• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
heard the marque signing is a back - an internationally capped - playing in japan and not australian obviously

and another backrower - injury pron ex queenslander so got a good deal --- perhaps richard brown?
Richard brown would never play under RG again he can't stand the guy.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. A kid
2. Never packed in a real scrum
3. Famous for non-prop stuff
4. Bigger and faster than peers
5. Seems like the move to Aus would be because he isn't picked in the top teams etc there

Never say never, but unlikely he'd be worth the time.

Unlikely he'd be worth the time? Not sure you can make that call based on a couple of minutes on YouTube. Hopefully someone at the Reds has had a decent look at him. He just knocked back NZ schoolboys so clearly he was going to be picked in the top teams for NZ.

We spent years trying to develop Anae and now he's gone at 25 when a prop should be hitting his straps. Would be helpful if we build some depth at Prop as Daley seems to be spending most of his time injured now.

T

TOCC

1. A kid
2. Never packed in a real scrum
3. Famous for non-prop stuff
4. Bigger and faster than peers
5. Seems like the move to Aus would be because he isn't picked in the top teams etc there

Never say never, but unlikely he'd be worth the time.

I agree with points 1-4, however in point 5 he was offered a NZRU contract and declined it.. This kid is blessed with raw physical traits which could make him an absolute star, he is definitely worth the time.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
To be fair he did say there'd be someone with "Tui" in his name before the squad announcement, so might not be all wrong. Might be someone in the know being a bit playful.

Injury-prone ex-Wallaby? Perhaps MMM wants another little crack for the good guys.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with points 1-4, however in point 5 he was offered a NZRU contract and declined it.. This kid is blessed with raw physical traits which could make him an absolute star, he is definitely worth the time.

You are probably correct. I remember a piece a while back about him being unhappy with what he was offered (possibly not making an Auckland rep team), was just going of that however it may have been inaccurate.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Unlikely he'd be worth the time? Not sure you can make that call based on a couple of minutes on YouTube.

Just basing it on the Reds development pathway from 1996-2010 or so. That and every view on LTAD getting around.

Paraka has been in the Reds environment for several years now. Even sat on Reds bench. Not offered Reds contract or EPS spot, despite only three props on the books. Very similar schoolboy player to Tongan Thor (obviously not as dominant).

If he'd come across for a WTS spot then yes, sign him up, but as you say we need depth at prop now.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
There was chat floating around a wee bit ago regarding Elsom and the Reds. He seems of fit the profile of injury prone ex qld. Does anyone know if he is still playing? I know he owns Narbonne now.... not sure if he has been playing. Maybe he wants one more crack at a world cup? Could be a sound pick up if the time off has let his body recover from his many injuries.... and if it's actually him!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just basing it on the Reds development pathway from 1996-2010 or so. That and every view on LTAD getting around.

Paraka has been in the Reds environment for several years now. Even sat on Reds bench. Not offered Reds contract or EPS spot, despite only three props on the books. Very similar schoolboy player to Tongan Thor (obviously not as dominant).

If he'd come across for a WTS spot then yes, sign him up, but as you say we need depth at prop now.

there is a quiet rumour that the ARU is offering Tongan Thor a top-up, provided that he signs with the Waratahs.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My mail:
Trouble with Anae was that he wanted a pay rise (fair enough as he was fairly economical). Reds said NO simply because they THOUGHT that Owen was locked up. Owen says nah I'm off to France (on about 3/4 times the paypacket). Reds thouight Shit we better re-sign Albert at the increase he wants. He says nah, too late, signed in Italy.

The props at the Reds scare the shit outta me. We have 2 great props and one other. The first 2 are Slipper and Holmes, the third is Fucking Daylight. If either of the first 2 get injured we are fucked.................... Then it doesn't matter that you have K Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper) , we are just fucked. We need a competitive LHP (not Daley) and THP. Also these blokes cannot be flogged playing most games at 80.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
haha gotta love the rumours.
issues i have with the rumour I have passed onto you. btw the person telling me works in membership who hears it from a big southafrican who works in corporate sales at the reds and loves the goss. So noone important just office rumours which are interesting to spitball

Do you think these two people would be happy to know what they're discussing is being reported here?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Answers the all black pic in the announcement!!!

I thought it was there to reference the heavy rumors of the Victor Vito signing which never eventuated.

I find it odd that the Reds would bother signing another 12/13 in Kahui/Toeava, they already have Taps, K Hunt, Kerevi, Ant Fainga'a and F'Sautia covering those spots. I mean those guys probably would be an upgrade on a couple of the current blokes but still a very stacked area of the team.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well the way our team is currently shaping up has me a bit worried. Does it remind anyone else of the 2012 Melbourne Rebels squad? They had names like Cipriani, O'Connor, Beale, Gerrard, Mortlock, even an ex-leaguie in Vuna. But their forward pack was well below par and they ended up finishing 13th.

The current Reds setup has a similar feel to it. Maybe not as dire as we still have a well established core group who have been around 5+ years but all the big name backs and no proven forward additions have me worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.