• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Crusaders, Rnd 4, 14 March 2014 @ AAMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Rebels to bounce back and win this.

I hope so, but after 2 rounds the Rebels are a bit like the French; we really don't know which team is going to turn up.

You would think that good trial form and a cracking opening game is the rule, and the Force game the exception, but really, after 2 rounds it is one good win and one poor loss.

No-one really knows which is the 2014 version yet.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think you are kidding yourself if you think Stirzaker will waltz into the starting jersey ahead of Burgess when he returns from injury.

Burgess was one of the Rebels best against the Cheetahs. They were all pretty poor against the Force.

I think Stirzaker is going to have to work to even get his place on the bench as Meehan has looked pretty good and deserves the place for now.

Burgess was Man of the Match against the Cheetahs, how short are people's memories? He was not the worst against the Force and looks a lot better with Hegarty compared to Roberts.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I hope so, but after 2 rounds the Rebels are a bit like the French; we really don't know which team is going to turn up.

You would think that good trial form and a cracking opening game is the rule, and the Force game the exception, but really, after 2 rounds it is one good win and one poor loss.

No-one really knows which is the 2014 version yet.

Crusaders are yet to set the world on fire. Rebels have it in them to beat them. The rest is up to them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ominous reading on the injury front for the 'saders..
Probably explains why I thought their lineout was a bit dicey. Still will have a wonderful set piece, as they always do.
The Crusaders are likely to travel to Melbourne without prop Corey Flynn and halfback Willie Heinz.
Flynn has a suspected fractured eye socket while Heinz has injured a calf.
Blackadder told New Zealand media Flynn might have to undergo surgery and Heinz would probably be replaced in the touring party by Mitchell Drummond.
The Crusaders are already without Richie McCaw (broken thumb), George Whitelock (strained adductor) and Adam Whitelock (hamstring).
Champion back Dan Carter is having a sabbatical from rugby.

The Crusaders will be vulnerable with their Whitelock Coefficient being very low due to a couple of them being selected for Team Rehab.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Speak up then. Otherwise you are just another gossip merchant.

Stirzaker is faster, strong and has a better pass. The only aspect Burgess has is experience - the speed and strength are based on the Rebels pre-season testing.

It will be a closer call than you think with Burgess also displaying a less focused attitude at training according to some of the team members

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Much as I love Stirzaker, he'll have to win the starting jersey off Burgess from the bench.

There's a few boys who need a massive rocket up the arse after last week - Pyle, Neville, Woodward, Higgers, PAE, Lahiff etc. Could include Roberts, but I don't think it was lack of effort with him, he's just not really up to it as a Soup flyhalf. As for this game, I hope we go back to the Rd. 1 lineup to be honest, with either Kingston and Veainu at 14 instead of Mitchell. I get that he works hard, but he still gets out of position and gets out-muscled. Woodward I'd give one more week. He's consistently been one of our best for a good long while now, shouldn't be dropped for one shocker - might do some serious damage to his confidence.

Jones simply has to start this week. Have we got any lock cover other than Neville? Any chance he gets dropped from the squad completely and Jones/Pyle play 80 with Timani Jr. or Reid coming onto the bench? Not sure about Colby. He didn't look right at all to me, miles off the pace. Is the best way to manage him bringing him back slowly via. the bench or is he not even up to that at the moment?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Stirzaker is faster, strong and has a better pass. The only aspect Burgess has is experience - the speed and strength are based on the Rebels pre-season testing.

It will be a closer call than you think with Burgess also displaying a less focused attitude at training according to some of the team members
Stirzaker's pass is top notch.

T

Train Without a Station

Those pre-season testing results are great Scythe. If only rugby was played in a gym.

T

Train Without a Station

As a gym monkey who looks the goods and struggles on the field, I'd love to say how important gym results are. But realistically, they are only relevant if players are close to similar quality without them.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Stirzaker is very slight, I'd be astonished if he was stronger than Burgess. Regardless, Burgess is pretty clearly the superior defender which we know is something McGahan values. I'd still rather see Stirzaker starting sooner rather than later. I reckon you gain a lot more than you lose with him, Burgess is a perfect 'last 20' sort of scrumhalf as well. Can definitely see the argument for starting Burgess though, which I never really could with Phipps.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crusaders: Israel Dagg, Nafi Tuitavake, Ryan Crotty, Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Samuel Whitelock, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Dominic Bird, Jordan Taufua, Mitchell Drummond, Kieron Fonotia, Nemani Nadolo.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If sport was played in a gym, guys like Tom Brady would never have gotten anywhere. Brady always had rotten numbers, yet trained his ass off in other ways (technically) and when given a shot took it and never let it go. If you get a chance, watch a documentary on Brady sometime, it's actually interesting stuff. He basically wasn't rated in the combine or draft at all and was an afterthought.

T

Train Without a Station

Somebody else has also seen "Year of the Quarterback - The Brady 6" I see. Good film. Give "The Todd Marinovich Project" a watch if you can. Very interesting.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
If sport was played in a gym, guys like Tom Brady would never have gotten anywhere. Brady always had rotten numbers, yet trained his ass off in other ways (technically) and when given a shot took it and never let it go. If you get a chance, watch a documentary on Brady sometime, it's actually interesting stuff. He basically wasn't rated in the combine or draft at all and was an afterthought.

James Hird has a similar story. A late late draft pick, applied himself and became a once in a generation player.

If Nic can keep his head screwed on and stop trying silly chip and chase kicks and flick passes then he'll come good. I like what I see, but he has a habit of trying the speculative moves before he or the pack have earned the right to do so.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Last digression from me on this topic, but Wayne Gretzky is another. Athletically inferior to his competitors, yet a superior player.

Back on topic: best of luck to the Rebels. If they can bounce back, they have a real shot at this. At home against a slow starting Crusaders, who are also riddled with injury.

They need their big players like Higgers, Pyle, Jones, etc to stand up and nullify the Crusaders forwards, who can link like backs if they get space.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Groundhog day on the starting 15:

1. Toby Smith
2. Pat Leafa
3. Laurie Weks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Sean McMahon
7. Scott Fuglistaller
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Luke Burgess
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Lachlan Mitchell
15. Jason Woodward
16. Shota Horie
17. Max Lahiff
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Colby Fainga'a
21. Ben Meehan
22. Angus Roberts
23. Telusa Veainu

Bit surprised Kingston has been dumped entirely otherwise it's what was expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.