• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs, rd15 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think someone else has raised it before. But Cheiks faces a selection debate this week as to what to do with Barnes.

For my mind I'd like to see Barnes get at least 60 minutes of football this week in preparation for the Lions series.

So do you start Barnes at 10,12 or 15.. if so, who do you drop to the bench? Foley? Horne? Betham? Will be interesting to see what transpires.

The Tahs have had remarkable stability in the inside backs this season. Hard to drop Horne, but if pushed, I'd stick with what worked in the second half of the Brumbies match and put Barnes at 12. Foley can use all the game time he can get, and Barnes outside him relieves the playmaking pressure. I can imagine Robbie would like to see Barnes get the full 80, too.

Alternatively, if the Tahs want to trial Folau on the wing, with Barnes at 15, this could be the match to do it. Would it be disrespectful to suggest the Rebels would be less likely to exploit any positional deficiencies he may show on the wing, compared to the Crusaders the following week?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barnes at fullback and Folau on the wing could be a good option. Trying to line Folau up to get a couple of one on one opportunities against Cooper Vuna wouldn't be a bad thing.

We all saw how that ended when he was faced with Frank Halai.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is Horne fit to play?

If Horne is fit to play, I'd be tempted to bench Foley, as well as Foley has been going. Otherwise, Barnes at 12. Although I think that Barnes' best position is 12, where he can step into 10 as needed, I think that the Tahs will get more from 10. Barnes 12. Horne then they will from 10. Foley 12. Barnes or 10. Foley 12. Horne. Fullback is the other option, but I think Barnes will provide more at 10 or 12 in Cheika's environment where Barnes' rubbish short tactical kicks are eliminated.

Problem is none of those players (Foley, Horne) really deserve to be dropped.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Barnes at fullback and Folau on the wing could be a good option. Trying to line Folau up to get a couple of one on one opportunities against Cooper Vuna wouldn't be a bad thing.

We all saw how that ended when he was faced with Frank Halai.

Barnes at Fullback and Folau on the Wing is really the option they should take - given that is where they are likely to play against the Lions... Not that the Tahs have to worry about that - only that I think they are not handicapped in any way by this option... Yes they need the Bonus point, but it will be very hard to get against this team.

Some very interesting fixtures this weekend - they wil all be pretty interesting from here on in... The Chiefs have a fairly easy game, whilst the Reds have a fixture from Hell, with no Digby... All things being equal, the Tahs need to put this one safely, and clinically in the Bank.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some very interesting fixtures this weekend - they wil all be pretty interesting from here on in. The Chiefs have a fairly easy game, whilst the Reds have a fixture from Hell, with no Digby. All things being equal, the Tahs need to put this one safely, and clinically in the Bank.

Surely the Chiefs don't have an easy game. The Crusaders are one of the form teams in the comp. They've won four in a row and two of those have been against the Brumbies and Blues. Two solid finals contenders.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Surely the Chiefs don't have an easy game. The Crusaders are one of the form teams in the comp. They've won four in a row and two of those have been against the Brumbies and Blues. Two solid finals contenders.

apologies - I mispoke...yes it is the Crusaders, I was thinking of the Highlanders - but I have the wrong weekend

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I play Barnes at 12, tough on Horne if he's fit to be dropped, but I liked having the 2nd kicking option in midfield. Does take away Hornes ability to get over the gain line, but if our back row can get on top that shouldn't be an issue

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A wise man (probably me) said: if its running sweet, don't fuck around with it. I'd imagine Cheika has done too much planning and put in too much work to see his apple cart screwed with now, especially in the centers where Mitch Inman has been shit-canning a number of defensive units on his way to the try line.

McKibbin is NOT running sweet. He had a few good weeks there, but last couple of games was back to jack shit. Foley has had a lot of game time lately and I can't help but think it might be worthwhile getting Berrick into a starting role to see if he's still on the page against fresh opposition. Therefore, what people are suggesting above i.e. a new halves combo, might be worth looking at. I think its time Grayson Hart got a go as well - real potential.

The pack should only have any changes required by injury, which is The Dwarf Ulugia for TPN. Holmes on the bench... ugh... I just threw up into my own mouth... I'd keep Ryan at THP under the obvious pressure there is to pick the other Wallaby THP.

The backline, besides the changes above, should not be screwed with. I wouldn't be moving Folau out of starting fullback now, just because its inconvenient in terms of Wallaby selection. Perhaps later in the game he can move out to blindside wing (in sweeper role).

Fat Cat, Dwarf, Irish
Douglas/Chapman, Timani
Dennis (c), Hooper, Palu
Lucas, Barnes
Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Betham, Mitchell
Folau

Bench: Holmes (*gags*), Kepu, Skelton, Chapman/McCutcheon, Hart, Foley, Crawford

Douglas may not be back of course, which would be a shame as he needs as much credit in the bank as possible, it would seem..

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Looking forward to Pyle proving he is a better option for the Wallabies than Timani.

Higgers also providing a interesting match up this weekend.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Pfitzy hart was tried a few times early in the season, and from memory was not an improvement on McKibbin. I wouldn't be surprised if Cheika has given him some time to improve outside of Super rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looking forward to Pyle proving he is a better option for the Wallabies than Timani.

Higgers also providing a interesting match up this weekend.

Timani holds up a scrum better and also defends a maul better. Pyle isn't going to prove he's a better option at all.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Timani holds up a scrum better and also defends a maul better. Pyle isn't going to prove he's a better option at all.
Pyle has scored 5 more trys, more tackles, line break, tackle busts, steals, runs and is only a lot more effective in the line out which he can also call. Pretty much better stats all over the park,

But your right he does not deserve a spot in the Wallabies because his not in the Tahs pack that is really only effective in the scrum and has one of the worst line out records in the comp.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Timani also takes more bludges rests in backplay better, stands in the lineout not jumping better, and gets held up for turnovers better. That's a lot of things that Timani is better at!

If Horwill can hold up the TH side, then the LH side doesn't need Timani packing down. You're clutching at straws if you're using "maul defence" to justify Timani's selection.

I really hope that Timani got selected over Douglas because of Douglas' concussion, because that's one selection that confuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.