• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
What's with the team when we go a man up this year? Both against the Reds and Brumbies we have been really soft with the extra man and have conceded a lot of the points against at those times.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Should continue to have issues upfront this week. Orr I believe has returned to Melbourne, so highly unlikely to be fit for this week. Absolutely no idea on Gibbon.

If Fa’amasuili isn’t fit we might have to draft in another prop from outside the squad to play or Eloff back to reserve TH with Anae playing LH and Kailea from the development squad continuing off the bench.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Should continue to have issues upfront this week. Orr I believe has returned to Melbourne, so highly unlikely to be fit for this week. Absolutely no idea on Gibbon.

If Fa’amasuili isn’t fit we might have to draft in another prop from outside the squad to play or Eloff back to reserve TH with Anae playing LH and Kailea from the development squad continuing off the bench.
Can’t see Pone playing, the AFL has already moved to a mandatory 12 stand down post concussion

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I heard 3rd hand that everyone who isn't a chance of playing this week & half the support staff that wont be needed friday have returned to Melbourne. There were already a couple of them back in melb last weekend. But your right we may have to draft in someone, possibly Charlie Abel if he hasnt left for the MLR or hasnt been back in melbourne to see his family in the last 28 days

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
is there going to club rugby in Melbourne this year? Apparently Mason Gordon is being flown up and down to Brisbane to play club rugby up here because the standard isn't good enough down there? The guy is fresh out of school - how can the comp be good enough? Personally I don't think the QRU should allow it, you sign elsewhere, go play for them.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
is there going to club rugby in Melbourne this year? Apparently Mason Gordon is being flown up and down to Brisbane to play club rugby up here because the standard isn't good enough down there? The guy is fresh out of school - how can the comp be good enough? Personally I don't think the QRU should allow it, you sign elsewhere, go play for them.
Club probably recruited him. Club rugby is going ahead but the talent drain doesn’t help

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No, the Melbourne comp is not at the NSW and QLD level, but then again, Paisami, Valetini, Hosea...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No, the Melbourne comp is not at the NSW and QLD level, but then again, Paisami, Valetini, Hosea.

is the suggestion, all those three had to go somewhere else to develop their game??

Exactly what I said, the prem club in Queensland probably approached him to get across

No, he was at the prem club before he was signed by the Rebels. The Rebels want him to go back to play in Brisbane. Is that not a sign that they are not the best place for him to develop his rugby?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

The problem with that approach is that you either delay a young players development by making him play in a lesser standard competition while he develops, or you reduce the amount of available spots to a developing player by 60%. While it may deliver a leg up to NSW and QLD attracting the best kids, it also disadvantages the pro game in the country as a whole by leaving it open to more players being plucked straight out of school by league. Given the player drain at the moment, we need as many kids as possible in the pro system to ensure we can replace the ones who leave for Japan, UK and Europe once they have established even a mid level Super Rugby career.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I always thought players were required to be registered with a club team to be eligible for the state franchise.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The problem with that approach is that you either delay a young players development by making him play in a lesser standard competition while he develops, or you reduce the amount of available spots to a developing player by 60%. While it may deliver a leg up to NSW and QLD attracting the best kids, it also disadvantages the pro game in the country as a whole by leaving it open to more players being plucked straight out of school by league. Given the player drain at the moment, we need as many kids as possible in the pro system to ensure we can replace the ones who leave for Japan, UK and Europe once they have established even a mid level Super Rugby career.
It makes it hard without the NRC now as well. Plus there will be a push to get all the young players in the televised comps

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If he isn't playing Super Rugby, and there's an opportunity to expose him to a higher level of Club Rugby as a young playmaker, and it's within the rules, I'm all for it. I think it's a clever move from the Rebels.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Great to see the Rebels on the front page of the ABC News Section
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 1.45.05 pm.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, absolutely a clever move by the Rebels. Rely on other states to develop the young talent they have signed from that state.

Like I said, if I was the QRU, I wouldn't register him. He can go play for the unicorns.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
yep, absolutely a clever move by the Rebels. Rely on other states to develop the young talent they have signed from that state.

Like I said, if I was the QRU, I wouldn't register him. He can go play for the unicorns.

Your issue should be with RA in knocking the NRC on the head not the rebels. I personally think the Rising should be playing in the SS or all our players go to 1 club where they all can develop together working on combinations rather than bashing into each other every week.