• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Blues, Round 7 2012, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
No. Too much pressure on them to win. Too many injuries to key players. too many changes to the squad. I think they are there for the taking for a sufficiently motivated and skilful team. But then again, the new blood might just be hungrier have than those they replaced.
It really is a tough call when you sit down and consider everything. Its not like the Blues are playing well and riding a wave of confidence. But then I am in the South Island so would take mean pleasure in the sight of them losing.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Had to be done, couldn't help myself.

piriweepu_16t60ce-16t60cp.jpg
+
kfc+bucket+of+chicken.jpg
=
piri+weepu.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pet peeve #1: commentators are now referring to tourists as Wallabies and referring to a player as a wallaby despite not playing for years (and years in a few cases). Huxley i can understand, but who gave Johannson a cap?
I actually thought you were a Wallaby if you toured as a player. I agree they not capped players, but when Wallabies play a mid week game, don't they play as Wallabies?? I certainly know there are quite a few plaqyers that were All Blacks without ever playing a test . ie; John Mitchell

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I actually thought you were a Wallaby if you toured as a player. I agree they not capped players, but when Wallabies play a mid week game, don't they play as Wallabies?? I certainly know there are quite a few plaqyers that were All Blacks without ever playing a test . ie; John Mitchell

I believe you have to play against another nation. IE: a mid-week game vs leicester would not count.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I believe you have to play against another nation. IE: a mid-week game vs leicester would not count.

Not sure if thats right JB. Yes a 'test cap' isn't awarded without it being against another test nation and/or an IRB sanctioned team (ie Pacific Islanders, World XV), however when the Australian team plays in a midweek game it's not Australia A that is playing per se, it's still the "Wallabies". It's not test status but still a wallaby team.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure if thats right JB. Yes a 'test cap' isn't awarded without it being against another test nation and/or an IRB sanctioned team (ie Pacific Islanders, World XV), however when the Australian team plays in a midweek game it's not Australia A that is playing per se, it's still the "Wallabies". It's not test status but still a wallaby team.

Ah, I think I follow. Yes, it would be arguable that someone who played in those games is a 'Wallaby'.

But, my definitional basis is that playing in one of those games would not preclude an uncapped player from playing for any other international team, to the best of my understanding. While this characteristic is not exclusive to being a Wallaby, as it can occur through 7s representation or Australia A, I find it difficult to classify someone who might run out for the All Blacks or Italy or whatever in a years time a Wallaby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ah, I think I follow. Yes, it would be arguable that someone who played in those games is a 'Wallaby'.

But, my definitional basis is that playing in one of those games would not preclude an uncapped player from playing for any other international team, to the best of my understanding. While this characteristic is not exclusive to being a Wallaby, as it can occur through 7s representation or Australia A, I find it difficult to classify someone who might run out for the All Blacks or Italy or whatever in a years time a Wallaby.
Actually JB, I think they do become unavailable for other countries once they have represented Wallabies even mid week, and thought that playing 7s precluded a player from playing for another country. I am trying to think of player that grew up in NZ that played one game for Fiji (think he had one Fijian parent) that went overseas because he then couldn't play for ABs and wasn't interested in Fiji. It early in morning I about to go to work so someone will bang his name in here to save me trying to remember.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Actually JB, I think they do become unavailable for other countries once they have represented Wallabies even mid week, and thought that playing 7s precluded a player from playing for another country.

Yeah, 7's locks you. Not disputing that.

The other, you may be right. The relevant provision appears to be Reg. 8.3(b):

8.3 For the purposes of this Regulation, a Player is deemed to have played for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team of a Union if:
(b) He is selected to represent a Union’s senior Touring Squad on an International Tour which includes an International Match or Matches approved by the IRB and is present at any fifteen-a-side Match played on that International Tour either as a replacement, substitute or a playing member of a team selected from the Union’s senior Touring Squad and has, at the time of the Match, reached the age of majority; or

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Actually JB, I think they do become unavailable for other countries once they have represented Wallabies even mid week, and thought that playing 7s precluded a player from playing for another country. I am trying to think of player that grew up in NZ that played one game for Fiji (think he had one Fijian parent) that went overseas because he then couldn't play for ABs and wasn't interested in Fiji. It early in morning I about to go to work so someone will bang his name in here to save me trying to remember.

Isa Nacewa.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Blues Team:

Tony Woodcock
Kevin Mealamu
Charlie Faumuina
Filo Paulo
Ali Williams
Chris Lowrey
Daniel Braid
Brad Mika
Alby Mathewson
Gareth Anscombe
Renee Ranger
Ma'a Nonu
Benson Stanley
Lachie Munro
Rudi Wulf

Tom McCartney
Tevita Mailau
Liaki Moli
Daniel Pryor
Piri Weepu
Michael Hobbs
Hadleigh Parks

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cheers BR, it had just jumped into mind about 10 minutes ago, you know how it is trying to retrieve info from the depths of the mind when you not as young as you used to be. Couldn't remember how to spell it though:oops:

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Q: Do most of you forumites indulge in pre-game drinks? Please don't say at the Precinct. If you don't and want to, PM me.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Q: Do most of you forumites indulge in pre-game drinks? Please don't say at the Precinct. If you don't and want to, PM me.

I generally catch up with mates in the city, either at Beer Deluxe or one of the other fine establishments with a more prolific beer list. This week however, I suspect I'll be at work until shortly before the game.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

Yeah, 7's locks you. Not disputing that.

The other, you may be right. The relevant provision appears to be Reg. 8.3(b):

8.3 For the purposes of this Regulation, a Player is deemed to have played for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team of a Union if:
(b) He is selected to represent a Union’s senior Touring Squad on an International Tour which includes an International Match or Matches approved by the IRB and is present at any fifteen-a-side Match played on that International Tour either as a replacement, substitute or a playing member of a team selected from the Union’s senior Touring Squad and has, at the time of the Match, reached the age of majority; or

I always thought that it was dependant on the 'quality' of the oposition. I.e. If you run out as a member of the Wallabies against Lienester or a Counties squad then it did not preclude you from playing for another country. Has to be senior A level and above. I believe that 'A level' is then determined by the IRB - i.e South Africa A counts but Kasicstan A doesn't. Getting very complicated.......

Status
Not open for further replies.