• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs, rd15 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Accommodation booked in Melbourne for the match on Friday, 24 May. Who's coming down with me? Will a lunch at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar on Saturday suffice as adequate enducement?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you get time, you hop on the 1 or the 8 tram up Lygon street for about 10 mins towards East Brunswick (my neck of the woods) and you'll wind up at one of my favourite restaurants in Melbourne.........

A little Sicilian place called "Bar Idda" (pronounced Bar Idza).

Great food. Super friendly staff. Reasonably priced.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Her Majesty and I are down in Melbourne for four days for this match, Bar Idda here we come!

PS. Trams up Lygon Street? Que? I can't remember any trams in Lygon Street, the bottom end at least.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, not at the bottom end (the tourist end ;))........

The 1 and 8 trams come up Swanston St, turn into Elgin and then go up Lygon at the top of the Carlton shopping district.

I much prefer the East Brunswick end of Lygon Street for restaurants and bars.........

But if you do go to Bar Idda book ahead: http://www.baridda.com.au/

I might actually go there this week... :D

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Righto, who's joining me in Melbourne this Friday?

On another note, when was the last time two Oz sides met both coming off a win?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big choice for the Tahs this week will be what to do with Berrick Barnes.

Given that McKibbin had a poor game, it might be the time to give Lucas a start and then also bench Foley because we're changing the usual combination anyway.

Barnes could also play fullback and shift Folau to the wing.

Whilst I'd be perfectly happy having Barnes on the bench and decide at halftime who he comes on for, it would seem unlikely after his excellent performances off the bench in the last two weeks.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
personally i think all 10 tahs players in the wallabies sqaud should rest this weekend, and give the reds players a rest the following saturday (long trip back from SA) and the brumbies blokes off just before the lions series.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
personally i think all 10 tahs players in the wallabies sqaud should rest this weekend, and give the reds players a rest the following saturday (long trip back from SA) and the brumbies blokes off just before the lions series.
Would be nice alright, look after the Australia teams interest. It's not like a Australian team won't make finals at the end of the season.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
If you get time, you hop on the 1 or the 8 tram up Lygon street for about 10 mins towards East Brunswick (my neck of the woods) and you'll wind up at one of my favourite restaurants in Melbourne...

A little Sicilian place called "Bar Idda" (pronounced Bar Idza).

Great food. Super friendly staff. Reasonably priced.

good on you slim. i didn't think you had it in you - great restaurant.

as recently voted in some international pizza competition, 300 gradi is the best pizza in australia and it is right near bar idda. if you want an incredible, proper north american style burger, go to B.EAST also right near by.
there is food a plenty in upper lygon. lower lygon is for thieves and vagabonds.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Any tactics decided yet on how to counter the Rebels best player - MO, T?

best tactic is to not cheat.

tahs will get up here, but i think it will be a cracker of a game. both centre pairings playing well. assuming JOC (James O'Connor) is back that's two quality running fly halves. woodward and folau are both exciting fullbacks with ball in hand, but you guys will have the wood on us with hooper and your front row.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hope Pyle continue's his good form and proves that he should be one of the Locks in the Wallabies squad. Would expect to see Deans in the crowd for this one.

With JOC (James O'Connor) and possibly Vuna back our back line should be looking pretty good.

9) Nick (One of them)
10) JOC (James O'Connor)
11) Vuna
12) English
13) Inman
14) Sitauti
15) Woodward

Would look pretty good to me with the other Nick, Hegarty and Sidey/Mitchell on the bench.

D

daz

My pre-game drinkies plan depends on the weather.

If it is dry, I will be holding court at Beer Deluxe in Federation Square (opposite Flinders St Station in the CBD).

If it is wet, I will be propping up a booth at PJ O'Briens in Southbank.

All welcome to attend, then it is a short 10 minute stroll from either location to AAMI park for the game. River taxi up the Yarra might be going as well which would be nice if it is chucking down. $9 per person.

It will be a cracking night. Love to see a GAGR gathering in Melbourne.

D

daz

I'm going to have a go at stating the bleedin' obvious:

Both teams are proven, and in form, attacking teams. Defence, discipline in the defending 22 and control of the breakdown will win this, pure and simple.

I think Berrick Barnes will be the key to the Tahs winning. Good field position and not just kicking the ball away (as he is sometimes prone to do) might give the Tahs the edge.

Rebels are sky high with confidence, but so are the Tahs. Who will win? Absolutely no idea.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
My pre-game drinkies plan depends on the weather.

If it is dry, I will be holding court at Beer Deluxe in Federation Square (opposite Flinders St Station in the CBD).

My friends and I are often at Beer Deluxe before of after the game, I'll keep an eye out for you.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Think the Tahs will just have too much up front for this one, also Michael Hooper looks in smashing form and the Rebels just don't have enough to match the Tahs here I think.

Both backlines are playing some lovely stuff, I think with Folau, Foley and Barnes the Tahs have just a bit more creativity and control which should see them home. Make no mistake about it though this is going to be a close one! Should be good viewing for all the neutrals out there.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I think someone else has raised it before. But Cheiks faces a selection debate this week as to what to do with Barnes.

For my mind I'd like to see Barnes get at least 60 minutes of football this week in preparation for the Lions series.

So do you start Barnes at 10,12 or 15.... if so, who do you drop to the bench? Foley? Horne? Betham? Will be interesting to see what transpires.

Status
Not open for further replies.