• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I still find it unbelieveable that the professional rugby coach of a full-time professional rugby team can go into a season without an experienced back up in a key position. At least some of the problems currently besetting the Reds come from this basic mistake. The nature of professional rugby means that every side has to cope with injuries and while they are always going to have an impact, the idea that any team can go into the start of the season with only one competent option at 10 is mind-blowing.

And just as the Waratahs train wreck of 2011 played its part in derailing RWC 2011, the Reds current predicament is bad for Australian rugby, particularly in a RWC year.
While I agree with your post, the decision is easily defended by the coach.

If QC (Quade Cooper) gets injured then you can choose a 10 that won a premiership in France, a wallaby 10 or the best player in the NRC (my opinion of Frisby) or a kid who has heaps of potential from NRL.

We have some viable options that the coaching team can use as a defense.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For the Reds to turn their season around it will be a matter of adding structure to their game. On second viewing of the Tahs game, it looked like a game of shift the ball aimlessly and hope for the best without any game plan whatsoever. What ever happened to earning the right to go wide after a few punch phases in the tight. The Reds barely made the gain line. Too static when receiving the ball and way too lateral in attack. I really do sometimes wonder what RG tells the players.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We have a game plan that we've been using all season. It's just that injuries made it difficult to execute on the weekend.
You see we normally pass it to Kerevi and hope he makes a bust but on the weekend that meant passing it into the stands which was confusing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
For the Reds to turn their season around it will be a matter of adding structure to their game. On second viewing of the Tahs game, it looked like a game of shift the ball aimlessly and hope for the best without any game plan whatsoever. What ever happened to earning the right to go wide after a few punch phases in the tight. The Reds barely made the gain line. Too static when receiving the ball and way too lateral in attack. I really do sometimes wonder what RG tells the players.

I've yet to see a Reds team under Graham play to any coherent structure. Nearly everytime they lose they say that they couldn't execute the game plan. It may be a bit too much to expect any structure now. The thing was, though, under Link the Reds were very structure and played to a visible pattern.

The win against the Force was actually the closest I've seen the Reds under Graham play to a structure, and that's because they went one-off forwards to a contestable kick.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Regardless of injuries, the players that take to the field need to know their role. This is professional rugby not schoolboys. E.g. Off a linneout, phase 1: Hit Gill or Ant in midfield. Phase 2: forwards around the corner, attacking the same way with on-off forward runners, Genia hitting Kotze and friends. Phase 3: Forward runner, gets call to shift it out the back door. Phase 4: Clueless, shift, hope for the best. Phase 5: Going backwards because of no 'deliberate' attack. Phase 6: turnover. Players need to know where to go and when, even in general phase play, so that everything seamlessly falls into place.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Anyone know the numbers of attendance in the clash against Tahs?

Around 27,000.

Ironically if felt like more at the ground.

Having been to every match in the same seat at Suncorp since they moved their, and having previous experience in the industry, the numbers often seem to be inflated. Last Saturday felt and looked like a 33-35k crowd. There were seats being used that haven't been used since the 2011 final.

Reactions: gel

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It this point I'd be minded to give Duncan the reigns. At least he's an actual 10 that might attack the line.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It this point I'd be minded to give Duncan the reigns. At least he's an actual 10 that might attack the line.

flyhalf roulette continues. 3 in 4 games so far.

On track to beat our 2012 record of 5 for the season (where we used 4 in the first 7 games)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Anything but Frisby please. We cant see a repeat of last week. I cant remember the reds backline ever looking so ineffective.

Is Kerevi back this week?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

BDA
If a player wears Number 10, smells and looks like a number 10, it doesn't necessarily mean that he IS actually a 10

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anything but Frisby please. We cant see a repeat of last week. I cant remember the reds backline ever looking so ineffective.

Is Kerevi back this week?

Someone else having the knives out for Frisby after the weekend, its getting a bit old. Placing the lack of attacking cohesion on the shoulders of the bloke wearing 10 is a bit of a cop out don't you think?

CFS didn't run any good lines and FTA was his usual self in attack (one dimensional and boring). I daresay JOC (James O'Connor) was supposed to get involved at first receiver more often as well but that never happened. When he did slot in there weren't exactly sparks flying either.

Putting the blame on Frisby like the commentators did on the weekend won't solve anything. Clearly the game-plan has been modified due to not having our first choice flyhalf available and I doubt whomever gets to fill those boots will do much better unless there is a change in the attacking structure. Yes, Frisby didn't have a great game but I don't think anyone else would have done much more in that situation. He also setup some of our best attacking sequences with some good long passing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Someone else having the knives out for Frisby after the weekend, its getting a bit old. Placing the lack of attacking cohesion on the shoulders of the bloke wearing 10 is a bit of a cop out don't you think?

CFS didn't run any good lines and FTA was his usual self in attack (one dimensional and boring). I daresay JOC (James O'Connor) was supposed to get involved at first receiver more often as well but that never happened. When he did slot in there weren't exactly sparks flying either.

Putting the blame on Frisby like the commentators did on the weekend won't solve anything. Clearly the game-plan has been modified due to not having our first choice flyhalf available and I doubt whomever gets to fill those boots will do much better unless there is a change in the attacking structure. Yes, Frisby didn't have a great game but I don't think anyone else would have done much more in that situation. He also setup some of our best attacking sequences with some good long passing.

Just quietly which Red's back were providing any options for Frisby to hit?.

Who was running an inside line?

Who was providing an angle running?

Who was in motion off the ball?

T

TOCC

A.Fainga'a was doing a good crashball and running hard and straight, CFS offered no angles or lines at outside centre and I rarely saw a winger come off the wing searching for the inside ball or providing another option.. Frisby was poor but his fellow backline members offered him nothing..

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Just quietly which Red's back were providing any options for Frisby to hit?.

Who was running an inside line?

Who was providing an angle running?

Who was in motion off the ball?
True,but where is the evidence that Frisby was calling any of these things?
The case for the prosecution is that Frisby looked clueless in standing so deep,and it's not like he ran to the line,waiting for his runners,and was left posted all night.
I never saw him getting up after being sacked,remonstrating with his outside backs.
I'm generally a fan of him,but I reckon even his mum thought he was poor the other night.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
True,but where is the evidence that Frisby was calling any of these things?
The case for the prosecution is that Frisby looked clueless in standing so deep,and it's not like he ran to the line,waiting for his runners,and was left posted all night.
I never saw him getting up after being sacked,remonstrating with his outside backs.
I'm generally a fan of him,but I reckon even his mum thought he was poor the other night.

I don't believe the 10 needs "call it" really the same move can have 4 different outcomes, but every unit needs to be in motion and ready to be the "one"

It was the same last year, every back just seemed to be waiting for a Quade cut out.

But go back into full Link world and there was Digby on his inside shoulder, there was bloody Beau Robinson as first phase ball distributor, there was exceptionally quick movement to get the ball away from contact and the whole side knew what was going to happen next, there was a plan.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I disagree.
If those around him aren't running lines around him,it is up to him to demand they do.
But I don't blame inside runners not volunteering when the 10 is deep.
It's a kamikaze mission,the drifting defenders love bashing the inside runner when the 10 is not flat.
It's one for their highlights reel.

Status
Not open for further replies.