• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Is it not obvious that with his excellent track record at achieving positive results in virtually every aspect of the Red's' business outcomes, including a central role in player contracting and retention, it is highly unlikely that J Carmichael or his management team would be acting negligently or in an untrustworthy manner toward his Reds' players who are central to the entire enterprise?

My reading re his public irateness re Digby and his management is that he's had enough of the media plays and other manoeuvrings and he judges it time to force the issue and deny the allegations of 3rd party wrongdoings. I for one trust his integrity and good judgement in such matters, as he's demonstrated those attributes routinely in the past 3+ years.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Is it not obvious that with his excellent track record at achieving positive results in virtually every aspect of the Red's' business outcomes, including a central role in player contracting and retention, it is highly unlikely that J Carmichael or his management team would be acting negligently or in an untrustworthy manner toward his Reds' players who are central to the entire enterprise?

My reading re his public irateness re Digby and his management is that he's had enough of the media plays and other manoeuvrings and he judges it time to force the issue and deny the allegations of 3rd party wrongdoings. I for one trust his integrity and good judgement in such matters, as he's demonstrated those attributes routinely in the past 3+ years.

Add in recent off-field issues and we see and interesting picture emerging. I wonder what is going on?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Add in recent off-field issues and we see and interesting picture emerging. I wonder what is going on?

To be blunt, we may be seeing the reckless but not untypical combination of a player's contractual or commercial naiveté, his burgeoning ego as a self-assumed 'star' deserving a unique approach to his needs, and a greedy and manipulative agent acting only is his client's short, not long, term interests.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
After reading it again, all it says is "3rd party payments" but in my mind that automatically gets me thinking "Stratco/Volvo/Firestone/etc". Though it doesn't have to be a sponsor right? Couldn't the ARU top up be thought of as a 3rd party payment when we're talking about the players contract with their Super club?

T

TOCC

After reading it again, all it says is "3rd party payments" but in my mind that automatically gets me thinking "Stratco/Volvo/Firestone/etc". Though it doesn't have to be a sponsor right? Couldn't the ARU top up be thought of as a 3rd party payment when we're talking about the players contract with their Super club?

Third party contracts don't have to be a Reds sponsor... Its unlikely they are referring to the ARU.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
To be blunt, we may be seeing the reckless but not untypical combination of a player's contractual or commercial naiveté, his burgeoning ego as a self-assumed 'star' deserving a unique approach to his needs, and a greedy and manipulative agent acting only is his client's short, not long, term interests.

As we hear so often Professional Rugby players only have a "short" career and hence the agent will seek to maximise their (own and client's) income in that short term. Long term is not their issue as any post Rugby career will in most cases not involve the agent. It is up to the player to ensure their long term interests and perhaps one reason why I don't think any agent truly acts in the interests of their client. I would personally like to see more players retain advisers and actually make some decisions.

BTW I do not subscribe to the view that Rugby players like politicians deserve greater remuneration for the possible shortness of their careers. Most people now have multiple career changes and retrain and redeploy on multiple occasions through life. The idea that they should be able to set themselves up for life in a 10 year working life in a single career is ludicrous and more than a little naive.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

But his role is CEO of the QRU not just the Reds. Do you think QLD rugby is in a better position than it was a few years ago? We had arguably the best talent development system in the country in place and now all the Development staff spend their time undertaking a Auskick want-to-be program that eats into the viability of the local clubs. THe rest of the time they are pushing a commercial agenda for the Reds.
If the QRU wanted to improve QLD rugby why is no money put into Premier rugby from their pockets? They should have a sponsor for the comp and be pushing to get games on TV or live streamed.
I fail to see what Digby has done that is so wrong. He was in a photo taken in a spa while having time off, stepped into stop an altercation at a bar in Melbourne early in the evening, was asked to leave a hotel because he had a singlet on. He suffers for these insignificant issues while others get away with much more. If Digby has done something terrible let us know and I'll change my opinion. But don't sit here and say Carmichael is the Messiah because I just don't buy it.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
But his role is CEO of the QRU not just the Reds. Do you think QLD rugby is in a better position than it was a few years ago? We had arguably the best talent development system in the country in place and now all the Development staff spend their time undertaking a Auskick want-to-be program that eats into the viability of the local clubs. THe rest of the time they are pushing a commercial agenda for the Reds.
If the QRU wanted to improve QLD rugby why is no money put into Premier rugby from their pockets? They should have a sponsor for the comp and be pushing to get games on TV or live streamed.
I fail to see what Digby has done that is so wrong. He was in a photo taken in a spa while having time off, stepped into stop an altercation at a bar in Melbourne early in the evening, was asked to leave a hotel because he had a singlet on. He suffers for these insignificant issues while others get away with much more. If Digby has done something terrible let us know and I'll change my opinion. But don't sit here and say Carmichael is the Messiah because I just don't buy it.

I think the main problem with the development of qld rugby is the fact that great ideas like the ballymore cup are dead in the water........it was such a great idea to spread the gospel of rugby outside of the select 18 private schools that play it

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I should point out that some of the ideas from the QRU are pretty good but they come at the expense of others that were better, in my view.

I agree TD. Rugby in non traditional schools should be a major goal. The Ballymore Cup is a great concept and it would be wonderful if it was fully embraced.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It would appear to be a contract dispute...

A furious Reds chief executive, Jim Carmichael, said Ioane's only choice was to go overseas if he wanted out of his contract.
"I have written to him three times legally, Digby Ioane is not owed money by Queensland Rugby," Carmichael said. "I don't know how many times I have to say that. I don't care what he says, I don't care what his manager says. If he disputes that, then you have got [the courts]. Take it and challenge it."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/pay-row-prompts-ioane-reds-exit-20130422-2iaus.html#ixzz2RGQBiE4C

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From the other side he's apparently hard work to deal with. Has expectations on what should be done for him. Sounds like he needs a new manager.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like it. Digby and his manager clearly leaked something!

His tweet did say something along the lines of not letting him in on a Sunday afternoon with a singlet on. You definitely may be onto something about wanting the Reds to tear up his contract, but in all fairness, the Regatta are/has become quite "picky" with clothing.

Many moons ago I was asked to leave the Regatta only after ordering my first beer for the evening. My crime? Wearing shorts instead of jeans on a humid summer Brisbane night!

The Regatta has always been really inconsistent with clothing standards. I liked it before the renovations, when they were much more flexible. Besides, years ago, I could never understand why someone would go to the Regatta over the RE anyway.

Back in the very early 2000s (not too long after I moved from Brisbane to Sydney) I would frequently go back to Brisbane to visit friends and family. Visits to friends was normally at the RE, sometimes with a late wander down the road to the Regatta.

One time the "quality" bouncers at the Regatta turned me away after seeing a NSW drivers license. His excuse? I was wearing shorts. This was despite my friend in front of me being let in by the same bouncer, and he was wearing shorts (not to mention thongs as well!), and many people inside and around the verandah were also wearing shorts.

So, our whole group of about 10 people all piled out and left the Regatta because of one bouncer being a dick.

TL;DR: bouncers can be dicks on clothing standards (but it doesn't necessarily mean that a story of someone acting up was really a bouncer being a dick). If they are a dick just move on.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Digby is not a big loss but will be missed, only if Luke morahan new of this a few weeks back he would not be heading to Force.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i cant believe im reading some of this
ioane is widely considered one of the best wingers in the world- and rightly so
people saying hes one dimensional- that one dimension is called kicked ass and he does it better than 99% of players in the world let alone the s15=thats right i consider him in the top 1% of players in the world
not a big loss? there isnt a winger at the reds(and barely in the country) whos near ioane on the field
i dont know whats going on behind the scenes- but you guys are kidding yourselves if u think your gunna discard and replace him as easily as you all seem to think

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The fourth musketeer?

Diggers isn't getting any younger and with a stack of quality young'uns nipping at his heels, he needs to think about his future, and make hay while it is sunny.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
From the other side he's apparently hard work to deal with. Has expectations on what should be done for him. Sounds like he needs a new manager.

Robert Craddock on The Back Page just said a similar thing. He described negotiating with Ioane and his agent as wrestling "a slippery eel".

Craddock also claimed that the Reds have covered up some of Ioane's indiscretions at great risk and effort to themselves.

Interesting comments, of course not sure on the veracity. But if true, it explains Carmichael's attitude.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sautia doesn't look too bad.

Hopefully this is the year Aiden and him need to get up to snuff at Super Rugby level. Both show so much promise (I was gushing about CFS pretty liberally during the first few weeks) but both look out of place so far in their starts.

In other news I was just rewatching the Brums game and noticed Quades great open-field tackle on Mogg during his break down the middle. Anyone who says Cooper's defense hasn't improved pretty noticeably since his comeback is just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom