• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Indeed, but is he getting the most out of it? The Force have not had a problem competing up front with most teams at scrum and breakdown particularly. These are Foley's undoubted strengths. But the use of the ball is not progressing much. They seem to retain ball for multi-phases quite well, but the attacking structure is too one-dimensional with lots of pick and drives in close and then one out runners only about 1-2 wide. Not enough variety. I think Gnostic has a good point - do the first part well, build pressure and take points and wear teams down - this will work often. But it doesn't challenge defences enough if it is not fast enough or varied enough. Better teams will deal with it and be better on their own ball.
I would agree Foley is a very good coach in his area of expertise, but he hasn't really made the jump to a good head coach as yet. I reckon the Force could be better. Maybe some of the problem is not getting the right assistants around him?

Let's look at Godwin in isolation. All would agree that he got more out of him as a player in 2013. But this did not yield results did it?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Let's look at Godwin in isolation. All would agree that he got more out of him as a player in 2013. But this did not yield results did it?
I might be missing something, but I'm not sure I see your point. Are you saying Godwin shows he is, or is not, getting the best from his players? And that one player can be extrapolated to a team?

T

Train Without a Station

I might be missing something, but I'm not sure I see your point. Are you saying Godwin shows he is, or is not, getting the best from his players? And that one player can be extrapolated to a team?

That making the best use of every player's talents may not be successful in winning games.

I'd the first to agree that at the Waratahs Foley coaches to his limitations, rather than the limitations of his players though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That making the best use of every player's talents may not be successful in winning games.

I'd the first to agree that at the Waratahs Foley coaches to his limitations, rather than the limitations of his players though.
At the risk of derailing this thread more, I was saying that I don't think Foley is getting the best out of his players as a team really. And Godwin is one player. Given their strengths, I think they should do better. That's on him as head coach, due to how players are coached, game plan etc... As it was at the Tahs.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And here I was thinking this was the Red 2015 thread. Now I know our season is as good as over, but come on, what does all of this have to do with the Reds?
Good point, sorry, my fault. To the Force thread if needs be. But it was a discussion about less than ideal coaching! ;)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This is the same RG who is quietly confident the reds can win 8 in a row and make the finals.
Insight does not appear to be his strong point.
For all we know Quade could actually be out for the season.
I actually think he might be right about 8 in a row,but it won't be 8 wins.....

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Talking to a mate the other day about our tips. He asked if the Reds would get up against the Rebels and I said no. He (not much of a rugby fan just in the tipping comp for a laugh) said the he didn't think the Rebels were very good and if we can't beat them, who can we beat.
I told him then that I didn't think we'd win another game from here on in. I made that prediction with QC (Quade Cooper) in the team.
We are done. As dismal said, we should be targeting losing bonus points.

Status
Not open for further replies.