• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
the off field Rebels development seems to have been good the last couple of years, and on paper i thought they had done a reasonable job of recruitment/retention - losing both MK and Isi were disasters but i dont know that any of the Oz franchises could have kept them. they are developing the local talent pretty well also, but the same on field problems persist, irrespective of who has coached TT, Wessels or now Foote - they seem great in patches and then cant execute a basic pass or catch ! Save for the opening 5 - 6 games in 2019 they have never lived up to the on paper abilities. this season so far is just a catastrophe, the injury toll is staggering and they look bereft of ideas. im not sure what the ARU or anyone can do - sadly.
Yes agreed off field not so bad but on field and coaching wise a problem. That is why referenced the brumbies as they are successful off and on the field and developing players and team cohesion a strength.

With Wessels departure they had a chance to go outside but went within for the answer (Foote). The injury toll and departures are a concern but as you say there inability to gell as a team and match expectations to quality of players on paper been an ongoing issue.

The rebels need to win against the drua and win well. To lose this game would be a big PR disaster for rebels.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congrats to Melbourne born & raised (plus aps/brighton grammar boy) Josh Canham on getting selected for his 1st Super Rugby game. Also welcome back quins product isaac aedo kailea after a year out of the game. Next wave of burn boyz coming through
Quins would have a handy pair of locks in Hosea and Canham

Super stoked to see Canham get a run I feel if he can show a bit and start to find his feet at the level we could finally be starting to build some depth at lock with the local lads and Phillip

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
How many others have come through the APS pathway?

Tuipolotu was APS, but I assume he was also doubling up with club games.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
How many others have come through the APS pathway?

Tuipolotu was APS, but I assume he was also doubling up with club games.

Jordy st kevins as well.

I'm pretty sure STK are still the only school the offers full scholarships for rugby. Off topic but still to the day Xavier still don't offer sports scholarships at all! & still the best production line of afl talent in the land

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
the off field Rebels development seems to have been good the last couple of years, and on paper i thought they had done a reasonable job of recruitment/retention - losing both MK and Isi were disasters but i dont know that any of the Oz franchises could have kept them. they are developing the local talent pretty well also, but the same on field problems persist, irrespective of who has coached TT, Wessels or now Foote - they seem great in patches and then cant execute a basic pass or catch ! Save for the opening 5 - 6 games in 2019 they have never lived up to the on paper abilities. this season so far is just a catastrophe, the injury toll is staggering and they look bereft of ideas. im not sure what the ARU or anyone can do - sadly.
I just wonder where they reinvested the money that MK and Naisarani were getting. Hundreds of thousands - what epic players got big increases in their new contracts? Which strong players were brought in as replacements?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Melbourne speak for GPS - though 6/12 are coed

Its a bit of a mix. 4 of them are boys schools which have sister schools, 6 are coed & MGS have a boys & girls school.

Interms of aps rugby 6 of the 11 schools have a 1st XV side (plus 2 agsv schools). Haileybury have a 2nd XV side the rest of the schools don't have rugby senior sides or rugby programs.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just wonder where they reinvested the money that MK and Naisarani were getting. Hundreds of thousands - what epic players got big increases in their new contracts? Which strong players were brought in as replacements?
I think the focus was put to player retention. We did bring in Kellaway and Phillip while retaining Leota so that’s fairly solid to replace Isi and DHP

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Schools rugby pathway really didn't produce talents when compared to the clubs, at least when I was last running around with a footy.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Think it’s poor by the Rebels that we put out a cultural round jersey that acknowledges Fijian, Samoan, Tongan and Cook Islanders culture yet no feature for indigenous Australians. While we had our indigenous round jersey last season I must admit with the only three themed rounds being women in rugby round, cultural round and heritage round I think they have missed an opportunity here.

I must say I do support the tribute to the Fijian, Samoan, Tongans and Cook Islanders as they keep the game alive here in Melbourne. I went to the pacific cup a few years ago and it was an incredible day

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Think it’s poor by the Rebels that we put out a cultural round jersey that acknowledges Fijian, Samoan, Tongan and Cook Islanders culture yet no feature for indigenous Australians. While we had our indigenous round jersey last season I must admit with the only three themed rounds being women in rugby round, cultural round and heritage round I think they have missed an opportunity here.

I must say I do support the tribute to the Fijian, Samoan, Tongans and Cook Islanders as they keep the game alive here in Melbourne. I went to the pacific cup a few years ago and it was an incredible day
Do they not have an indigenous jersey separately for indigenous round (round 14)?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do they not have an indigenous jersey separately for indigenous round (round 14)?
Well when I read the fixture it only mentioned three themed rounds in women in rugby, cultural round and heritage round.
Themed rounds celebrating a Women in Rugby Round, Culture Round, and Heritage Round will also remain on the schedule with confirmation of new dates and other details to be announced early next year. https://australia.rugby/news/revised-super-rugby-pacific-draw-confirmed-20211222
Obviously I have missed that they are also having an indigenous round as that wasn’t mentioned in the article. But it all makes sense now

Thanks for cleaning that up

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Its for Pasifika round every club is doing one

Reactions: dru