• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Highlanders - AAMI Park - 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
There's been a lot of discussion about the other games but next to nothing about the Rebels vs the Highlanders. From my perspective, this has the potential to be a right cracker of a game. Surprisingly, a lot of commentators have been talking up the Rebels which probably isn't entirely justified, given the quality of the opposition they have beaten in their last two outings (no offence Force fans).

The Highlanders will not be as loose in defence as either the Hurricanes or the Force; this will be a brutal, front up game dominated by who wins the forwards battle. Add to that a pair of electric flyhalves and this could very well be a great game. I do not have the confidence of others in my team, but I will be very pleased if they do get up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't know about other people, but I have enjoyed the Rebels first season. Their underdog status has helped for sure, but I do enjoy seeing a well executed game plan. I may be contrary to the commentators view of what makes good Rugby but I enjoy seeing any game plan executed well and the Rebels territory game has been done very well indeed. They do need to tighten their defence, but given the people at their disposal Mcqueen must take huge credit for making a competitive side.

This game is on a knife edge for mine. In particular I am looking forward to the match ups between Saffy V Thompson and Phipps V Cowan.

I really feel that the Rebels can do this if they play with the required intensity and perhaps take a leaf from the Link coaching text book and select for the game, like having Rodzilla at LHP.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Forgot all about this game but it shapes to be a cracker. I think the clan will get up but happy to be proved wrong.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I never know quite what to think about the Rebels. They seem to find ways to win games that they shouldn't (eg the Kingi-Cips try) and they seem to be able to get other teams to play at their level. But I am not sure they can cover what the Highlanders bring to the table, which is a hard-nosed grafting forward pack with a couple of very good halves and serviceable outside backs. They are fresh from the bye with some recovering long term injuries, but can they absorb the Highlanders hard grinding forwards for the full 80?

I'll agonise over this one for the tipping comp but I suspect the Highlanders will just get over the line. You can't beat the odds every week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just realized how good this week's rugby is!

You've got this game which will be a cracker, the Crusaders/Chiefs, Blues/Tahs and Reds/Bulls.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
I really feel that the Rebels can do this if they play with the required intensity and perhaps take a leaf from the Link coaching text book and select for the game, like having Rodzilla at LHP.

I think you're right. And they have. Rebels 1-13 doesn't look too bad, would much prefer them to find a way to play Gerrard at 15 instead of Kingi.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
If they are playing at the Stockade, I expect the Rebels to win unless they are playing the Tahs/Crusaders.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Any guesses about the potential Rebels lineup? Hilgendorf, Vuna and McDonald are back from injury, which (if any) will crack the starting side? You would be mad to drop Cippers or break up the back row, so I'd suggest Vuna will go back onto the wing and the other two will warm the bench.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Reports are it is this:

RaboDirect Rebels v Highlanders
1 Rodney Blake
2 Ged Robinson
3 Greg Somerville
4 Alister Campbell
5 Hugh Pyle
6 Jarrod Saffy
7 Michael Lipman
8 Gareth Delve (vc)
9 Nick Phipps
10 Danny Cipriani
11 Cooper Vuna
12 Stirling Mortlock (c)
13 Mark Gerrard
14 Lachlan Mitchell
15 Richard Kingi

16 Heath Tessmann
17 Laurie Weeks
18 Adam Byrnes
19 Tim Davidson
20 Hoani Macdonald
21 Luke Rooney
22 Afusipa Taumoepeau

5:2 Split on the bench is the right choice for this sort of affair.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah the Highlanders have the biggest pack in the comp, week in, week out - and play big too.

5 forwards on the bench are going to be needed.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
And here is the Highlanders team (source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/4883422/Jimmy-Cowan-benched-for-Highlanders)

Highlanders:
15 Ben Smith,
14 Kade Poki,
13 Kendrick Lynn,
12 Shaun Treeby,
11 Siale Piutau,
10 Colin Slade,
9 Aaron Smith,
8 Nasi Manu,
7 Alando Soakai,
6 Adam Thomson,
5 Josh Bekhuis,
4 Jarrad Hoeata,
3 Chris King,
2 Jason Rutledge,
1 Jamie Mackintosh.
Reserves:
16 Brayden Mitchell,
17 David Te Moana,
18 Tom Donnelly,
19 Nick Crosswell,
20 Jimmy Cowan,
21 Robbie Robinson,
22 James Paterson

(My numbers, they seem right. I had to do some impromptu editing because despite the story being about Cowan being benched, he was on the team list. Ergo, I take no responsibility if it is wrong )

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Would love to see the Rebels win but the Highlander are a hard team. Will be watching this one with great interest.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Reports are it is this:

RaboDirect Rebels v Highlanders
1 Rodney Blake
2 Ged Robinson
3 Greg Somerville
4 Alister Campbell
5 Hugh Pyle
6 Jarrod Saffy
7 Michael Lipman
8 Gareth Delve (vc)
9 Nick Phipps
10 Danny Cipriani
11 Cooper Vuna
12 Stirling Mortlock (c)
13 Mark Gerrard
14 Lachlan Mitchell
15 Richard Kingi

16 Heath Tessmann
17 Laurie Weeks
18 Adam Byrnes
19 Tim Davidson
20 Hoani Macdonald
21 Luke Rooney
22 Afusipa Taumoepeau

5:2 Split on the bench is the right choice for this sort of affair.

Seems I made the right call, horses for courses and Rodzilla in at LHP. Mid field defence will be better with Gerrard at 13 and I like the 5:2 split for this game. If worse comes to worse I'd back Delve or Saffy or Lipman or Davidson to play in the centres as backline cover. Won't make them mobile but it would make a brick wall defence that would have to be kicked over and then Phipps and Kingi would need to be very switched on to sweep.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And the odds of a Rebels win drop significantly as I doubt the Rebels ability to adjust with two new centres who aren't.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Treeby especially, I have ben very impressed and I am concerned about both the Rebels centres being caught out, Hilgendorf in technique and Gerrard in positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.