• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if McDulling played a bit of 6 next year. Only seen him play once but from all reports he is quality.

Shatz is still a work in progress but has a lot of Super Rugby experience for someone so young and has handled himself really well. He could be an outside chance of a spot on the end of season tour which would be a great experience for him but if not a full off season will be a good thing for him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While the decision to put on Frisby on Saturday night still confuses me I must say his pass has improved dramatically. A season of training with a Super team has made a big difference.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Schatz has taken a big step in the last half of the season, but lets just take a little step back from talking about read and him in the same post.

Nobody was comparing the two on form, merely from a physical standpoint and from where Read was at a similar age.

At this stage Shatz could just as easily turn into a journeyman as a Read-esc player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's the definition of a journeyman?

Anyone who goes to Europe/Japan without playing for the Wallabies?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
While the decision to put on Frisby on Saturday night still confuses me I must say his pass has improved dramatically. A season of training with a Super team has made a big difference.

Looks like he could be a very good backup to Genia. Lot's of room to improve but let's not forget he played 15 for the U20's and a lot of wing for the Reds this year. A Frisby, Lucas and Harris/Tapui bench next season looks great on paper for the Reds. Where do you fit CFS and Toua?

Big issue next year will be in the forwards. Higgers replacement has big shoes to fill in the backrow. Hooker and lock are pretty well covered but prop depth is weak. Slipper and Holmes are great but Daley and Anae need to do more.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
How long is Leroy Houston signed for over in France, and anyone know how he is going?

He is currently play div 3 france I believe he left bourdeaux...on anothe rnote i believe Saia Fainga'a has doen hsi dash as reds first choice hooker has some pretty mediocre game stowards the end of the season and Hanson is a much fitter more explosive option at leas the looked it on saturday. Fainga'a looked scared and man handled

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Looks like he could be a very good backup to Genia. Lot's of room to improve but let's not forget he played 15 for the U20's and a lot of wing for the Reds this year. A Frisby, Lucas and Harris/Tapui bench next season looks great on paper for the Reds. Where do you fit CFS and Toua?
I can't see Frisby on the bench if both Lucas and Genia are fit. My backline would be the one that started the semi but with Taps at 12 and then have a bench of...
20- Lucas
21- Harris
22- F'Sautia (who may replaced Shipperely eventually)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I really doubt that Braveheart. Fainga'a is the best defensive back in Australia by a mile. Personally I think Shipperely gets hyped up too much

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not saying next year, just in the long run.

I just think F'Sautia has the potential to be a really great 13 and in a couple of years could be the midfield player we've really been looking for.

Shipperley is also only 21 and is getting better at a rate of knots.

Fainga'a shortfall has always been his attack.

Shipperley and Fainga'a aren't competing for the same position. I was really just saying that eventually the optimum Reds backline could be Genia Ioane Cooper Tapuai F'Sautia Shipperley Morahan rather than Fainga'a at 13 and F'Sautia at 14.

Of course that's a big if that all those players are still at the Reds in a couple of years time.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I really doubt that Braveheart. Fainga'a is the best defensive back in Australia by a mile. Personally I think Shipperely gets hyped up too much

I don't thinks so i think shipperely is already one of the top winger sin australia and better than tomane and vuna. He can attack and defend and doesnt mind getting busy in the ruck when he has to and does so without hesitation.

If you want some back up for these claims one only need look at the game verse the stormers where he was at outside centre and made a numbe rof crucial and tellign tackles and habana and co

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm not saying next year, just in the long run.

I just think F'Sautia has the potential to be a really great 13 and in a couple of years could be the midfield player we've really been looking for.

Shipperley is also only 21 and is getting better at a rate of knots.

Fainga'a shortfall has always been his attack.

Shipperley and Fainga'a aren't competing for the same position. I was really just saying that eventually the optimum Reds backline could be Genia Ioane Cooper Tapuai F'Sautia Shipperley Morahan rather than Fainga'a at 13 and F'Sautia at 14.

Of course that's a big if that all those players are still at the Reds in a couple of years time.

I hope so, but CFS will need to improve his defense a lot to be considered a top flight 13. He was very poor at the JRWC in in defense, in that position.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Touch of an overstatement there. Injury on saturday was just one of those unfortunate ones. Its not like he is a Toua or CFS and constantly doing his hammy. He isnt the biggest guy which is my main concern and seems to get beat up more than most. His courage and skill in a bit bigger frame and he could be anything.

Has it been confirmed Sam Lane will be in the EPS next year? Long term he looks the best backup for QC (Quade Cooper) by a good margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.