• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Grab squad?
Don't fool yourself into believing that the rest of the teams don't have wider training squads as well, Reds just market theirs better. Brumbies have recruited a couple of Queenslanders in recent weeks.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
So Talakai has been signed into the "elite development squad". http://bit.ly/1t1Nknq

I assume that means there's still a spot available in the main squad? I still hope for a rip snorter of a THP as a final signing. Just not sure who it will be.

Im on the same page here and for the life of me can't think who they'd be getting?

My guess is some 'no-name' Northern hemisphere prop whos hard as nails. I don't mean no-name as degrading either, more that no one will know who the hell he is until he obliterates scrum after scrum like a machine. I hope.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
our challenge with recruiting is that in Adam Thompson we have our marquee player done and dusted. So the options are:

1) an Aussie overseas, a Salesi Ma'afu type. Can anyone think of others in Europe, UK or Japan?
2) An overseas development player who hasn't represented their country yet. Not sure if this is exactly what we want do we.
3) An as yet unsigned prop from another franchise. I think it has been confirmed that PAE has been re-signed by the Rebels correct?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are there no exceptions for minnow nation players to get contracts outside the marquee status? For example I thought I read somewhere there were exceptions for Japanese players. Maybe its a big Georgian prop, aren't there a few of those blokes floating around the Top 14?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Are there no exceptions for minnow nation players to get contracts outside the marquee status? For example I thought I read somewhere there were exceptions for Japanese players. Maybe its a big Georgian prop, aren't there a few of those blokes floating around the Top 14?
There is an extra squad space for a Japanese player, but Tui fills that for us.

Based on the logo flashes at the end of that squad reveal video there is still a wallaby to be signed, but who knows how accurate that is.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
It concerns me that we literally can't field a team from our main squad.

Realistically we should sign two props to the main squad, but there aren't any around that I'm aware of.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Props Signed to the main squad: Slipper, Holmes, Daley
Props Signed to Elite Development Squad: Paraka, Faagase, Talakai
The Avengers squad: Thor

I can only think of two aussie props overseas and thats Ma'afu and Longbottom and i believe both are contracted for next year. We will really be in the shit if we dont sign 2 props because holmes is out for the 1st couple of games i think which leaves us with 2 props.

T

Train Without a Station

Thinker,

The Stars had 3 props on full-time Super Rugby contracts and it wasn't much benefit to them. Ours towelled them up pretty easily I thought.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Props Signed to the main squad: Slipper, Holmes, Daley
Props Signed to Elite Development Squad: Paraka, Faagase, Talakai
The Avengers squad: Thor

I can only think of two aussie props overseas and thats Ma'afu and Longbottom and i believe both are contracted for next year. We will really be in the shit if we dont sign 2 props because holmes is out for the 1st couple of games i think which leaves us with 2 props.

It looks like that will be the Front row squad for the Reds in 2015. No more international spots are open and all Australian props seem to be locked up. Also believe that they would be close to the cap with big signings including Hunt, O'Connor, Thompson, Tui etc and still having Cooper, Genia, Horwill etc on their books.
They has to be a sacrifice somewhere in the squad and It seems they will take a long term plan in the front row with Thor amongst the likes of Peraka, Talakai and Faagase. Very promising if you ask me.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
It looks like that will be the Front row squad for the Reds in 2015. No more international spots are open and all Australian props seem to be locked up. Also believe that they would be close to the cap with big signings including Hunt, O'Connor, Thompson, Tui etc and still having Cooper, Genia, Horwill etc on their books.
They has to be a sacrifice somewhere in the squad and It seems they will take a long term plan in the front row with Thor amongst the likes of Peraka, Talakai and Faagase. Very promising if you ask me.

My only problem then is why give players like Paraka and Faagase Development contracts when they are fully intended to play next season? im not complaining that they will play cause both were named in various 23s last season and i think they were both up there as some of the form props in the NRC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Money - you'd have to think.

Just the Reds hedging their bet on the two. There's a lot of time, and training between now and February.

Yes, could easily be the understanding that someone on a development contract will be upgraded and someone in the wider training squad or whatever they're calling it now will get an EPS contract.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not trying to hark on about previous discussions, but I was just watching some old IRB videos and I found out that Liam Gill is the youngest ever player to compete at the JWC. He is still extremely young and I think the JWC is an excellent indicator of how successful players will be so it's cemented even more my belief that Gill has a very illustrious career ahead.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So a quick look at OS Aussie props leads me to this undoubtedly incomplete list:

- Albert Anae @ Bennetton Treviso = No go.
- Kieran Longbottom @ Saracens = No go.

Which leads me to these four:

- Salesi Ma'afu @ Northampton = can't work out current contract position but previously played at the Force under both Graham and (perhaps more importantly) Nick Stiles
- Salesi Manu @ Bennetton I think = as for Ma'afu, another former Forcer who was coached by Graham and Stiles.
- Danya Edwards @ Grenoble = the former QLD Red is still going around at 29. No further news.
- Lotu Taukeiaho @ Grenoble = don't know this guy but he used to play for Randwick I believe and perhaps had some sort of contract at the Tahs? 30 years of age.

Some prosepects. Manu would be an interesting little snare as long as they could get his attitude right.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Thinker,

The Stars had 3 props on full-time Super Rugby contracts and it wasn't much benefit to them. Ours towelled them up pretty easily I thought.

Firstly, I will never concede the Ryan is a professional prop. But really this isn't NRC. Big step up for these boys and I think they are in a great spot to learn and develop.

If they are in the top 5 they should be in the main squad. We are only going to have room in a 23 for one of McDuling, Quirk, Browning, Tui, Robinson yet not enough props while it might be a sneaky way around the squad limitations (eg list them as development until they play the number of games required to bump them up to full squad) but it is mightily short-sighted.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)

I heard a stat today that 69% of registered rugby players in Georgia, are props....and some also say...that they can touch MC Hammer!

Status
Not open for further replies.