• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Crusaders, Rnd 4, 14 March 2014 @ AAMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Ok, time to put the Force loss behind us and look towards the future.

For me I'd start by reinstating the starting team from the Cheetahs match. The combinations worked well and we shouldn't have broken them in the first place.

The Crusaders didn't look that impressive against the Stormers and we probably have more of a chance against them around the ruck base. Their set pieces were solid, but did miss more line outs that I'd expect.

Looking forward to the Higggers vs Read battle. A warm up for test season.

We really need to reconsider our kicking options form the back and be better at adapting our play. We clearly didn't do this against the Force.

If we take the same attitude in as we didn't against the force, we're stuffed. If we bring it like we did last time the Crusaders came, we'll have a good shot.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Are we expecting a good crowd for this fixture?
they have apparently pre sold a lot of tickets, and traditionally the 'saders draw a big crowd of expats in melbourne. pity we lost on the weekend, that may stop a few from coming, good weather expected. hopefully 15+ K

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any idea on the team list - for one I hope lachie Mitchell is a permanent omission and Woodward had a shocker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Any idea on the team list - for one I hope lachie Mitchell is a permanent omission and Woodward had a shocker

No idea team selections yet, but Rebels have reported no injuries from the weekend match. See:

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/n...t-rebels-injury-update-monday-10th-march-2014

As an aside I didn't realise Sam Jeffries was on the list. With Chris's retirement he might get a few runs this year.

Give it until Wednesday then the Rebel team should be announced. If you check back regularly usually the inside word gives us enough insight. Looks like Tom English will be back and I hope Woody (among others) bounce back form the weekends match.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tough opposition to have to bounce back against. The Force loss was so far from the Rebels thinking that it will effect confidence for a few rounds.

Crusaders by 10+

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I assume that Fug has served his penance and will come back in to the side this week. That means that one of Timani, Fainga'a or McMahon will have to drop out of the 23. I think I'd give McMahon the week off and start Timani and Fainga'a at 6 and 7.

Roberts out - Male Sau in, please.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Mitchell was one player who actually didn't stop trying on Saturday. Can't say much for most of the side, Mitchell and Kingston where screwed covering Woodward all day long when he played so badly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are some tough calls for McGahan this week.

The toughest one is whether to drop Woodward who was one of your worst against the Force but is generally one of your best players.

The easy calls are:

Weeks and Smith to start in the front row.
Jones to start at lock ahead of Neville
Hegarty to start ahead of Roberts at 10.

6 and 7 and the wing spots are pretty tricky.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd like to see:

1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Jones
6. Timani
7. Colby
8. Higgers ©
9. Burgo
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Sau
14. *
15. Ellison
16. Horie
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. Neville
20. Fuglistaller
21. Meehan
22. *
23. Woodward

* I can't decide between our 3 wing options. Mitchell never stops trying, Kingston is a good player, and I liked the Kiwi boy off the bench.

Give Seany a rest, given he's played 160 minutes, a 6 day break and a Perth flight.

Woodward needs to be benched, and Gus out the 23. If Stirzaker was available I'd have benched Burgo too.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Ominous reading on the injury front for the 'saders..

The Crusaders are likely to travel to Melbourne without prop Corey Flynn and halfback Willie Heinz.
Flynn has a suspected fractured eye socket while Heinz has injured a calf.
Blackadder told New Zealand media Flynn might have to undergo surgery and Heinz would probably be replaced in the touring party by Mitchell Drummond.
The Crusaders are already without Richie McCaw (broken thumb), George Whitelock (strained adductor) and Adam Whitelock (hamstring).
Champion back Dan Carter is having a sabbatical from rugby.

Probably explains why I thought their lineout was a bit dicey. Still will have a wonderful set piece, as they always do.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Jones
6. McMahon
7. Fuglistaller
8. Higgers ©
9. Burgo
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellsion
14. Kingston/Veainu
15. Woodward/Kingston
16. Horie
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. Timani
20. Colby/Reid
21. Meehan (has actually been pretty impressive so far for our number 3)
22. Mitchell
23. Veainu

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Jones
6. McMahon
7. Fuglistaller
8. Higgers ©
9. Burgo
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellsion
14. Kingston/Veainu
15. Woodward/Kingston
16. Horie
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. Timani
20. Colby/Reid
21. Meehan (has actually been pretty impressive so far for our number 3)
22. Mitchell
23. Veainu

I can't wait till Stirzaker is back from injury so Burgess can take his rightful place on the bench. Alot of tahs players I knew used to complain about his poor passing and he hasn't shown much of anything this season.

Jones is starting to show a bit more of the form which he frequently had at school boy level almost five years ago now and its good to see him rise to become a leader.

Hegarty has it over Roberts who should go back to the development team after the performance on the weeked.

In terms of the other backs Kingston is looking for work which is good and I would like to see him have a fun at fullback like he plays for uni. Then you could have two big hitting wingers in English and Veainu.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't wait till Stirzaker is back from injury so Burgess can take his rightful place on the bench. Alot of tahs players I knew used to complain about his poor passing and he hasn't shown much of anything this season.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think Stirzaker will waltz into the starting jersey ahead of Burgess when he returns from injury.

Burgess was one of the Rebels best against the Cheetahs. They were all pretty poor against the Force.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think you are kidding yourself if you think Stirzaker will waltz into the starting jersey ahead of Burgess when he returns from injury.

Burgess was one of the Rebels best against the Cheetahs. They were all pretty poor against the Force.

I have inside knowledge on that one :)

D

daz

Ok, this is just silly and has been discussed ad nauseum. Nic is currently the back up 9 and unless there is an injury or some other unexplained calamity, it will remain that way. He is not quite ready to take control of a starting game-day squad, week in and week out. Let's not break the kid before he is ready.

Secondly, Burgo had an absolute blinder in the Cheetahs game. The way he bossed the game was superb and even in the trials he was fantastic.

Yes, he has a few poor passes, but then again the incumbent Wallaby 9 gives away a try every time he box kicks. I'll take Burgo and a few shoddy passes every day.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that while Nic has an excellent passing game at the break down, in the heat of the battle his decision making is still a bit suspect. I have no doubt he will be a real goer at 9 in the future, but 2014 is not the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.