• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
On a more serious note though, I'm not sure why Knuckles would be brought in to 'coach' Graham. It does add a totally unnecessary layer of complexity. It could be quite possible that players would regress even further, particularly if there are competing coaching philosophies.

Best to get rid of the under performing coach, and begin a selection process for a suitable replacement. Our year is already in the toilet, we may as well sack Graham, and appoint an assistant as caretaker to enable a proper selection process.

T

TOCC

If rumours prove correct, a young Reds star touted as a future Wallaby will be making the move south in 2016...

This news disappoints me more then the loss of Horwill or Genia.

I won't say who or to which club, but prepared to be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well it depends on your definition of a star.. mine would be someone who has dominated Super Rugby, Kerevi is the only young player to do that. Curtis Browning?

Frisby too but he surely can't be leaving.

Seriously why even mention it if you won't give us a name? Even if it is a rumour.

T

TOCC

It's unfortunately not a rumour....

And I mention it because it's a reflection of the current state of the Reds and the Reds of 2016, just because I won't give you the name doesn't mean it isn't worthy of this thread.

IMO losing young stars is worse then losing the likes of senior players like Horwill, that's why I mention it because it's a reflection of the current system and is indicative of the faith players are placing in the setup and coaching team..

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
My mistake, so he did.

I can't figure it out because there are a lot of guys touted as being a "star" that aren't really, to be honest (that's not to say that they aren't really good - it's just maybe my definition of star is closer to that of @Qwerty's)

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The young star that is romoured to be leavig has to leave the Reds if he is a future wallaby. Be his best move if wants to become a Wallaby.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Browning and Kerevi are the obvious ones. McDuling & Magnay maybe others.

I would love to see Browning at 8 for the Brumbies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With 5 franchises worth of professional rugby contracts to be filled from 2 (& 1/3 [ACT]) nurseries of talent in Qld & NSW, young talented players will always be leaving QLD and NSW to further their career with the Rebels, Ponies or Force.

Often the reason for an interstate move is because of an established player in their position is a road block to them at the Tahs or Reds, with the interstate move giving a chance to get a gig in the run on squad.

Sometimes it is due to conflict with Coaching staff, or perception of a better culture or "package" in ACT, Melbourne, or Perth. An offer of a leadership position can sway a player away from their home state, as can the potential of a better chance to score a Wallaby jumper.

There are plenty of talented young athletes coming out of Qld, always have been, and always will be. Don't panic. Not all future stars are the superstars from U18 or U20 level. For many that is the peak, and they get passed by those with more determination to become better athletes.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's unfortunately not a rumour..

And I mention it because it's a reflection of the current state of the Reds and the Reds of 2016, just because I won't give you the name doesn't mean it isn't worthy of this thread.

IMO losing young stars is worse then losing the likes of senior players like
Horwill, that's why I mention it because it's a reflection of the current system and is indicative of the faith players are placing in the setup and coaching team..

Yes TOCC. This is perhaps the biggest reason I was/am an advocate for sacking Graham now (or weeks ago!).

Leaving him in place along with the QRU's stubborn statements of 'we support him and he won't be replaced this season' only extends the disillusionment and anxiety over the future state and team viability of the Reds. Such an environment is ripe for interstate and overseas approaches offering greater motivation, security and, potentially, money.

If Graham was however sacked now, at least mistakes could be admitted, a more open culture immediately implemented, and the opportunity for positive change and a new beginning taken up by players and club officials alike.

Leaving the toxic current status quo in place significantly increases the risk of the Reds best older and younger players departing, or actively wanting to do so.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Non-Wallabies capped Reds squad members:

Browning; 22
Fakosilea; 20
Frisby; 23
Hunt; 28
Kerevi; 22
Kuridrani; 23
Magnay; 18
McDuling; 26
Paia'aua; 20
Quirk; 23
Ready; 21
Taulagi; 21

Not sure if all of these guys are Wallabies eligible but the list isn't that long and the list of players that would leave most Reds fans properly disappointed is very short IMO.
Fuck this.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Regardless or who did or didn't have input into RG's appointment, surely it's obvious to the QRU that things are now spiralling dangerously into the abyss.

While money is a big factor in player movements, the Reds will find it extremely difficult to retain and/or recruit elite level players with RG et al in place. The longer this current situation goes on the harder it will be to bring it back.

I watched a replay of the Reds v Bulls game yesterday afternoon and decided to focus on individuals for periods of time and there is a lot of talent in that Reds team who are all trying really hard. At the moment they resemble the French national team who seemingly have little cohesion across the field and the tactics seem just wierd. For example on a number of times coming out of defence the centres run through as decoys and Frisbee gave it to Hunt for the kick - it happened that often it must have been practised, but it was done so ponderously that I don't think it came off once. If you can't get a long kick downfield in Pretoria you can't anywhere.

Good players are actually better off without a coach than with a bad coach.

Perhaps, as you imply, a good hope for the matches ahead is that, a la the French team at RWC 2011, the Reds might decide to start coaching themselves, yielding immediately superior results.

As part of this process, a small delegation of players would be despatched to lock RG in his hotel room, or place an extra dose of sleeping pills into his night-before cup of hot chocolate, or suitably decisive equivalents.

T

Train Without a Station

Hopefully it's Qurik. Him and Schatz are too similar and we really only need one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.