• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

REBELS v STORMERS RD 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was the hooker. What are you talking about?

I'm not talking about the penalty try.......

I'm talking about the dumb ruck infringement Habana gave away to put them out of the match.......

He's a serial offender when it comes to dumb penalties.........

And then he goes and throws a quick lineout to the Rebels..... geez.........

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
no JOC (James O'Connor), No beale, no probs.

Rest of this team is starting to gel which is great. Still need to work on defence. 3 tries from the stormers would have been 5 tries from a more attacking team.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
I'm not talking about the penalty try...

I'm talking about the dumb ruck infringement Habana gave away to put them out of the match...

He's a serial offender when it comes to dumb penalties...

And then he goes and throws a quick lineout to the Rebels... geez...
Your talking about the ruck where all the Rebel player was lying on the ground and BEKKER simply walked over?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I would like to have seen the other angle to see if Higgers knocked it or he dropped it backwards.

But if it wasn't a knock on then it deserved a penalty try. Such blatant foul play in front of the posts in a two horse race should favour the non cheating team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If you have a tv and latest technology that can see the hair up a props nose grow then there is no excuse

Not if there is someone standing in the way. The video ref sees the same footage we do. I didn't see any clear footage showing the knock on. Did you? (as in did he actually see an angle showing Higginbotham's hand on the ball).

I agree with you it probably was, but as far as I understand unless there is conclusive (ie a shot from the other side) than the video ref can't rule.

The penalty try was harsh - but if you pull a guy back that close to the try line with no-one (at the time) in front of him, you are rolling the dice. I actually agree with the video ref that he would have got there, but I was still surprised he gave it.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Penalty try.

Absolute rubbish.

No way that was conclusive.

That's a home town decision if EVER I've seen one.

Following on nicely from the bias shown against the Chiefs a few weeks ago.

Regardless, well done Rebels.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
The rebels are bloody lucky there. Stormers got fucked over hard. Saying that. Good for Aussie rugby.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would like to have seen the other angle to see if Higgers knocked it or he dropped it backwards.

But if it wasn't a knock on then it deserved a penalty try. Such blatant foul play in front of the posts in a two horse race should favour the non cheating team.
A penalty try occurred when there is no doubt a try would of been scored. Habana could of fit there there for a penalty try should not be awarded. If it was only Phipps and the man pulling him back then it is fair enough.

hazzaj

Alfred Walker (16)
10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
(a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally
infringe any law of the game, or play unfairly. The player who
intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned
that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is
committed, or sent off. After a caution a player is temporarily
suspended for a period of ten minutes playing time. After a
caution, the the player commits the same or similar offence, the
player must be sent off.
Penalty: Penalty Kick
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that
would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who
prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be
cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That should've been a penalty at the most. I would have been pretty sour if we lost, not sure if you fellas caught the jeers through the tv but when Pieterson converted Bekker's try he shifted the footy a generous metre in from touch.

Iffy calls all night from the main ref against both teams but Rebels certainly got the rub of the green when it counted.

There're the makings of a solid squad being assembled down here in Melbourne. Bring on the Tahs!

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
A penalty try occurred when there is no doubt a try would of been scored. Habana could of fit there there for a penalty try should not be awarded. If it was only Phipps and the man pulling him back then it is fair enough.

It's not a matter of doubt, it's the referee's opinion of a likely outcome.

Phipps was held back when he was potentially one out with Habana and the line. He was thus intentionally denied a fair shot at a try.

Doing my best to remove all bias - which is hard because I'm pretty pumped at the moment - as a referee, I would have made the same call.

And to be fair, they're always going to give benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

If we had to wait for the referee to clear all doubt that Phipps would have beaten Habana, we'd have been there all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.