• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Cheetahs, 22 April @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I suppose we're all over last week's abject performance and should start getting warmed up for Friday.

Will the turf survive?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Win essential to season.

Dom potentially out with that knee injury. And Weeks looked to be in a hell of a lot of back pain when subbed. Toby should be back, which is nice, but we'll still be missing a number of important backs. Wonder if Matsushima or Asquith will get the call up. Placid has been poor.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Dom will be out for the season, unfortunately.

I noted this in the main Rebels thread but Hagan the Irish prop was out on his feet in the last 10 minutes. He looked like he'd played the whole match, rather than being subbed on in the 2nd half. Not convinced he's fit enough, despite the shiny white boots.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So far, the Cheetahs only have two wins, against the Sunwolves twice. They've had some close games against some good teams though and have three loser's bonus points.

I reckon this will be a close one.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I would normally say the travel might get the Cheetahs, but they are used to it this season, so don't think it will be a factor.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So far, the Cheetahs only have two wins, against the Sunwolves twice. They've had some close games against some good teams though and have three loser's bonus points.

I reckon this will be a close one.

You've got a good draw when you play the Sunwolves twice. Some teams don't even get one go.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetahs under Franco Smith came some way and show what they can do. With them you never know, they have a very good scrum, with Lood a good lineout and watch out for young Schoeman in 8. In my books a future Bok. Marais in 10 look like a fatty but sure can get things going in the backs. Venter is the SA form midfielder. If they get it right on the day, they can beat any team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetahs
15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Segeal Petersen, 13 Nico Lee, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Niel Marais, 9 Shaun Venter, 8 Paul Schoeman, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Hilton Lobberts, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Lood de Jager, 3 Maks van Dyk, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1 Charles Marais
Substitutes: 16 Jacques du Toit, 17 Danie Mienie, 18 Luan de Bruin, 19 Carl Wegner, 20 Henco Venter, 21 Oupa Mohoje, 22 Tian Meyer, 23 Fred Zeilinga

No changes, watch out for Bruce Lee's son in 13

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just on the article. It says the last time we met the Cheetahs (Round 1 2014 Season) Colby, Sean, Bip, Toby, Tamati and Cruze all made their club (not Super, Club) debuts.

Now, maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but I thought Cruze made his debut against the BILs in 2013, because that was the first time we played with the 8 man bench. Doesn't really matter if I'm wrong, I just thought differently.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Just on the article. It says the last time we met the Cheetahs (Round 1 2014 Season) Colby, Sean, Bip, Toby, Tamati and Cruze all made their club (not Super, Club) debuts.

Now, maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but I thought Cruze made his debut against the BILs in 2013, because that was the first time we played with the 8 man bench. Doesn't really matter if I'm wrong, I just thought differently.

This was the matchday 23: (sounrce - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/23039189)

Rebels: Jason Woodward; Tom English, Mitch Inmar, Rory Sidey, Lachlan Mitchell; Bryce Hegarty, Luke Burgess; Nic Henderson, Ged Robinson, Laurie Weeks, Cadeyrn Neville, Hugh Pyle, Jarrod Saffy, Scott Fuglistaller, Gareth Delve (capt).
Replacements: Pat Leafa, Cruze Ah-Nau, Paul Alo-Emilie, Luke Jones, Jordy Reid, Nic Stirzaker, Angus Roberts, Cooper Vuna.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So I was right. Excellent. Like, not in a haha, suck it Rebels website/media guy way, just in a, I'm not going crazy way.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So I was right. Excellent. Like, not in a haha, suck it Rebels website/media guy way, just in a, I'm not going crazy way.

You're not crazy, you're a Broncos. Crazy - Broncos normal.

go crazy.jpg

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rebels team to face the Cheetahs (via melbournerebels.com.au)

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Jordy Reid
7. Sean McMahon
8. Adam Thomson
9. Nic Stirzaker (Captain)
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Sefa Naivalu
12. Tamati Ellison
13. Reece Hodge
14. Cam Crawford
15. Jonah Placid

Reserves
16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah Nau
18. Jamie Hagan
19. Sam Jeffries
20. Colby Fainga’a
21. Ben Meehan
22. Kotaro Matsushima
23. Sione Tuipulotu

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cruze did debut for the Rebs v the BIL but the Cheetahs (actually round 3) in 2014 was his real SU debut.

Just remember the day well. Had an exam the previous evening, so a late start. Few Scots were in the BILs line-up. Burgess was back from Toulouse and thrust straight into the starting line-up, with it being Stirzy's first Season and Phipps was with the Wobblies. Was thinking it was good to see a new loosehead, Henderson had played every game that season. Went out at met the old man in the city, has a couple beers. Big Ritchie just nullified Pyle, who was in ripper form at the time. Hegarty was looking to cement himself in the 10 jersey, and Gus was fit, having played with the combined country side the week previously. 2nd last match for quite a few too. Sidey, Saffy, Henderson, Ged, Vuna and Delve were all gone after the Highlanders game ~2 and a half weeks later.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)

The article also says Sione Tuipulotu was named for the first time since his debut v Reds in Rd 3 but he also played v Sunwolves in Rd 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.