• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
No. Just don't fuck players off without a viable alternative. Who should we look at signing at the expense of James Horwill?

And since EOD is considered subpar, who are 2 players we should sign that are both better than James? Because you are saying he shouldn't even be our reserve lock.

Players should be kept until you have a better option. That's professionalism, not throwing the fucking baby out with the fucking bath water.

Only if the fucking baby doesn't fit in the fucking bathtub.

I am not having a go at anybody in particular. It is just that James, for whatever reason is not performing to the high levels (he set for himself) Same has been said for Genia. No-one is immune from the realities of modern rugby. In particular I acknowledge the wonderful service Horwill has given to his State - that is just undeniable.

I don't know who you could replace say, whoever with. I would think the process would be that the decision needs to be made first, then "feelers" put out there in the marketplace for the player believed to be a better option. If no better option is available then obviously you stick with what you've got.

Doesn't this occur all the time at all Franchises. Players get too old and or lack performances and then are "tapped" on the shoulder for another player.

T

Train Without a Station

That's fucking stupid. Your best squad is based on who's available to you.

To say we need to decide to get rid of James and then look for another option is fucking stupid. What if there is no better option? You just get rid of one player who is doing his job. Let's be clear here, he isn't a stand out, but he has been doing his job. Keep in mind a couple of weeks ago people were also saying he was getting back to his best.

So we fuck him off, we end up with some substandard fluffybunny because some nitwit made the decision to not re-sign a player who at a time was one of the best locks in the world without even considering who would replace him, and EOD. So now we're left with a shit reserve lock too so we can't even change things up and hope for any better. How does that improve anything?

If there's a better option, you look at it. If there isn't, you try and get the best out of what you've got.

T

Train Without a Station

Oh and yes, players often get tapped on the shoulder for another player. Another specific player who they feel will service them better. Not for no other player to then dick around and see who turns up.

T

tranquility

This is the professional era rightly or wrongly. The rules have changed

If players are not performing, whoever they are, for whatever reason (that cannot be fixed), however passionate, however long their service to the State they need to be culled for the greater good of the Franchise. Not saying its an easy call but its a call that needs to be made from time to time (in whatever Franchise).

Anything else is bullshit !!!!!

Remind me never to go into business with you my friend. Anyone who thinks callous decision making is "good business" does not see the big picture.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds should look at signing Sona Taumalolo. Tongan International LH prop, played for the chiefs before moving to Perpignan in the top 14.

Perpignan have just been relegated so he is available and at 32 he probably has a couple seasons left in him (props mature later in their careers).

I'm usually not a fan of marquee players, but the reds have had great success in the past bringing in proven experienced players like Samo. Plus it's not like he's just a saffa or kiwi journeyman - he's a real deal marquee player with a cult following.

And from what I have heard will bring similar baggage as JOC (James O'Connor). Maybe not....

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's fucking stupid. Your best squad is based on who's available to you.

To say we need to decide to get rid of James and then look for another option is fucking stupid. What if there is no better option? You just get rid of one player who is doing his job. Let's be clear here, he isn't a stand out, but he has been doing his job. Keep in mind a couple of weeks ago people were also saying he was getting back to his best.

So we fuck him off, we end up with some substandard fluffybunny because some nitwit made the decision to not re-sign a player who at a time was one of the best locks in the world without even considering who would replace him, and EOD. So now we're left with a shit reserve lock too so we can't even change things up and hope for any better. How does that improve anything?

If there's a better option, you look at it. If there isn't, you try and get the best out of what you've got.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph. But why do you look for a better option if you are happy with the performances of the existing player. Short answer is: You don't.

You certainly wouldn't tap a James Horwill OR ANYBODY ELSE FOR THAT MATTER on the shoulder unless you had a much much better performing player in your sights

D

daz

Can I just be one of the alternate voices to say that as a supporter of another Oz franchise, I speak for many others who are quite happy for RG to be the Reds coach?

Long may he reign!

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
You can't just get rid of current talent due to the lack of performance without a viable alternative….The only option the reds have would be to import, players or sign scraps from other franchises.

There are some definite gems in the premier competitions but people really under estimate the transition between the two levels. It can take some players two off seasons just to get the physical attributes down pat let alone the other intangibles.

The only way we are going to see a massive exodus of current stars at the reds is if a bunch of european and japanese stars to decide to come home, we grab other franchise rejects or we get international players.

The only real current domestic star available is Kane Douglas, and i would question the decision if the reds decided to throw cash at him.

Richard Graham is in a pickle on how he can lift this squad of the canvas however he is paid the big bucks to make these decisions and i am willing to give him another off season to see how he does it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Another lock needed in QLD?

What about Tom MURDAY?

Playing some club footy in Canberra as a semi pro with the VIkings.

Seen moonlighting in NZ ITM cup last year for the Northland Taniwhas.

Big lump of a lad from memory of the ITM cup last year, and I think he is originally from Queensland.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Getting Tom Murday back would be a good start. He was impressive last season for Northland was it? He also holds the record for fastest time eating a 1kg steak in 3 min 45 sec.

1kg steak consumption time should be as important a factor in selecting the tight five as the beep test is for the Jessica's.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Murday was leading lineout taker at the Taniwha and got around the park well too.

Problem you've got is the same as the Wallabies have: Simmons partnering Horwill for so long, there are no opportunities to stake your claim. Their form declines, the coach is going to back them to find it again, because he knows they can, while you've got no credit.

T

tranquility

Tom Murday is not the tallest bloke either from memory. Still, he is defintely a Brisbane boy, so it couldn't hurt to get him back in the system if he were better than the other blokes.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Blues website has him listed as 200cm and 112kg. For locks they really should list wingspan dimensions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

The Blues website has him listed as 200cm and 112kg. For locks they really should list wingspan dimensions though.

Sounds about right, I know we talk about arm span alot on here, but I think scientifically it is proven that our height is almost ways the same as your arm span give or take a few centimeters. Obviously their will be some outliers.

David Pocock for one has very long levers.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah wingspan was probably the wrong word. Vertical reach may have been better? ;)
In any case I was attempting to passively point out that the height of a lock alone is not the be all and end all.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sounds about right, I know we talk about arm span alot on here, but I think scientifically it is proven that our height is almost ways the same as your arm span give or take a few centimeters. Obviously their will be some outliers.

David Pocock for one has very long levers.

There's a pretty huge skew (v. the general population) for long arms in the NFL for defensive ends (and linebackers to a lesser degree). I wouldn't be surprised to find the same thing in rugby union when looking at locks.

T

tranquility

There's a pretty huge skew (v. the general population) for long arms in the NFL for defensive ends (and linebackers to a lesser degree). I wouldn't be surprised to find the same thing in rugby union when looking at locks.

Interesting. Speaking with a friend of mine doing medicine, who has very little interest in sport as a spectacle, and more of the athletes physical make-ups, referred to professional athletes as often being "mutants." That is, as displaying genetic mutations that allow them to do things physically and aerobically that the general public cannot due to the slightly irregular bio-mechanical setups.

I believe Issac Luke, found out part way through is career that he had unusual knee ligaments which allowed him more flexibility and therefor he was able to be more nimble than the average person. I can't find a link unfortunately.

Without waffling on too much, it would not surprise if elite athletes did have larger wing spans and did in fact make up a large percentage of the outlier population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom