• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I must be the only Reds fan who does not want to see Hugh McMeniman come back, what happened to loyalty? If you turn your back on your team then I dont want you back for any reason.

Loyalty needs to be rewarded and we need to ensure that our young stars of the future realise if they want to play for the Reds when they are older and better then they need to be loyal to the cause.

Absolutely true. In 1972.

It's a great sentiment, but professional rugby has moved on from that sadly. Try and think of a parallel in your day to day work life. Should you only be able to get a job with company X if you are prepared to stay there for your entire work career?

Players can, and should (it's good for their development) be free to seek opportunities to ply their trade in the best environment for them. It is the team/provinces job to ensure the environment they supply their players IS the best.

J

Jiggles

Thanks Tiger - I am most excited to see Anea step up next year and McDuling. I have seen a bit of Louis before and he goes ok.

Liquor box I am with you, but not because the loyalty stuff. I don't think the Reds should be the ones shelling out for McMeniman if he wants to realise his Wallabies potential. Let another state who can't develop their own local talent like we can take him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Absolutely true. In 1972.

It's a great sentiment, but professional rugby has moved on from that sadly. Try and think of a parallel in your day to day work life. Should you only be able to get a job with company X if you are prepared to stay there for your entire work career?

Players can, and should (it's good for their development) be free to seek opportunities to ply their trade in the best environment for them. It is the team/provinces job to ensure the environment they supply their players IS the best.

As an added point he went overseas, not to a different Aus province.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What options are there out in clubland for a replacement for Higgers? Ah Wong at Sunnybank has potential but hasn't come on as well as I would have expected this year, but Higgers was the same in my view when younger. Any other genuine 6 options out there? Need someone who is a lineout option too.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
What options are there out in clubland for a replacement for Higgers? Ah Wong at Sunnybank has potential but hasn't come on as well as I would have expected this year, but Higgers was the same in my view when younger. Any other genuine 6 options out there? Need someone who is a lineout option too.

Tom Cusack playing in the Canberra comp.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some off field observations:

1. Fine to have the shouting man before the game and during half time to build up the crowd - but stop him from shouting "We are Reds" during the match - the crowd will pick it up when and if it is required. A couple of times it has started by itself - he has chipped in over the top and out of sync and stopped the chant.
2. No more of the dancing kids until they learn to dance in time with each other/ the music.
3. More Saturday/Sunday afternoon games during the winter months and keep the evening games during the earlier part of the season (autumn).
4. players outside the northern gate in meet and greet before the games is fantastic - keep it up
5. The half time game with the rookies to reds programme is awesome - that is a must keep
6. The run on music should have stayed with The Grid from Tron Legacy and not have been replaced with whatever it was.
7. Under no circumstance is any player to where a 10 jersey. Ever.

These are quite clearly the most important things for next season and I am astounded that none of you have thought to mention them previously. Shame on you all*.

* warning: may contain traces of sarcasm

J

Jiggles

When I heard the QRU were looking at him as a prop I thought they were nuts, hopefully this idea has been put to bed.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
They've got the same "where the fuck do i play them" problem. Not really a 6, 7, or an 8.

That being said, you COULD say Dusautoir has the same problem and he made it work.

Mate i do more than make it work..........

No but seriously you are right in your assesment i think the best option is throw him in at 6 or 8 and let him do wha the does. Dusautoir doesn't have the build of a 6 but he has power both in a defence and attack and is use dmostly as a bomber off the 10. But at the sametime can get the turn overs when he has to....ala browning

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It comes to the style of the team. French sides don't really play with a fetcher, so Dusautoirs style is suited.

If Quirk played for a South African side, he'd be seen as a 7.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
essent
It comes to the style of the team. French sides don't really play with a fetcher, so Dusautoirs style is suited.

If Quirk played for a South African side, he'd be seen as a 7.

Essentially there is nothing wrong with him as a player but he is very run of the mill. If he was taller could be a good lock as he does the 'shitters' but as a flanker nothing sets him apart from the rest. His work rate isn't out of this world, his defence doesn't strike fear into the heart of men, his runs aren't barnstormers and he doesn't pilfer at all. Anyone could fill the role he is filling now & that's fine nothing against him but as soon as someone shows a little more he will be gone as we don't need him. Schatz is the same except he is better in all areas than quirk. We dont need both of them doing the same job. Hence if Quirk wants to take the next step he needs to either find a niche or move on

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Bit harsh their TD. He really has not had a chance to prove himself at Super Rugby level. But I do get the jist of what you're trying to say, but if he stays fit I suspect he will improve, he has the mongrel to be a beast in defence.

J

Jiggles

Schatz is starting to do some little things very, very well. He is going to be a great no. 8 once he gains another year of experience.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
For future reference to those in this thread "6" is openside in France/Africa/South America. Though they don't generally play opensider the same way we do the bloke that lines-up on the openside on opposition scrum feeds wears a number 6.

I don't know why it's the case but it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.