• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
That he has, USAR, but he's been high maintenance during most of his Reds' time. Especially every time a contract comes up for renewal.

Yeah, he has never made it a secret that money is important. There was a bit of talk around here a couple of years ago that he is a main bread winner in his family.

Shame if it comes to pass but the Reds will go on. Just hope the promised rivera of gold comes his way overseas and he does not get dicked around with failed 3rd party payments.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Digby has been coming across as a bit of a twat recently. Something is going on with him.

But an angry Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael said he was investigating the Ioane hotel incident at the Regatta Hotel - a sponsor of the QRU.

"He has a bigger problem than his contract and that's his conduct," Carmichael said.
It is understood the 34-Test winger was involved in an altercation with Regatta staff when they refused to admit him bare-chested to a restaurant at the well-known Brisbane riverside hotel.

He later tweeted about the incident, attacking the hotel. The incident comes barely a month after Ioane was stood down from a Reds match after getting involved in an incident at a Melbourne bar.

Sounds like he is trying to get the Reds to Tear up his contract.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...on/story-e6frfkp9-1226626766693#ixzz2REWwns6p

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Digby himself?

Looks like it. Digby and his manager clearly leaked something!

Digby has been coming across as a bit of a twat recently. Something is going on with him.

His tweet did say something along the lines of not letting him in on a Sunday afternoon with a singlet on. You definitely may be onto something about wanting the Reds to tear up his contract, but in all fairness, the Regatta are/has become quite "picky" with clothing.

Many moons ago I was asked to leave the Regatta only after ordering my first beer for the evening. My crime? Wearing shorts instead of jeans on a humid summer Brisbane night!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^ I too have had my share of challenges in bars. Once a bouncer kindly asked me to slow down and have a glass of water. Which I agreed to but I was handed a beer instead and proceeded to drink it explaining that it was 95% water so perhaps we could come to a compromise. I was asked to leave. Most of us have acted like twats as some stage.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's all a bit strange. Digby has been playing well this year and I believe he is genuine about wanting success for the Reds and Link. Not sure then that he wants his contract torn up mid-season. Would it not rule him out of Lions contention unless he has another side ready to take him on straight away which would indicate he has been shopping around on the sly and likely end in a lawsuit.

Best of luck to him if he ends up overseas and goes about this the right way.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone know what the third party deal is that fell over and for which Digby wants the Reds to make up for?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
"At this stage we have an agreement that the only way he can play at any other (Australian) franchise than the Reds is if he declines an offer from the ARU - and I agree to it," Carmichael said. "He's going nowhere unless I release him."
Does anyone else think that Carmichael comes across as a bit of a twat with this statement. He might have done some good things as CEO of the QRU but he seems to have quite the ego. Surely he should have said unless the Reds release him or we as an organisation release him.
I'm trying to work out exactly what Digby has done that is so wrong. He seems to be guilty by association.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Does anyone else think that Carmichael comes across as a bit of a twat with this statement. He might have done some good things as CEO of the QRU but he seems to have quite the ego. Surely he should have said unless the Reds release him or we as an organisation release him.
I'm trying to work out exactly what Digby has done that is so wrong. He seems to be guilty by association.

I think in this instance he looks to be acting silly but he handled the quade-fiasco very well last year i thought.

I wouldnt be that upset if digby leaves we have many apt wingers to fill the void and if rumours are to be believed his knees wont hold up much longer anyway. Also if he is acting like such a twat he is the last person we need around QC (Quade Cooper)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I guess that's just it Jets, you never know what is going on behind closed doors. He could be anywhere between the ultimate clubman and the biggest diva to ever throw on footy boots and for the most part, with good PR from both the player and the club we as fans would never really know. If he has been high maintenance then I guess there comes a time when the administrators will just say enough is enough and will make quotes like Jim did.

I would hate for him to leave on a sour note - he's been great for the Reds and the Wallabies. Whatever is going on, I hope they sort it out quickly and quietly.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That Carmichael is coming across so strongly suggests, at least to me, that there is a lot we don't know yet. The Reds will also be looking to take action to deter players from considering this in the future, maybe with one player in particular in mind.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it actually is in his contract that he if he chooses not to exercise his third year option, he can't play for another Australian Super Rugby side, I won't be surprised if the ARU tries to intervene.

The ARU won't want Digby to go overseas purely because the Reds won't let him play for another Super Rugby side in Australia. If that happens, get ready for the QRU/ARU relationship to hit an all time low.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing that worries me is that Link has always been very good at managing these types of guys. Graham has not got a great record dealing with players. Throw some 'difficult' players into the mix and we could have a recipe for trouble.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Blow for the Reds & Aus.
However, can't blame him for trying to maximise his income, everyone else would do exactly the same.
He's been a good servant for the Reds, hopefully won't turn into a spiteful farewell.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
So it seems Digby handed in his notice on the 8th, the same day Luke Morahan signed for the Force to get more starts. I wonder if Morahan even knew of this before signing?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So it seems Digby handed in his notice on the 8th, the same day Luke Morahan signed for the Force to get more starts. I wonder if Morahan even knew of this before signing?

Yeah it's a rough business. Just like Ben Lucas re-signing with the Reds after it broke that Genia was heading to the Force, only for Genia to reneg a couple of days later. Players cop stuff like this all the time and then get rubbished when putting their personal interests first and trying to maximise their dollar.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No I don't think so. I am sure there might be people in the Red's wanting to keep Digby happy for this season, without regard to next season.
Carmichael is making it clear that he is the decision maker.I see nothing wrong in insisting people honour their agreements.

T

TOCC

If it actually is in his contract that he if he chooses not to exercise his third year option, he can't play for another Australian Super Rugby side, I won't be surprised if the ARU tries to intervene.

The ARU won't want Digby to go overseas purely because the Reds won't let him play for another Super Rugby side in Australia. If that happens, get ready for the QRU/ARU relationship to hit an all time low.

It seems like a case that he has signed with the Reds for 3, but his contract with the ARU has an option for the 3rd year.. As we know, a player needs a contract with both the ARU and union to be official...

Doesn't sounds like the Reds have done anything wrong at all. If Digby opts out of the ARU then that's a separate issue altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom