• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's simple. One (holding back) is illegal play and a penalty, the other is foul play and a yellow. The penalty would (should) be reversed and the puncher binned every time.

Of course, more should be done to stop holding back at rucks, but that's another story.

T

Tip

IMO, if one is binned, both should be binned and the Penalty given to the team of the player that was held back.

That way, everyone wins. No one will hold anyone back. Because they'll get punched in the face, and have a 10 minute cool down period after. As well as being on the receiving end of a penalty.

Holding someone back off the ball is illegal play, but it's also a professional foul. Someone is deliberately infringing with no attempt to play the ball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think that's ever likely to be the result.

The IRB is never going to implement a system that allows a player to punch someone else and get an overall positive result for their team from the referee.

It's definitely a problem that needs to be sorted out, but it won't be through the method you describe.

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
the fairest result would be a yellow for a professional foul, and then reverse the penalty for retaliation if it is bad, or 2 yellows if it's vicious. But this remains a serious problem. It's unfortunate but the ref is always going to go one way. I remember when i used to play B'ball, i wasn't that great so i relied on sneakily holding onto peoples jersey's in defence. I rarely got caught, in fact my opposite number got penalised for striking me a few times. One time I thought a BGS dad was going to come on the court and knock me out, they were getting that fired up. It sucks but competitive people tend to play the ref, not the game.

T

Tip

The IRB is never going to implement a system that allows a player to punch someone else and get an overall positive result for their team from the referee.
I know it's never going to be the likely result.

Unfortunately the IRB is worried about perception and methods instead of the end result. Prime example is rucking.

Do we want to see fast paced rugby? If we do then we'd legalize rucking. Suddenly, Richie & co. would be a lot more urgent in rolling away from our side of the ruck if the prospect of 4 100kg bloodthirsty men trodding all over you with 18mm tags.

You'd be surprised how quickly people respond when confronted with force.

Did anyone watch State of Origin this year? Is it any coincidence that, since the NRL imposed miniumum bans for punches, there is more niggle than ever seen before? NRL players are free to niggle and pest as much as they want because they know there is NO physical consequences for them as noone wants to throw a handbag.

Niggle, (which includes Holding someone back) should result in the niggler in the bloodbin with a bloodied nose and a black eye. Bakkies Botha wouldn't stand for this shit, and no one would ever dare hold Bakkies back. Ever wonder why?

T

Tip

the fairest result would be a yellow for a professional foul, and then reverse the penalty for retaliation if it is bad, or 2 yellows if it's vicious.

My biggest gripe is, that a penalty is rarely called for holding back unless the opposition retaliates.

T

Train Without a Station

Holding in the ruck is a blight. But I think people on this thread are getting far too carried away.

I say this as a player whose biggest strength was pilfering so settle down people. Holding does very little to negatively affect the spectacle of the game. If anything, it illegally makes it more appealing. Nobody (well not that many people anyway) comes to see teams slow down rucks and steal balls at the ruck.

The only people who notice it are fans of the team slighted. If it was a bunch of fringe supporters with no allegiances watching they would probably barely notice.

Yes it would be better for the game to get rid of holding. Personally I'd rather referees clamped down on lazy tacklers not rolling away. Now that is something that negatively affects the spectacle of the game.

T

Tip

Here is an article on Foxsports that would interest fellow Reds supporters.

I recall a fair few pages ago we were all wondering what the exact count was regarding Reds membership numbers. (Paying members, not the fudged 60k membership numbers that include any junior that plays a game of touch)

They are saying that the Reds have over 17,000 members for 2015 already. I expect that number would increase two fold over the next 14 weeks before Super Rugby starts again.

What an enviable position to be in, already having more members than the average crowd figures of Rebels, Force & ponies. And to have that money in the bank 9 months early is a godsend!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I recall a fair few pages ago we were all wondering what the exact count was regarding Reds membership numbers. (Paying members, not the fudged 60k membership numbers that include any junior that plays a game of touch)

They are saying that the Reds have over 17,000 members for 2015 already. I expect that number would increase two fold over the next 14 weeks before Super Rugby starts again.

I'm afraid Tip that both the 17,000 and the 60,000 numbers are from the same source (see top of this page)

If you don't believe one you can't believe the other.

Still, at this stage those 17,000 are probably fully paid up season ticket holders so it's a good result

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-union/reds/karmichael-hunt-could-be-world-cup-key-isaac-20141117-11oe7b.html

"He was very strong in the tackle with strong core and leg drive. We used him more in a playmaker role as his ball handling… his decision making and organizational skills were too impressive not to utilise at first or second receiver. In saying this he was such a complete player, he was very versatile," Isaac said.

Interesting read about Karmichael Hunt from his former coach at Biarritz.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting that he is adamant as to K's playmaking skills. Perhaps 12 is his spot? Puts Taps and Ant under pressure. Gives JOC (James O'Connor) a shot at fullback and perhaps someone like Kuridrani a shot out wide. Love having options.

I don't think there is a person out there who disagrees with the blokes abilities.

The proof will be in his first 2 or 3 games. Very short honeymoon I reckon.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I know it's never going to be the likely result.

Unfortunately the IRB is worried about perception and methods instead of the end result. Prime example is rucking.

Do we want to see fast paced rugby? If we do then we'd legalize rucking. Suddenly, Richie & co. would be a lot more urgent in rolling away from our side of the ruck if the prospect of 4 100kg bloodthirsty men trodding all over you with 18mm tags.

You'd be surprised how quickly people respond when confronted with force.

Did anyone watch State of Origin this year? Is it any coincidence that, since the NRL imposed miniumum bans for punches, there is more niggle than ever seen before? NRL players are free to niggle and pest as much as they want because they know there is NO physical consequences for them as noone wants to throw a handbag.

Niggle, (which includes Holding someone back) should result in the niggler in the bloodbin with a bloodied nose and a black eye. Bakkies Botha wouldn't stand for this shit, and no one would ever dare hold Bakkies back. Ever wonder why?

You were doing really well here until you introduced Bakkies Botha as your role model example, but I still gave you a like.

B

Bobby Sands

On the right track though. Bakkies erred on the wrong side of the line more often than not, but an amazing player and will go down as one of the great enforcers. A type that we rarely, if ever produce.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
On the right track though. Bakkies erred on the wrong side of the line more often than not, but an amazing player and will go down as one of the great enforcers. A type that we rarely, if ever produce.

"Retaliate first and before something happens" is his motto. Yes he was hard, but his propensity for cheap shots took a lot of shine off his raw toughness.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think there is a person out there who disagrees with the blokes abilities.

The proof will be in his first 2 or 3 games. Very short honeymoon I reckon.

don't take such an extreme long-term view.
you will know withing 40 minutes, max.

*** unless his first appearance is against the Tahs and the Reds are getting creamed and reamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.