• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Blues, Round 7 2012, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Rather than clogging up the team thread with news on this one.

Team has been announced:

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/6005/Default.aspx

STARTING TEAM:
1. LOOSEHEAD PROP - Nic Henderson
2. HOOKER - Adam Freier
3. TIGHTHEAD PROP - Rodney Blake
4. LEFT LOCK - Luke Jones
5. RIGHT LOCK -Hugh Pyle (vc)
6. LEFT FLANKER - Jarrod Saffy
7. RIGHT FLANKER - Michael Lipman
8. NUMBER EIGHT - Gareth Delve (c)
9. SCRUMHALF - Nick Phipps
10. FLYHALF - Danny Cipriani
11. LEFT WING - Mark Gerrard
12. INSIDE CENTRE - James O'Connor
13. OUTSIDE CENTRE - Mitch Inman
14. RIGHT WING - Lachlan Mitchell
15. FULLBACK - Kurtley Beale

REPLACEMENTS:
16. RESERVE - Ged Robinson
17. RESERVE - Laurie Weeks
18. RESERVE - Alister Campbell
19. RESERVE - Tim Davidson
20. RESERVE - Richard Kingi
21. RESERVE - Julian Huxley
22. RESERVE - Lloyd Johansson

Edit: Blues Much less accomadating:

http://www.theblues.co.nz/Draw-And-Results/Players/2012-04-05.aspx

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The 3 amigos finally play in front of a home crowd. They were awesome up in Brisbane.

KFC Weepu on the bench for the Blues. Hope he gets to enjoy the world famous AAMI Park chicken strips & chips, or 2.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I was actually thinking that was a pretty decent bench. Particularly the forwards.

Robinson, Weekes, Campbell and Kingi would be a yes. My thoughts were similar but didn't elaborate enough. If Cips, JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale get subbed with the game still to be won i'd be annoyed. Was surprised that Beale got bought off so early last week or was there an injury concern.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What? You don't rate the two Wallabies backs they have on the bench? :D

Pet peeve #1: commentators are now referring to tourists as Wallabies and referring to a player as a wallaby despite not playing for years (and years in a few cases). Huxley i can understand, but who gave Johannson a cap?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Robinson, Weekes, Campbell and Kingi would be a yes. My thoughts were similar but didn't elaborate enough. If Cips, JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale get subbed with the game still to be won i'd be annoyed. Was surprised that Beale got bought off so early last week or was there an injury concern.

Everything about Hill's tenure has indicated to me he's a long term planner sort. I'd say the KB (Kurtley Beale) decision was a man-management thing for someone returning from a long term injury.

Hux and Johansson will be better coming off the bench. There is less opportunity for them to be tired and succumb to lapses in defensive judgment.

Pet peeve #1: commentators are now referring to tourists as Wallabies and referring to a player as a wallaby despite not playing for years (and years in a few cases). Huxley i can understand, but who gave Johannson a cap?

I believe that was a while ago, when he was playing for the Reds and the 'next big thing'. Wikipedia has him at 20 caps, including a try against the ABs; so he hardly counts as a tourist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Johansson

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Note I only said two. I didn't include Kingi because he isn't a Wallaby.

In regards to Johansson, I was overseas that year and missed all the rugby so I just pretend it didn't happen.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I believe that was a while ago, when he was playing for the Reds and the 'next big thing'. Wikipedia has him at 20 caps, including a try against the ABs; so he hardly counts as a tourist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Johansson

Profile on Rebels site has him at 3 Test Caps.

The comment about the tourists was in reference to a commentator constantly calling the Reds bench all Wallabies when it had Van Humphries and Lucas on it, think one other as well that hadn't made it. I know its picky, but it happens fairly regularly.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
That would have to be the strongest side the Blues have named all season. Roly Poly has been relegated to the bench too I see.

The Rebels are going to have their work cut out for them. If this stuttering Blues outfit fires on Thursday, it could get messy.

D

daz

Agree that a tourist does not count.

But frankly, as far as I am concerned, once that first cap has been earned it is a case of once a Wallaby always a Wallaby.

I think it would be a marvellous thing to be able to tell the grandkids that I might only have one cap, but I'm a Wallaby. I'd never want that that taken away from me.

It's why I am tolerant of people refering to several less-than-good players who made the big show as Wallabies...even though I hope to never see them in Gold again.

:)

D

daz

I'm going out on a limb here...Rebels for the upset.

Yes, you heard me correctly.

D

daz

Won't really be an upset if they win.

You don't think the Rebels beating the Blues would be an upset?

I know the Blues are down in the cellar with the Rebels, and it is not like I tipped the Rebels to beat the Stormers or the Highlanders, but it would still be an upset.

Maybe just a small one, but one all the same.....

Status
Not open for further replies.