• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That is, as displaying genetic mutations that allow them to do things physically and aerobically that the general public cannot due to the slightly irregular bio-mechanical setups

Yup, you can see it in the phenotype for some of these guys as well when it comes to certain attributes.

755c3326b4212a64781962cde0feb09e45662.jpg

I'd actually forgotten that arm length was an attractive attribute for linemen as well (same with wide receiver and safety/corner, pretty much a sought after attribute at every position but RB), when you're strong enough to gain leverage with arms that length..

That's a 6'7" man with arms that go nearly to his knees..36 5/8" per arm to be exact (93cm).

Skelton's arms rest around mid-thigh, for comparison:

312404-will-skelton.jpg

Even the more physically gifted 5'10" cornerbacks will have 30-31 inch arms. Just Gilbert just entered the NFL this year, 4.37 40yard dash, 6'0" with 33.125" arms. If you were to incorporate his chest measurement you have a man that's literally wider than he is tall.

5545162c452a1f65ac27e72330d2a63f.jpg

I mean, how do you get separation from a guy that has the ability to occupy several feet of space on either side of his body without even moving?

CFS and Izzy are both good examples of this too. Even with modern training and medicine you don't get legs like CFS at that age without some special genetics. Izzy is the same size as some back rowers but is infinitely more nimble than any of them.

You can even make the argument that there's a genetic influence in players like Beale and Cooper who (beyond being remarkable athletes from a physical perspective) literally seem to process visual information on the field faster than even their other professional counterparts.

Sorry for the off-topic post, guys.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
?......I mean, how do you get separation from a guy that has the ability to occupy several feet of space on either side of his body without even moving?

CFS and Izzy are both good examples of this too. Even with modern training and medicine you don't get legs like CFS at that age without some special genetics. Izzy is the same size as some back rowers but is infinitely more nimble than any of them.

You can even make the argument that there's a genetic influence in players like Beale and Cooper who (beyond being remarkable athletes from a physical perspective) literally seem to process visual information on the field faster than even their other professional counterparts.

Sorry for the off-topic post, guys.
I'm not quite sure of the point/s you are making.
Wing span means fuck all when you are defending.
It's shoulder first,or sorry guys.....
Absolutely agree that genetics such as CFS & IF display,give them an advantage.
But we always knew a faster or stronger guy had an advantage,didn't we?

T

tranquility

I'm not quite sure of the point/s you are making.
Wing span means fuck all when you are defending.
It's shoulder first,or sorry guys...
Absolutely agree that genetics such as CFS & IF display,give them an advantage.
But we always knew a faster or stronger guy had an advantage,didn't we?

Arms have quite alot to do with defense actually. Admittedly the point of contact is made with the shoulder, but wingspan is what is used to corral attacker. Also a highly technical defender, will actually hook and lock his outside arm onto his inside elbow, behind the attacking player's legs in a perfect tackle.

Did you play before you watched, I like to watch?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't be a dick.

But if your are going to be a dick,then get the day right!

Seriously,once you remove your gridiron data what is the point?
We know faster/ stronger players have an advantage.
Measurements just quantify the advantage, I thought.
Hence my request for clarification from you.

Looking forward to reading your paper on genetic influences in processing visual data.
Hoping your data does not include 2014 season,as it would pretty much ruin your hypothesis.

T

tranquility

I think you missed the point, which is not about players being faster or stronger. But in fact why it is the case. Sometimes it is the result of a bio-mechanical irregularity which is why my friend referred to athletes as quite often being "mutants." So it is my fault we got so far off track. Apologies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep,only read from the top of the page, so the context was totally lost on me.
Usually the site takes me to the last post that I read?
Any way, moving along,unless this is part of the reds recruitment plan in 2015?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
http://gawker.com/5038018/michael-phelps-freakish-physique-explained
Swim demon Michael Phelps won his 8th gold medal of the 2008 Olympics last night, his 14th overall. How does he do it? It's that crazy 6'4" bod of his! "Generally, a man's arm span equals his height but in his case it's 6'7"-three inches more than his height. Naturally his arms work as powerful propulsive paddles, giving him a clear edge over others. His lower body, interestingly, is shorter than that of an average man of his height. His relatively short legs result in less drag or resistance. In short, Phelps has an upper body of a 6'8" person but his lower body seems to be of someone who is only 5'10", which also make the perfect plane in water." More science after the jump.
His size 14 feet may not dwarf Ian Thrope's size 17 but Phelps' double-jointed ankles allow him to do a ballerina's 'pointe' standing on the tips of the toes. It allows him to whip his feet as if those are flippers and break loose.

His unique constitution also produces less lactic acid than others which means Phelps takes less time to recover. And if he looks indefatigable at times, it's because of the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which he was diagnosed with at the tender age of nine. His daily routine is equally mindboggling.

He consumes 12,000 calorie every day and trains 96 km every week. Naturally it was hardly surprising when Russian swimmer Alexander Sukhorukov went on to describe Phelps as "just a normal person, from a different planet, a planet from a different galaxy."

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So we need 15 x 125kg blokes with arms to their ankles and legs 2 foot long that can jump 10 feet into the air, can benchpress 200kg, run like Bolt,

We would be unbeatable "monsters" - fucking ugly but who cares about that

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The discussion about an athete's make up may not be to far off topic.

I have been saying for a while that Davies & Toua should be studied in an attempt to determine if their continued injury status is actually a result of their physical make up. If this is the case should we cut & run?

Just a thought. As you were.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Its mainly thoee fast blokes that cop the hammy injuries - most forwards are born without those troublesome things - isn't it something to do with "fast twitch" muscles.

Wouldn't think a pectoral muscle injury would have anything to do with physical attributes or otherwise - any bugger can cop one of those just like a head knock

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So we need 15 x 125kg blokes with arms to their ankles and legs 2 foot long that can jump 10 feet into the air, can benchpress 200kg, run like Bolt,

We would be unbeatable "monsters" - fucking ugly but who cares about that

Sounds like what League has now become. The pursuit on bigger = better and to peptide your way to Paul Gallen's size!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its mainly thoee fast blokes that cop the hammy injuries - most forwards are born without those troublesome things - isn't it something to do with "fast twitch" muscles.

Wouldn't think a pectoral muscle injury would have anything to do with physical attributes or otherwise - any bugger can cop one of those just like a head knock

Realise that some injuries are unrelated, e.g. Toua's pectoral injury, but the endless hamstring and general leg injuries that have been in Toua's & Rocket's past just seem to coincidential. Along with the recent 'calf strain' for Gilly as he was coming back from the hamstring tear.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just had a thought. Not sure if it was in this thread or the Reds 2014 thread but someone posted a chat about players and their positions. Basicly saying pick a position & go with it....

Whilst in most cases I would agree with you I think that you need to be careful. With the inexperienced players in particular & with all players in general. (notice I said inexperienced not young.)

I personally don't think that most players start playing in/suiting the same position that they do by the end of their career. E.G, Samo - started on the wing & gradually moved his way into the back row.

Yes some players suit a particular position and all players should be picked in their best position, but how do you work out which position is best. Until this season I would have staked my life on CFS being a winger first & a centre at pinch. Now after seeing how he has developed (read grown up) over the last pre season I think he needs to be put in 13 & left there with coaching from some experienced heads to develop his game.

I think that this issue is also highlighted by those player who play a different position at international level then Super Rugby or club. E.g. JOC (James O'Connor) - Excellent international wing & you wouldn't play him elsewhere unless you had to, but perhaps 15 is his spot in Super Rugby/club. To'omua - 12 or 10. Hooper - brillant Super Rugby 7, but an excellent international centre. (Sorry - that is a bait).

Yes there are some basic skills that particular positions require but utility players are always going to be in demand. Otherwise we are going to end up with 15 players on the bench and then start swapping attacking players with denfensive players during the game and ........... starting to sound like another game somewhere don't you think.

My 2 cents anyway.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think in junior rugby the Coach normally would ask if you want to be a forward or back Then body shape and speed generally determines position - maybe throw in ability as well.
As boys get older positions often change simply because of body shape and generally speed or the lack of it - Junior backs often become forwards - rarely the other way around.
Think Daley was an 8 who went up front and slipper was a 10
There are plenty of examples but I cannot think of one that went the other way

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think in junior rugby the Coach normally would ask if you want to be a forward or back Then body shape and speed generally determines position - maybe throw in ability as well.
As boys get older positions often change simply because of body shape and generally speed or the lack of it - Junior backs often become forwards - rarely the other way around.
Think Daley was an 8 who went up front and slipper was a 10
There are plenty of examples but I cannot think of one that went the other way

Not Junior Rugby. But big Richie Vernon of Glasgow Warriors has been turned into a Center from No. 8. Played a lot of 7s and 13 at club level, earned 6-8 games on merit towards the end of the season. You'll probably see him turn out at the commonwealth games as a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.