• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
gel, now that it is overwhelmingly and indisputably clear that RG has been a disaster for the Reds and is an appalling rugby coach, the next logical question which has loomed over this matter for some time is: how honest, objective and self-critical is the QRU board that appointed him in early 2012 with no search process or overt selection criteria?

Will they seek poor excuses and evade so as to protect their own self-defined prestige, or will they show the required courage and at long last deal with this debacle, learn the (very) hard lessons from it, set up a proper global search for a proven coach of quality, and 'do much better next time'?
Global search?
Which Mosman resident are you suggesting?
Eales?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone catch the presser?

Facebook page said it was up on the Reds Rugby home page, but I missed it. The photo showed a nearly empty room with barely any journos and just RG and a player (Slipper?).

Depressing.

So the burning question is: which performance was worse? Round 1, or tonight's?

And by how much with the Brumbies flog us by next week?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The writing was on the wall to read regarding Graham if one wanted to look. As late as round 2 last year I was commenting on the woeful defence structure of the Reds. That hasn't changed at all this year.

To go back a bit further, as Redshappy says, you really have to question the Reds board and Link himself about the decision making that saw Graham brought in. Unfortunately many here saw these results coming. Graham may well be a great bloke, IMO he hasn't been helped by a decision making system (if there was a genuine one) that promoted a bloke so obviously beyond his current capabilities.

When the camera panned acorss the Reds bench after half time there was no real fire or interest there, just a dull resignation. This side is beaten already.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Their scrambling defence has been excellent - kept them in the game on a few occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrambling defence is about individuals, the fact is they concede in the contact and line breaks are very easy to come by against the Reds. They have been vulnerable on the wings for two years now with the narrow defence structure they have. The Fox crew were very critical of Turner taking Folau in Betham's try, but did not comment that this has been their structure since 2013.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
^^^ set play defence is abysmal. I still reckon they'll hold the brumbies to within thirty.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To go back a bit further, as Redshappy says, you really have to question the Reds board and Link himself about the decision making that saw Graham brought in. Unfortunately many here saw these results coming. Graham may well be a great bloke, IMO he hasn't been helped by a decision making system (if there was a genuine one) that promoted a bloke so obviously beyond his current capabilities.

From what I understand, Link had nothing to do with Graham's appointment. It was the QRU board, of which several Graham is apparently close to.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
From what I understand, Link had nothing to do with Graham's appointment. It was the QRU board, of which several Graham is apparently close to.

friendships need to be ruined for the Reds to have any future Success.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
With the penalty count close to 40 in 4 games and the for and against just as bad. I see 2015 season still in good shape and heading in the right direction under RG and stiles work doing wonders with the forwards.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Everyone says what a good bloke he is, and I can see it.

But I agree, unfortunately he doesn't come across as the brightest guy, and his being a good human being doesn't lend itself to being a good coach, unfortunately.

Maybe he'd be better off with some other role at the Reds.

I have been happy to defend him against some of the bile said about him and cited him as a nice bloke who should be given a fair chance. I feel he has had that now and hasn't responded. Time to move on from him.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We offloaded the coach we didn't want to the Force.

Maybe you should try the same?

Just write Return to Sender on him and put him in an Australia Post box.

Yeah but he was the man many of you wanted to save the Tahs when Chris Hickey was not achieving anything.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

It's no secret that RG and one board member are particularly close having paired up in high school. This board member may or may not have previously been one of the most powerful sports "agents" and by all reports carried RG throughout his coaching career.

2 Franchises, 30% winning record at both. It's a damn joke and certainly not one ruining both QLD and Aus rugby for.

There really have to be questions over the boards competency.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Just after he's (deservedly) sacked he's going to wonder what could have been with fit and availible Cooper, Horwill, Simmons, Holmes, Robinson, Quirk, Hunt.

Who'd be a coach...

Of those listed only 12 totals games were missed in 2014. Quirk accounted for 6 of those games. Hunt is a repeated illicit drug user whom RG saw fit to appoint VC.

This has nothing to do with injuries. The man cannot coach. The injuries are just an externalisation of fault and why his teams never improve.

Look at the difference between Cheika and Graham. For two years RG has blamed everything possible, never internalising responsibility.

Tahs lost to Force, Chek straight away said HE got it wrong. That's not grandstanding for the players, that's taking responsibility so you can get better.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Of those listed only 12 totals games were missed in 2014. Quirk accounted for 6 of those games. Hunt is a repeated illicit drug user whom RG saw fit to appoint VC.

This has nothing to do with injuries. The man cannot coach. The injuries are just an externalisation of fault and why his teams never improve.

Look at the difference between Cheika and Graham. For two years RG has blamed everything possible, never internalising responsibility.

Tahs lost to Force, Chek straight away said HE got it wrong. That's not grandstanding for the players, that's taking responsibility so you can get better.

Ange Postecoglu would always do the same after a loss, making it clear the buck stops with him. It's in the DNA of a good coach/manager, no matter what the code.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
They were so deep it was just dumb. Another masterstroke from the master coaches Richard Graham and Steve Meehan.

How much longer until Richard Graham and Steve Meehan are sacked? How much longer can Graham and the Reds make excuses for his lack of coaching ability?
Is this a coaching decision?

Quade stood very flat and now we have seen Khunt, Frisby and JOC (James O'Connor) all stand so deep.

Does Quade ignore the coach?

I guess the the coaching staff must not watch too much of the game or dont listen with commentary on, they must realise after reviewing the game.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think it is a QLD mindset to only employ locally even though proven success comes when you pick the best candidate no matter where they are from.

QLD had its best recent success with an outside coach and I seem to recall someone from AFL getting a pretty high position (CEO??).

I think we need to start from scratch and build from the ground up before all our decent players leave.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Taps looked ok on his return, straightened and threatened a lot more than FTA. Let's see what happens this week.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

The grave next risk I see is that the QRU board will spiral into a long-delayed panic reaction over RG, sack him, and rush without a rigorous, considered search process into a knee-jerk reaction to, for example, promote the unproven 'insider' Stiles and we'll have the same or similar problem all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.