players over the years than does "poaching".

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Looking at this year's additions to the playing squad, we have:

Lachie Albert, 20, promoted from the Academy. No previous Super Rugby team (that I'm aware of).

Archer Holz, 21, from the SS, no previous Super Rugby team.

Tom Hooper, 21, from the Academy, no previous Super Rugby team.

Lachlan Lonergan, 21, local product from the Academy.

Billy Pollard, 19, from the Academy, no previous Super Rugby team.

Luke Reimer, 20, local product, from the Academy (playing JID, Sydney College I believe).

Rory Scott, 20, local product (playing JID, Sydney College, I believe).

Reece Tapine, 21, from Brisbane Hospital Cup, I believe.

James Tucker, 26, ex-NZ, playing overseas and contracted but didn't play 2020 for Auckland Blues.

Just, who, out of all those would you describe as being poached? Tucker aside, who was recruited to fill a hole in experience in the second row, all are young, potential Super Rugby players who haven't been identified or signed by their state of origin or who are Canberra locals.

I think the term "recruitment" better describes the Brumbies signing of new players over the years than does "poaching".

Thanks for making my point.... 3 local recruits with the rest 'Recruited' from somewhere else that is 'not local' but if you say not poached then if you say so.......

Not here to argue with anyone, and definitely not a Brumbies hater, but the fact is that they host a Super Rugby rugby franchise but have virtually no local talent in the frame and looking like very little on the horizon.

So far as 'recruits' not being recognised in NSW or Qld, that's a bit of a BS argument, Tahs and Reds produce 80% of the player base but only have 40% of the contract spots available. A simple solution would be to relocate the Brumbies to Sydney and Rebels to Brisbane..... but we all know it's not that simple. ;)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
For the record Faulkner is a kiwi/Victorian. Born and lived in NZ until he was in yr 6. Then family moved to Victoria where he played the majority of his junior and representative rugby until moving to Canberra in his final year to continue to work on his rugby. On saying that why do we care where they come from? No person that follows the NRL cares that Cam Smith is a QLDer playing in Victoria or DCE is running around for Manly. The Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles are stacked with interstate talent. David Beckham is from London not Manchester and Magic Johnson is from Michigan not LA. It’s nice to have local talent but personally it’s way down the list of pre-requisites for players playing in a team.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
10. To'omua 11. koroibete 12. Hodge 13. magnay 14. pincus 15. dhp

22. Holland 23. Tonumaipea/anderson
I need to see Holland in 15s before making my mind up.

The right wing spot will be the hardest to pick, Vudogo I’m keen to see if he has some of that Fijian magic. He’s a former world u20s trophy player of the tournament (the comp below the u20s championship). Always curious to see Lachie Anderson have a go as well but I suspect Pincus will be the front runner with experiences under his belt.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

The right wing spot will be the hardest to pick, Vudogo I’m keen to see if he has some of that Fijian magic. He’s a former world u20s trophy player of the tournament (the comp below the u20s championship). Always curious to see Lachie Anderson have a go as well but I suspect Pincus will be the front runner with experiences under his belt.

Pincus. Good.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Well it's either Holland or Gordon and neither have done anything yet so it's just whether you want a backup centre so hodge is able to shift to 10 if needed, or a backup 10.

Hodge, Holland (12) and Magnay, Vudogo (13) are the only centres.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For the record Faulkner is a kiwi/Victorian. Born and lived in NZ until he was in yr 6. Then family moved to Victoria where he played the majority of his junior and representative rugby until moving to Canberra in his final year to continue to work on his rugby. On saying that why do we care where they come from? No person that follows the NRL cares that Cam Smith is a QLDer playing in Victoria or DCE is running around for Manly. The Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles are stacked with interstate talent. David Beckham is from London not Manchester and Magic Johnson is from Michigan not LA. It’s nice to have local talent but personally it’s way down the list of pre-requisites for players playing in a team.

Well I think local players In the squad is indicative of the health of grassroots in the region. There isn’t a finite supply of quality super rugby caliber players in Australia and if production remains focussed on ALD and NSW, and doesn’t grow in new markets then we will continue to see substandard play as the quality is spread too thin.

Unfortunately Australia rugby isn’t like the AFL/NRL/NBA where players will stay into their 30s, at that age a large majority are heading offshore to pick up their retirement cheques. I think there is a need to focus on the grassroots and development more in Australia rugby then there is in those other sports because Super Rugby clubs can’t match the finances of overseas.

No it’s not a pre-requisite but it’s a good health indicator of how grassroots rugby is going, and given the growing financial influence of NH teams plundering the top players, grassroots and development pathways are going to become even more important to keep the clubs stocked with players.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
This happens in every sport - Messi went to Barcelona from Argentina when he was 13.

Thanks for making my point.. 3 local recruits with the rest 'Recruited' from somewhere else that is 'not local' but if you say not poached then if you say so...

Not here to argue with anyone, and definitely not a Brumbies hater, but the fact is that they host a Super Rugby rugby franchise but have virtually no local talent in the frame and looking like very little on the horizon.

So far as 'recruits' not being recognised in NSW or Qld, that's a bit of a BS argument, Tahs and Reds produce 80% of the player base but only have 40% of the contract spots available. A simple solution would be to relocate the Brumbies to Sydney and Rebels to Brisbane... but we all know it's not that simple. ;)

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Well it's either Holland or Gordon and neither have done anything yet so it's just whether you want a backup centre so hodge is able to shift to 10 if needed, or a backup 10.

Hodge, Holland (12) and Magnay, Vudogo (13) are the only centres.

Or To'omua can play centre,

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Or To'omua can play centre,

Of course.

I just asssssummmmeee (dangerous word) that if To'omua got pulled off for whatever reason, it would perhaps be better with holland coming in at 12 and hodge to 10, instead of gordon to 10.

Hoping I'm wrong and that Gordon is genuine, has real x factor, speed and potential instead of like..Harrison..who is Diet Foley.