• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Recording Everyone's DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
What are peoples thoughts on this?
Civil Libertarians are saying invasion of privacy.
The Victims of Crime advocacy group are saying if you done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think it is a great idea to catch crims, after all you are innocent until they can prove your DNA was involved at any crime.
But not at all keen for my DNA to be on file, even though I have no plans in the long term to be involved in anything naughty.
So in summary I think maybe they can go fuck themselves about getting my DNA, but I will feel safer knowing they have everyone elses!

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I can see the arguments for both sides, but I would err on the side of caution and say that I wouldn't be keen to have my DNA in a database. Who knows what they will do with it? No matter how well thought through it may be, there will more than likely be unintended consequences leading to another FUBAR situation.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I very much doubt it will get up. It is high ups in the police force really pushing for it.

I'd say they can kiss my arse but they would probably take a sneaky DNA swab whilst they are at it.

C

Cave Dweller

And on the other side some people want to patent DNA.

But why DNA? The age old finger print is unique to every person and does not involve needles, chips, bar codes and a Ethan Hawke thriller IMO

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually had a thought about this the other day.... my mind wanders off into strange places sometimes. After managing to grow a very nice set of finger nails over the last 8 months or so I managed to break half of them while camping the other weekend. I then thought, 'Hmmm. I wouder what would happen if one of my finger nails was subsequently found at the scene of a crime? Now would I justify being there and how would I prove my incoences?'.

Well, If I do something naughty, and it can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, you have very right to take my DNA. Until then, I am sorry you can just do without it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Governments and corporations already have too much information on individuals IMHO. I'm not that keen for them to have my DNA as well.

C

Cave Dweller

I actually had a thought about this the other day.... my mind wanders off into strange places sometimes. After managing to grow a very nice set of finger nails over the last 8 months or so I managed to break half of them while camping the other weekend. I then thought, 'Hmmm. I wouder what would happen if one of my finger nails was subsequently found at the scene of a crime? Now would I justify being there and how would I prove my incoences?'.

Well, If I do something naughty, and it can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, you have very right to take my DNA. Until then, I am sorry you can just do without it.
Nope just 50 to 70 percent

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There are very few successful prosecutions with DNA as the only evidence offered and few actually initiated.

It isn't crime and prosecution that I worry about. I worry more about Corporations getting hold of the information and using it Gattaca like to restrict life opportunity, insurance, services etc. all on probability calculated from your DNA.

C

Cave Dweller

How will twins use it?

There are very few successful prosecutions with DNA as the only evidence offered and few actually initiated.

It isn't crime and prosecution that I worry about. I worry more about Corporations getting hold of the information and using it Gattaca like to restrict life opportunity, insurance, services etc. all on probability calculated from your DNA.
People think forensic evidence is DNA more than anything else. Probably can not blame them as CSI and those programs suppose to be realistic shape it that way with DNA always there but you will only find it in sexual offenses mostly. DNA fingerprinting or the method use to do so is still not unique. I say that because DNA segments rather than complete DNA strands are “fingerprinted,” a DNA fingerprint may not be unique; large-scale research to confirm the uniqueness of DNA fingerprinting test results has not been conducted. Also DNA databases can be used to find people who stigmatizing illnesses such as AIDS

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
So how do we feel about DNA profiling? Determining sex, race, description, predisposition of certain diseases or possible relations.

More worms......

My thought about the crime thing was that since I live on my own it would be difficult to for me to prove that I was at home in bed on my own if my DNA was found at a crime sence and subsequently matched on a database. Yes I know that it is used less than what the CSI type programs depict, it was just where my head went whilst on an 8 hour drive.

C

Cave Dweller

So how do we feel about DNA profiling? Determining sex, race, description, predisposition of certain diseases or possible relations.

More worms......

My thought about the crime thing was that since I live on my own it would be difficult to for me to prove that I was at home in bed on my own if my DNA was found at a crime sence and subsequently matched on a database. Yes I know that it is used less than what the CSI type programs depict, it was just where my head went whilst on an 8 hour drive.
lol The testing done in criminal cases are not 100 percent accurate. Complete DNA strands that are fingerprinted is unique. But they do not do the complete strands but segments rather which is not unique. That is why they say 1 out xxx million/billion have that fingerprint. The testing is expensive as well. And if it can prove your innocence in something and you can not afford it then you will have to do without it.

DNA profiling? No bad idea. AIDS sufferers will get discriminated against plain fact.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
lol The testing done in criminal cases are not 100 percent accurate. Complete DNA strands that are fingerprinted is unique. But they do not do the complete strands but segments rather which is not unique. That is why they say 1 out xxx million/billion have that fingerprint. The testing is expensive as well. And if it can prove your innocence in something and you can not afford it then you will have to do without it.

DNA profiling? No bad idea. AIDS sufferers will get discriminated against plain fact.

Aids being a virus I wouldn't have thought that DNA testing would have an influence. I was thinking more along the lines of the breast cancer, dibeates, heart disease, kidney disease, cystic fibrosis type genes.

And yes the science is much more complex then we are lead to believe.

C

Cave Dweller

Aids being a virus I wouldn't have thought that DNA testing would have an influence. I was thinking more along the lines of the breast cancer, dibeates, heart disease, kidney disease, cystic fibrosis type genes.

And yes the science is much more complex then we are lead to believe.
Insurance companies would use such data to discriminate against the AIDS virus.In the United States, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has created a national database of genetic information called the National DNA Index System. The database contains DNA obtained from convicted criminals and from evidence found at crime scenes.

Take it like this SF. Cancer attacks bits of biochemical instructions aka the genes in the dna coil then start to mutate. Problem is genes tells proteins to be molecular laborers that serve as building blocks of cells, control chemical reactions, or transport materials to and from cells. Which ultimately control the body. So it corrupts bit by bit. But For a cell to become cancerous, usually three to seven different mutations must occur in a single cell. So it is not easy or none to slim to see if cancer is going to manifest later on. But corrupted cells will be easily detectable in your dna.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Cave Dweller you really should go and do some study on DNA sequencing and actually some study regarding HIV as there is nothing called the AIDS virus and Cancers for that matter.

DNA sequencing has very little to do with the HIV. If people are going to be discriminated against due to disease infection status on this the information will not be supplied by DNA sequencing.

The actual danger of discrimination is as I said corporations refusing employment or insurance coverage for individuals based on projected risks from their DNA profile.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cave Dweller you really should go and do some study on DNA sequencing and actually some study regarding HIV as there is nothing called the AIDS virus and Cancers for that matter.

DNA sequencing has very little to do with the HIV. If people are going to be discriminated against due to disease infection status on this the information will not be supplied by DNA sequencing.

The actual danger of discrimination is as I said corporations refusing employment or insurance coverage for individuals based on projected risks from their DNA profile.

I dont understand the difficulty with this: its a commercial arrangement in which one party insures a risk - why isn't it entitled to know as much about the risk as it possibly can in order to fix a price that reflects that risk or to decide not to accept that risk?

C

Cave Dweller

Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS), human viral disease that ravages the immune system, undermining the body’s ability to defend itself from infection and disease. Caused by the human immunodeficiency virus(HIV)
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
That is learned in school Cmon my friend

DNA and Cancer
Cancer begins in the genes, segments of the long, coiled molecule known as deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). Genes govern the body’s development and specific characteristics by providing critical instructions that trigger the production of proteins within the body. In cancer, certain genes fail to perform their jobs correctly. This computer-generated model shows two strands of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and its double-helical structure.
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
If you read you will see the word DNA fingerprinting. I suggest you go look up what that is.

Attachments

• cancer.jpg
    cancer.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.