• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What about even Jim McKay? I've been rather unimpressed with Steve Meehan and wouldn't mind McKay back for the backs.

BTW, Wilkins is now running the defence as an assistant coach. Yet somehow it seems all the same as last year with no aggression. I wonder if Graham is doing to Wilkins what Link did to Graham: let them run the defence, but the system is from the head coach,
I think it's unlikely that 2 individuals could come up with the same ineffective defensive system independently.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'm always curious why provincial teams haven't really gone down the consultant route. We saw in 2007 that Jake White enlisted Eddie to come on board for a certain period to act as a fresh set of eyes on the Bok set up. I'm pretty sure Graeme Henry has done the same for the Pumas. Would it be too much for the Reds to even bring in Taylor or even Link for a week or two to see what's going on from an outsider perspective.

Companies enlist these third parties all the time and in such a high risk environment I've never understood why Head Coaches are so engrained in doing it their way without any deviation.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Didn't notice Schatz.

He could take a few pages out of McCalman's performance book for the Force against the Waratahs.
It's about time Shatz showed the fans what he's made of. He really does need to step up, considering he went on the EOY to Europe (admittedly after injuries there)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I may be wrong but this is something RG was reluctant to do last year and copped some criticism for. My faith in him turning the year around just increased a couple of percentage points to 3.

I was of the same mind, until I read the quote. He said something like, "we didn't see that coming". From what I can see he is referring to one of two things. What the Brumbies brought to the game or the Reds being so passive. Presumably he's talking about the former.

How could he not see that coming?! The Brumbies did exactly what the Brumbies do. That's exactly what he should've seen coming! :confused:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Which people. Because I rate A.Fainga highly. He has long been the defensive lynchpin of the Reds back line and if fit will start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard Reds fans say his too slow and does pass enough.. but obvious people who know rugby know his pretty important to your team..(like you guys ;) )

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ant is great defensively. He brings some stability abnd composure to a couple of young blokes who have been shown up big time.

Big centres who tackle like muppets need some help

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah I was downright distraught about the defensive effort last week in the centres.

Ant and Kerevi in the centres will be good. CFS will be benched with Turner and Kuridrani on the wings.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
CFS has been a star in the making - from about Y10 at BSHS. Whilst he has made Wallabies he has never really locked down a starting spot each week for the Reds. Bloke has had a million injuries etc etc etc.

Whilst he can be brilliant every now and again there has never been consistency and that is a real shame.

Similar story to Curtis - Y10 - 3 years in Aussie Schoolboys - I thought he would end up being extremely physical and imposing a few years after school. He hasn't reached those heights (yet) and with Adam Thomson looking at being the 6, Curtis will have plenty of time coming off the bench in 2015. Bloke is still a youngster so maybe in a year or two those things will change.

T

TOCC

CFS has a number of issues he needs to sort out, a year in the NRC to build confidence is really needed for him. He has only played patches of super rugby since he left school, he needs a season of consistent rugby at a lower tier to build his confidence in his ability again, as well as iron out some of the flaws in defence.

Curtis is just 21, few forwards have debut'd by their 21st birthday let alone physically dominating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
CFS hasn't played enough rugby of recent years and has lost some of the instincts of the game that come from regular match play.

That was pretty much the problem with Aiden in the end - had all the physical abilities but had negligible feel for the game compared to other individuals of the same age.

*edit* ^^^also what @TOCC said above whilst I was typing my response.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tocc

I think shatz slipper Simmons certainly Gilly , Quirk all were around 20 on debut
But I do agree in respect of domination at that early age.

I just recall the hype around Curtis back in the day. Bloke is good but I just thought he may have been a little better even at this early stage of his career

Status
Not open for further replies.