• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A 24yo prop with 50+ caps and a Super title must be going "pretty good at his job" to be selected each week.

He's very good around the field, which is why coaches love him, but he cannot scrum to save his life. Sad, because he would be the ideal back-up to Ben (Robinson that is). At 24, he needs to have a long off-season focussing on strength improvement and scrummaging skills if he is to develop further. Until he can do this he should forget about being Australia's best around-the-field prop, he has to get his priorities right.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
He's very good around the field, which is why coaches love him, but he cannot scrum to save his life. Sad, because he would be the ideal back-up to Ben (Robinson that is). At 24, he needs to have a long off-season focussing on strength improvement and scrummaging skills if he is to develop further. Until he can do this he should forget about being Australia's best around-the-field prop, he has to get his priorities right.

His priorities would be dictated by the coach based on the teams requirements. Since it's the same coach that keeps selecting him to do the job ahead of other candidates available, you'd assume he has got his priorities pretty sorted. No one is doubting he can improve though, he's still got a lot of maturing to come in his game for a young prop.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Apparently, Daley has had a shoulder problem for a while which has been hampering him.

Not sure how much this has or hasn't affected his scrummaging, but there is some issue with injury.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Daley is fine. He is not a test standard prop at the moment, but with a full off season to sort out injuries and work on his scrummaging he will come back better next year and continue as a solid member of the reds squad.

What we need is a serious scrummager to replace shep in the squad.

W

What2040

Apparently, Daley has had a shoulder problem for a while which has been hampering him.

Not sure how much this has or hasn't affected his scrummaging, but there is some issue with injury.

Ash, he must have had the injury for 4 years !!!!!

Brumbries Guy - I suppose you are correct except the Reds have never had much stock in the props - You have slipper who seems to be now seen as a LHP by Deans but plays THP at Reds. Holmes who prefers THP but replaces Daley at LHP and so Daley finally on bench. Daley cannot play THP which means either Holmes or slipper get to play a full 80. Luckily for reds they have 2 props who can play the full 80. That must be a relief for any coach. Havinfg said that Daley is good around the park, certainly better than even Ben Robbo.

I would have thought that after that time (4 years) he should be strong enough (now man-strong or nearly there) and have enough of the technical shit to be a strong scrummager.

W

What2040

Ash,
it comes to mind that Daley had a shoulder re-con at end of last year, missed a couple of trials in 2012 but started playing in first or second game of season

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Daley's scrummaging has been particularly bad for the last month or two, though. Worse even than it used to be. Not sure if the injury I heard mentioned was related to the shoulder op last year or not.

W

What2040

There is not much point cutting daley loose when we have no one better to replace him with though. Anae and Daley are able back ups at super rugby level. Both should be retained until someone better comes along.

absolutely - cannot wait to see Anae get a couple of consecutive games with some good game time. Think it will be a long time before someone better comes along - reds academy or ARU academy whatever is pretty skinny with props of real promise (in the next few years) - may have to look around elsewhere

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Are you allowed to "swap" players who have contracts?

I love having Robinson as a backup for Gill, but if the Force lose Pocock to the Brumbies they will be desperate for a fetcher. Can we swap Robinson for a couple of Props?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You forget we have hodgson to who is a 7 by trade. Keep robinson well take harris ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Season is over, and this supporter gives the Reds a big tick. Top Aussie side for the second year running. Be good to see a couple of the young guns like Schatz and Gill get rewarded with Wallaby gigs.

Now we can look forward to 2013. Anyone with an idea of the roster as it looks so far? I'm really interested who the newbies might be. Maybe Lane, Butler and Enever, but I'd also like to see a new prop in the 35. I wonder if Paraka is worth a punt?

Oops, just read the Wallabies thread and saw that Gill and Schatz had made the training squad...excellent!

T

TOCC

I think it was a pretty good year with all things considering, we were beaten by the better team in the end..

Shipperly, Gill, Tapuai and Holmes all significantly improved their form from the year before.
CFS displayed he is a very promising player in the making.

If there were negatives to be taken away, id say i am slightly disappointed with the progress from Simmons, S. Fainga'a and Morahan.
Also on the injury front, Toua and Lucas are slowly becoming liabilities.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think it was a pretty good year with all things considering, we were beaten by the better team in the end..

Shipperly, Gill, Tapuai and Holmes all significantly improved their form from the year before.
CFS displayed he is a very promising player in the making.

If there were negatives to be taken away, id say i am slightly disappointed with the progress from Simmons, S. Fainga'a and Morahan.
Also on the injury front, Toua and Lucas are slowly becoming liabilities.
I was dissapointed with Tapuai to be honest, I dont think he lived up to all of the hype that other Reds fans put on him. I just dont see it myself, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Lots of injury disruption but the players that stood out for me were Chibba and Holmes. I thought they both had outstanding seasons. Gill progressed another year and is justing better and better. The downs were some of the injuries to individuals. I was looking forward to seing McDurling who is highly thought of but his season never got off the ground. Taps early in the year when we were in the slump was by far our best back and was playing himself into a Wallaby jersey for the June tests. Sam Lane showing showing so much promise but having his opportunity cut very short. No news of progress on the Peter Hynes front.

I would like to give this season a good appraisel but the bad taste of last night still lingers.

Bring on 2013.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was dissapointed with Tapuai to be honest, I dont think he lived up to all of the hype that other Reds fans put on him. I just dont see it myself, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Taps was brilliant before being injured. Our best player I reckon in a team that was really struggling. He hasn't been the same since his return, which is understandable. Someone correct me if my memory is false?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Taps was brilliant before being injured. Our best player I reckon in a team that was really struggling. He hasn't been the same since his return, which is understandable. Someone correct me if my memory is false?
That is how I remember it Reg.

T

TOCC

He was playing pretty dam well in the first half of the year before injury..

Status
Not open for further replies.