• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds Rd 8 Good Friday 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm late to the discussion so forgive me for repeating some points.

I thought Gill was BOG in a canter. Just an immense presence in general play and at the ruck. Jones, McMahon and Leafa all put in great shifts, as did Slipper.

Re. Slipper and PAE at scrum time; Slipper showed his experience and outwitted the younger PAE regularly. I think PAE is as strong as an ox and will continue to improve, but Slipper showed why he's the premier loosehead.

Horwill is a goose sometimes. I think he'll leave the Reds with a strong legacy and a generally positive career reflection, but it's brain farts like that that risk him being written off as a thug.

Referee was garbage. I think both teams were on the receiving end of bamboozling calls and can rightly claim to have been dudded.

Rebels should be disappointed to have not broken the game earlier. 60 minutes against 14 men should yield more tries. I'm glad we won but would have preferred a more assertive result. On the flipside the Reds can take a degree of satisfaction for having kept it alive like they did. Whether that's due more to the Rebels impotence and lack of finish is another thing all together...

I set two KPIs for the match. 1: put a solid 'welcome home' hit on JOC (James O'Connor), and 2: win. Sefa put his shoulder into JOC (James O'Connor) all night (who, to his credit, never shirks a tackle) and we won, so champagne and bickies for all.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see what relevance his plans are for the next season has to do with his captaincy. If it was to give the future captain time to settle into the role while the current one is still there to guide and mentor, yes, that's understandable but to say, if you're leaving next year so we're stripping the captaincy this year is just childish.

That's it exactly. The logical reason behind the move.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see what relevance his plans are for the next season has to do with his captaincy. If it was to give the future captain time to settle into the role while the current one is still there to guide and mentor, yes, that's understandable but to say, if you're leaving next year so we're stripping the captaincy this year is just childish.

If a player was retiring then I'd agree. He's bloody leaving - jeez that would be a great example.
Add to that other points I have raised before like performance and he was always a goner.
Further add to that his first match against the Ponies and his next mindfuck last week and any doubts I may have had are dispelled forever.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
According to box scores I saw in paper it was just over 10,000. I find it interesting that the Rebels have not announced the crowd at their last 3 home games.

Yeah, and ominously I have also noticed that the Reds and Force have started to be very quiet over their home crowd levels.

It's now sometimes hard to find out what they are, and, for the first time I can recall, there are 'TBA' notices re S15 crowds in relation to some Reds and other teams' crowds at the AusStadiums website that used to have this data routinely provided and accurate for every match.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, and ominously I have also noticed that the Reds and Force have started to be very quiet over their home crowd levels.

It's now sometimes hard to find out what they are, and, for the first time I can recall, there are 'TBA' notices re S15 crowds in relation to some Reds and other teams' crowds at the AusStadiums website that used to have this data routinely provided and accurate for every match.

It is even worse when you consider that even with the Fox viewership figures added they still wouldn't fill the stadium. The game is in crisis, and in a way I think Pulver could be commended for extorting any increase in the broadcast deal. The question remains if the current pathway leads to growth or at best a stagnation at current levels.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It is even worse when you consider that even with the Fox viewership figures added they still wouldn't fill the stadium. The game is in crisis, and in a way I think Pulver could be commended for extorting any increase in the broadcast deal. The question remains if the current pathway leads to growth or at best a stagnation at current levels.

Luckily we have that rare promotional magnet - Israel Folau - to attract great crowds to our game at a cost of $1,5 million.

Keep up the good work Izzy (PS and I'm not blaming Israel here)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be either, scrubber (re Izzy). I know I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses, but I remember going to the Shute Shield final at a full SFS 1995, 1996, 1997. All when the game was purely amateur at that level.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i don't know the official attendance, but i was surprised at actually how big a crowd was there. i think well over 10k, based on my observations from prior games

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The crowd seemed like ten thousand or more , a great weekend for the interstaters ...go watch the Rebels/Reds ..then go see the Melb International Comedy Festival (not RG post match) ....will do it again ...great food (not at the ground) , leave pass -went with a Reds supporter ...Best on ground Liam Gill with Mcmahon , Jones making valuable contributions .

Status
Not open for further replies.