• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nice story about Rob Leota, Rebel man just beat me to it
Nice trip down memory lane, unsurprising that the characters who shaped Rob's career are also the same for so many other Victorian players. Makes me realise how Victorian rugby is powered by a surprisingly few incredibly dedicated, generous and often unpaid volunteers.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
1678404755538.png

Come see Rebels A tonight before the big game, FREE FOOTY.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know Carter Gordon's background? club, school, rep history?

Both Sunshine Coast Grammar boys (same as Tate McDermott and Louis Werchon). Went to BBC on scholarships. Played for Wests club as Jnrs too.

Played Aussie Schoolboys.

Carter had a contract with the Reds but left when JOC (James O'Connor) said he’d hang around. Mason signed with the Rebels straight out of school.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Another RV product playing around the world, Seb Sialau (quins) an u/18 academy player from last yr is playing for Kintetsu in japan. A couple of yrs development in Japan might be good for him to hopefully return one day

sialau.jpg

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bit of 10 & 12 I believe, in a couple of years we are going to need some more midfield depth. I just get the feeling that Kellaway might try to cash in next contract as well.
I wish we had a system were we could contract more of our young players then loan them out for development

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wish we had a system were we could contract more of our young players then loan them out for development
Not sure a system like that would help the Rebels on balance - you might keep a kid like this, but you'd have a much harder time signing guys like Ripley, Hough and the Gordons if QLD could've put them on good contracts and sent them to Japan for a season or two.

As it stands I think the path forward right now is following the lines of the wests partnership you've been building and likely duplicating it in Sydney. You can still only sign the guys you fit into the cap but you give those academy guys the best possible opportunity to develop while you've got them, still somewhat within your systems. At least that's the best I can see until there's a real third tier to work with.