• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
We are also wearing a new away shirt tonight mainly pink from the pics of the back on insta
It’s good to be different, I don’t mind that. Personally I can’t see myself buying the pink one but. Have a blue long sleeve the red white and blue hoops and the indigenous one

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Email from the Rebels Chairman today:

As we embark on a historic weekend for our club, I wanted to take this opportunity to communicate with you all for the first time in 2022. The next two days will see more Rebels teams in action in one weekend than ever before, something that we should all be very proud of. Our Super W team are back in Melbourne playing for the first time in 742 days, our Rebels A Team are playing in the Curtain Raiser for our Super W team and our Men’s team are in Queensland taking on the Fijian Drua for the first time ever.

This weekend is also Rugby Australia’s Women in Rugby round and we are very proud of the fact that our Super W team will run out onto the paddock as the first Super W team to be paid. This is a fundamental right, they are an integral part of the heartbeat of everything we do, and we are very proud to be leading the other clubs in this area. Good luck to Alana, Mel and the whole team, we are extremely proud of all of you and can’t wait to see you in action.

The Rebel’s A team playing is made up of local academy talent, Rebels squad members and Dewar Shield players – it shows our approach to local development in both our men’s and women’s games is working. Over 30% of our contracted men’s squad, and 90% of our women’s squad, are from the local Victorian community, our local players. We are building amazing local talent that will continue to grow and perform on the world stage. And speaking of local talent, I am excited to watch Josh Canham make his Super Rugby Debut tonight. A BORN & BRED VICTORIAN Josh has travelled the whole pathway of Rugby Vic and is a real success story of what the addition of the Melbourne Rebels has brought to Australia. He has grown up wanting to be a Rebel and will lead the next generation of BURN BOYS. Also making their debuts are Lukas Ripley, a star on the rise fresh from a week long Junior Wallabies camp and Nick Jooste and Josh Hill on the bench, with Tamati Ioane making his starting debut.

Whilst it is exciting to see this fresh new talent, it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge one of the reasons for so many new faces, and that is because of an unfortunately high level of injuries amongst our squad. We aren’t about making excuses at the Rebels and that’s why we don’t focus too much on who isn’t on the field, but following some member feedback and questions, I did want to be very open and honest with the status of some of our key players and their injuries.

Firstly, the positive news, we are hopeful to see the following Senior Rebels players return over the coming weeks:
- Andrew Kellaway
- Reece Hodge
- Jordan Uelese
- Ross Haylett-Petty
- George Worth

But for those who know our squad well, it does mean that there are still plenty of familiar faces missing – for example for tomorrow’s game there are 14 players in total unavailable for selection including 5 capped Wallabies (Hodge, Kellaway, Leota, Uelese, and Hardwick), 3 Wallaby Squad members (Hosea, Fa'amausili and Kemeny) and three Australian 7’s reps in Pincus, Anderson and Skelton as well as Stacey Ili and Ross Haylett-Petty and George Worth. Like you all, I am sure Head Coach Kevin Foote would love to have that selection headache trying to fit all these names into our starting XV.

The number of injuries is concerning and the club is engaging with surgeons and medical practitioners who are regarded the best in their field of work and these practitioners are currently working closely with our medical team to ensure the return of our injured players as quickly and professionally as possible.
Injuries aside, the results of the opening two matches of the season and particularly our home game last Saturday night, are not up to the standard that our Club, our partners, members, and fans, expect and deserve. We know you deserve better and the players and coaching staff and all at the club are 100% committed on delivering this.
Whilst the results on the pitch are paramount to our success as a club, I also wanted to update you on a few other developments at the club from the past few months.

1. This year is the best commercial year we have had in many years, we are making huge progress with our sponsors and partners and with the broader business community. This is an endorsement of the culture, drive, focus and passion of our great Club.

2. Our local game at every level is growing, we are a heartland rugby State, it’s showing up in the numbers and now the performance of the individuals in our professional teams.

3. Our Victorian Government is investing in rugby more than any other State in this country. We’ve already made announcements about the Rugby Victoria State Centre of Excellence, and there is much more to come in the coming weeks.

Lastly, Club’s are made up of special people. And each person I talk to and engage with around our great Club, and rugby in general, is special. Whether you’re in the stands, out at our Clubs, talking to sponsors or strapping on your boots, you make up the fabric of this great game we love. You are all important.

I thank you for your support, we are on a wonderful journey together, admittedly sometimes tough. Please know that together we are on the right path.
Go the Rebels!!

