• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
How have other QRU teams gone while RG has had the keys to Qld Rugby as Head Coach?
  • Brisbane City did OK in the NRC.
  • NSW won both male and female National 7's for both Opens and Under 18's this year.
  • In Open Schoolboys it has been NSW I vs NSW II in the Gold Medal playoff match for the last 2 years.
  • No U16 Nationals last year, but IIRC Qld Reds won in 2013 and 2012.
  • Fairly confident that no Qld teams were in the Junior Gold Cup Finals.
  • Eastwood beat Queensland Uni in the Premier Club Bragging Rights Game this year.
  • Qld U20 failed to make the finals of inaugural national U20s last year, and were soundly thrashed by NSW this year, barely scraping past the Australian Barbarians.
  • NSW finally win a mungoball SOO series.
Is this all RG's fault, or does it indicate an overall malaise in Qld rugby at the moment with the rot setting in from the top from the QRU board?

That's an excellent question HJ. I'd had intuitions of this, but never had time to do the full analysis of such recent trends.

What can be said is this: if a governing body fails in one of its most critical, primary jobs - namely to get the core coaching and S&C staff right for their most elite team that they charge people serious $s to see - then it's highly likely over time that that institutional failure and what's made it so will duly and negatively impact all aspects of that body's responsibilities.

Of the truth of the above Principle of Increasing Repetitive Ineptitude there can be no better example than that of the ARU under JO'N in the 2007-2012 period.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ I should have added above that it is not as if the established players, and those on the "Pathway to Gold", from Queensland have been sub-standard. There have been some very talented athletes "in the system".

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
"Their belief is that Graham’s modest seven from 24 record in Perth should not be held against him as all Force coaches have struggled and that he also deserves to be cut some slack this season because the Reds have been decimated by injury."

That part actually sounds like it was written by Richard Graham.

Or Mrs Graham.

Seriously, the bloke now has a 28% w-l record over two S14/15 teams (one of whom unarguably possesses a top-drawer playing roster) over 3 seasons, and an at best mediocre coaching history prior to all that, and the QRU are still making multiple excuses and get-outs for him.

It's beyond incredible and into a wholly new class of delusional thinking. And/or they inwardly consider their paying customers are just docile mugs that can be conned by contrived media leaks and slick PR strategies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Knuckle 45/75 60% Sacked
Jeff Miller 12/35 34% sacked
Andrew Slack 5/11 45% sacked
Eddie Jones 2/13 15% Sacked
Phil Mooney 6/26 23% sacked
Ewen McKenzie 32/45 71%
Richard Graham 7/26 26%

interesting stats.

Here is a question that QRU management should ask themselves.

CAN RICHARD GRAHAM EVER WIN A SUPER RUGBY TITLE?

If the answer is no then it's time to move on!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
All I can take from that list is

kqxow.jpg

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think plenty of people will be calling for the entire QRU Board to go as well if RG is reappointed.

Suncorp used to be the Reds Fortress - almost unbeatable at home. Whereas now "26,374 watched them lose to the Hurricanes on Sunday, their ninth defeat in their past 11 home matches".

Could be 12 defeats from 14 by season's end the way things are going. Should beat the Rebels at home but should have beaten them away too......

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^ I would hope you mean:

THE NUMBER OF SUCCESSFUL REDS COACHES IS TOO DAMN LOW

In all seriousness, Sully's list was arresting.

For the good health of QLD rugby there were way too many poorly chosen coaches and/or coaching instability issues between Knuckles and Link. RG has re-ignited the trend. Let's hope it won't take 8-10 years to reverse again.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What you all getting worked up about? It is obvious from the stats that the 2010-2013 seasons were an anomaly, outliers, not the norm etc. Reds are just reverting back to the long term trend. Nothing to do but sit down, buckle up and enjoy the roller coaster to the bottom. See you all at the next home game.

;)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Reds fans started streaming out of the stands with just over 10 mins left to play on Sunday which I thought was bloody poor form from them but also a statement of how little faith they had in the current set up.

The train going north leaves literally 5 minutes after fulltime. A lot of people leave with a couple of minutes to make sure they get the train. I spose when we are getting trashed, it is even more of an incentive to get the early train rather than wait 45-60 mins for the next one.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I gave Graham a clean slate for this season, but the team fielded most weeks is littered with Wallabies. The forwards have been relatively untouched by injury yet are not dominating like they should. Other teams (i think Stormers is one) have similar injury issues and the Lions and Rebels would only dream of the numbers of test capped players the Reds have.

Can't accept the injury excuse this time.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having endured the thrashings from Queensland at Ballymore, and the odd game in Sydney, during my penance in Brisbane from 1976 to 1982 I think you're being overly pessimistic, #4918. The rise of Queensland rugby from the mid-70s was the most important factor in Australia's victory in two RWCs, wins over the ABs in 1979, 1980, 1986 and 1992, the BILs and a reversal of the long term losing trend against the Boks. The ABs currently are somewhat of a different matter, but we're no Robinson Crusoe there.

IT IS ESSENTIAL FOR THE HEALTH OF AUSTRALIAN RUGBY THERE'S A STRONG REDS TEAM.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
IT IS ESSENTIAL FOR THE HEALTH OF AUSTRALIAN RUGBY THERE'S A STRONG REDS TEAM.

There is a strong contingent of Queensland rugby players, unfortunately that strength does not result in a strong Reds team.

I agree with the general tenor of opinion. Sooner or later the custodians of Queensland Rugby need to have a good look at themselves, and their performance.

Something is rotten in the state of Sunshine.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I would also suggest that some of the coaches on that list were FAR too close to the board/chairman. The governance at the top of Reds (and ARU for that matter) often results in poor decision making that is directly reflected in on-field results.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If Graham is re-appointed as coach for next year. I will not be a member nor will my 4 kids and my wife. When is a journo going to start putting more pressure on this goose of a coach. There was tons of pressure on him before the bye and they even said he was almost too nice to trash talk. FFS he is a professional coach of a team littered with Test quality players, who can't stand him. I don't think there would be another institution in professional sport that would allow this situation to continue for the season let alone torture their fans and players for another one. :mad::mad:

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
And I am afraid that after attending all games this year in the hope of revival, that I too will not be renewing membership. I have stuck it out as a devout Reds fan but I can't stand the head in the sand approach. Some of the excuses (do they employ someone) are annoying me, no accountability. More interested in marketing than results!Recruitment results have been underwhelming and yet no-one has accepted responsibility. To think we will have RG again! Oh the pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.