• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
What is going to happen with Daley? He seems to be a liability at Prop at the moment. What are our options, we need to have a bench that can compete and he is really struggling. He is the only player I struggle to justify at the moment.

How will Taps fit back into the team?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Taps is a better player then Harris. Whilst Harris has been playing well this season, Tapuai is a future Wallaby, and also our best performing back before he got injured.

Prop depth is a worry for us. Holmes and Slipper are quality, but Daley does struggle, and its not like Anae or Shepherdson give us any confidence. Surley there are some quality props we can pick up. R Murphy would of been an ideal signing as he was playing for Easts, one of the Smith boys for GPS could be developed (Is it Ruan whose with the Force currently?). I don't know much about Kevin Davis and if he is worth hanging on to. But we need an established prop. We have an international spot open? Pick up an Argentine such as Figallo.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What side of the scrum does McDurling pack down on?

He is a TH lock I think. Not as tall as others but he has quite long arms so he is still a decent lineout player. I haven't really seen enough of him to comment much more.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What is going to happen with Daley? He seems to be a liability at Prop at the moment. What are our options, we need to have a bench that can compete and he is really struggling. He is the only player I struggle to justify at the moment.

How will Taps fit back into the team?
Last night I feared for Daley's safety at scrum time.
The Reds probably need to convert him to hooker over a 12mth period if they plan to keep him.
With Hanson only signing for 2013, this could be a win/win for the Reds in 2014.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
So if you have ant, harris and taps gtg who misses out?

Expect most here will say Harris. Not me, I really like what I have seen off Quade last couple of weeks his time at Wallabies has lifted his confidence.

Nice problem to have but not good for aussie rugby to have any of them riding pine.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Taps is a better player then Harris. Whilst Harris has been playing well this season, Tapuai is a future Wallaby, and also our best performing back before he got injured.

Prop depth is a worry for us. Holmes and Slipper are quality, but Daley does struggle, and its not like Anae or Shepherdson give us any confidence. Surley there are some quality props we can pick up. R Murphy would of been an ideal signing as he was playing for Easts, one of the Smith boys for GPS could be developed (Is it Ruan whose with the Force currently?). I don't know much about Kevin Davis and if he is worth hanging on to. But we need an established prop. We have an international spot open? Pick up an Argentine such as Figallo.

Anae is outstanding and it is a joke to even mention Murphy in the same breath as him. The last time they were in the same scrum Murphy was going backwards at a great rate of knots. The fact that he can play both loose head and hooker makes him very valuable also.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anae is outstanding and it is a joke to even mention Murphy in the same breath as him. The last time they were in the same scrum Murphy was going backwards at a great rate of knots. The fact that he can play both loose head and hooker makes him very valuable also.

Is it?

Murphy has been handling himself quite well in Super Rugby this year.......

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So if you have ant, harris and taps gtg who misses out?

None of them have missed out this year. With such injuries in the backline they've all had a similar amount of game time (Harris with more than the other two) so the development of them hasn't been hindered by either.

The more game time they have with Australia's premier halfback and debatable Fly-Half can't be a bad thing for their Wallabies cause. I can only really see Harris wanting to move, but the only option is really the Force as they need a 10. BUT I have my own concerns about Harris playing 10 as he's passing game (especially left to right) has a lot to be desired.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
None of them have missed out this year. With such injuries in the backline they've all had a similar amount of game time (Harris with more than the other two) so the development of them hasn't been hindered by either.

The more game time they have with Australia's premier halfback and debatable Fly-Half can't be a bad thing for their Wallabies cause. I can only really see Harris wanting to move, but the only option is really the Force as they need a 10. BUT I have my own concerns about Harris playing 10 as he's passing game (especially left to right) has a lot to be desired.
the Force dont need a 10 Sais, Godwin SNK and Harvey, what we do need is a real 12 but i doubt Harris will be at the force next year i have a feeling he has already signed with the reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anae was unlucky to break his arm when he did. I think he would have been used a lot more by the Reds. I think he will cement a spot in the 22 soon. Daley is a real issue. The coaching staff seem to really rate him as a future leader of the team and his workrate is great but he just struggles at scrum time. That has to be his bread and butter and after 50 caps for the Reds you would think he would have improved. If anything he is worse that he was a couple of years ago. Maybe not having Alec Evens around has had an effect. I am glad Link has seen the light and realised that Holmes provides a better platform.
Sheperdson has been a waste of money and I don't think Davis is up to it. We really need a THP as back up.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
I know nothing about props etc but given Daley is only 24, isn't there a real prospect of his scrummaging getting a fair bit better over the next few years?

T

TOCC

He debut'd quite young, so the fact he has played 50 matches is no reason to write him off

T

TOCC

The Reds were reportedly chasing Jeremy Tilse, maybe they should go after Paddy Ryan instead

W

What2040

Anae was unlucky to break his arm when he did. I think he would have been used a lot more by the Reds. I think he will cement a spot in the 22 soon. Daley is a real issue. The coaching staff seem to really rate him as a future leader of the team and his workrate is great but he just struggles at scrum time. That has to be his bread and butter and after 50 caps for the Reds you would think he would have improved. If anything he is worse that he was a couple of years ago. Maybe not having Alec Evens around has had an effect. I am glad Link has seen the light and realised that Holmes provides a better platform.
Sheperdson has been a waste of money and I don't think Davis is up to it. We really need a THP as back up.

Jets, good post

He debut'd quite young, so the fact he has played 50 matches is no reason to write him off

TOCC - surely a bloke should be pretty good at his job after 50 caps - the reality is that he is not - always appears the Reds scrum comes under real presure when Daley is on which puts p-ressure on the whole scrum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Al Baxter became a reasonable Super Rugby scrummager when he reach about 33.

Give Daley another 7 or 8 years and he should be perfectly fine in the scrum.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Jets, good post

TOCC - surely a bloke should be pretty good at his job after 50 caps - the reality is that he is not - always appears the Reds scrum comes under real presure when Daley is on which puts p-ressure on the whole scrum.

A 24yo prop with 50+ caps and a Super title must be going "pretty good at his job" to be selected each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.