All the best,

Paul Docherty
Chairman

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wasted my time for 12 years supporting these insipid losers for what? We have never once had a year where we won more games then we lost. The club keeps talking about playing for the city but right now all they do is disgrace the city. We need change from the top down

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
From 173 super rugby games we have won 55, drawn 2 and lost 116 with a success rate of 31.79%

That would mean 4.5 wins this year and at the moment I would take that in a heartbeat

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
No idea but if he is fit he must be picked ahead of Tuttle. Tuttle has had a horrible start to the season.
Sorovi apparently playing on Saturday for Rebels A team according to Rebels website:
'Recruit Moses Sorovi adds some experience at the halves pairing with Mason Gordon, while local Endeavour Hills star Lebron Naea combines with Divad Palu at Centre."

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Scott Wisemantal was to join the Rebels last week to assist in their training but was caught in northern NSW with the floods. Melbourne need help quickly. The actions of Foote appear to be erratic. I was a the game last night and took notice of Foote’s actions after the game with the players, and it’s a given that Foote is not the answer. Melbourne have struggled with the role for years and now it’s time to recruit at the top based on credentials.
There are many players in this team that are capable of delivering better than what we are seeing, regardless of how many players are out injured. Last night was the alarm that RA needs to step in this week to get these players back on track. There are too many players that will get swallowed up with this decline. I felt for Lukas Ripley last night. He was put into a situation that was out of his depth, and not because of his capabilities. Powell is playing a frustrated game and each game his head is dropping further and further. Gordon needs to start at flyhalf, To'omua just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Mick The Munch

Ron Walden (29)
The day after the night before. I hope I’m wrong but there seems to be a despondency across the players - which will happen when you lose 9 on the bounce (or whatever it is) - if there is a plan they don’t seem to know it. Yes we have heaps of injuries but if there was a game plan player can slot in.

the brightest star was Canham who looks ready for Super Rugby.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The day after the night before. I hope I’m wrong but there seems to be a despondency across the players - which will happen when you lose 9 on the bounce (or whatever it is) - if there is a plan they don’t seem to know it. Yes we have heaps of injuries but if there was a game plan player can slot in.

Canham was ok. TV footage probably made him look better. Too many mistakes and positioning wasn’t great. A bit to go.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

its rather frustrating when you can put a 20yo 1st gamer in your best 4 players on the night

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wasted my time for 12 years supporting these insipid losers for what? We have never once had a year where we won more games then we lost. The club keeps talking about playing for the city but right now all they do is disgrace the city. We need change from the top down

FWIW I started following Eastwood in the Shute Shield in 1953. We won our first First Grade Premiership in 1999! I played in our first ever premiership winning team, Third Grade in 1962. We have had patches of success, but those long early years were pretty difficult!

If you love rugby, and live in Rebels territory, stick with them. What's the alternative?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scott Wisemantal was to join the Rebels last week to assist in their training but was caught in northern NSW with the floods. Melbourne need help quickly. The actions of Foote appear to be erratic. I was a the game last night and took notice of Foote’s actions after the game with the players, and it’s a given that Foote is not the answer. Melbourne have struggled with the role for years and now it’s time to recruit at the top based on credentials.
There are many players in this team that are capable of delivering better than what we are seeing, regardless of how many players are out injured. Last night was the alarm that RA needs to step in this week to get these players back on track. There are too many players that will get swallowed up with this decline. I felt for Lukas Ripley last night. He was put into a situation that was out of his depth, and not because of his capabilities. Powell is playing a frustrated game and each game his head is dropping further and further. Gordon needs to start at flyhalf, To'omua just doesn’t cut the mustard.
Well said and yes good to hear Scott was going to help out with training as this is exactly the sort of intervention and support from RA that should happen as the rebels are clearly in crisis mode and in need of help.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
FWIW I started following Eastwood in the Shute Shield in 1953. We won our first First Grade Premiership in 1999! I played in our first ever premiership winning team, Third Grade in 1962. We have had patches of success, but those long early years were pretty difficult!

If you love rugby, and live in Rebels territory, stick with them. What's the alternative?
Look between local footy/rugby the AFL/ super rugby it gets hard supporting 4 sides

I love the club but we need change this can’t continue. Either some of the lads need to actually stand up and make the change happen or we move them on

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Look between local footy/rugby the AFL/ super rugby it gets hard supporting 4 sides

I love the club but we need change this can’t continue. Either some of the lads need to actually stand up and make the change happen or we move them on

They could not afford to lose so many key players to injury, that's for sure.