• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sure Premier grade but JJ was good in Premier grade which goes to show there is a huge difference between the two. Brando I thought was one of those players that could never make it in Super Rugby but was a star in Premier grade.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Now that Toua, Shipperley and Davies have left the Reds lack a genuine speedster.

You could classify Turner as one but does he still have the same turn of pace after all his injuries?

It seems we have gone from being all finesse and pace this season to all power and grunt next season.

Where is the balance?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well we don't know the balance without seeing a team/squad. I'm guessing when we do hear it, it won't be complete. I suspect we are no where near finished contracting players although I have now heard the Chris Kurindrani is now staying in QLD after the Reds upped his offer big time.

As for Brando, and like Jets I am not supporting his selection here, I think you remember him unfavorably Floggin. I don't remember him as a superstar by any means, but he was pretty rock solid. Certainly more so than the likes of Veratau, Nathan Williams etc.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sure, he was better than Veratau, but that's not saying much. Va'aulu was a bit of a journeyman quality player I thought.

Veratau was just pedestrian and looked great on the end of a star studded Brumbies backline where he just had to fall over the line, then at the Reds we found out the limitation of his abilities, sadly.

Nathan Williams was different, kind of the enigmatic style of player. Could be a star at club level, but never showed anything he was capable of during Super rugby - apart from missing easy tackles, of course.

Va'aulu definitely wasn't the worst player for the Reds during that period, but I think he's one of serveral that I think wouldn't have gotten starts at another province at the time. I certainly hope there's better options now.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
We should take players form from those dark days with a grain of salt, as no one was playing consistent and good football.

You only need to look at the heights a majority of the young brigade from those years have now reached to realise that it was just as much a culture and timing problem at the reds as an issue with lack of talent.

The reds would love to have some of those players back now....Luafutu & Houston just to name a few?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
didn't Leroy come back a few years ago? Yet another one of those players who never reached the heights that their potential indicated they could attain - pity as we could really use another bruising number 8 and he would have been hitting his peak years about now.

T

Train Without a Station

Leroy was still there in 2010. He improved from 2009 but was still inconsistent.

I think Luafutu is in the same boat as Ezra Taylor. Great club rugby player, good ITM Cup player, but failed to really show any great potential at Super Rugby level.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
But that's my point you judging them on there time playing during 2008-2010 period.

But what you may find interesting now is that Leeroy was named Bath player of the year last season in the Aviva Premiership, whilst Luafutu was nominated for Pro D2 player of the year in France with Brive.

Before defecting to Bordeaux where he is now a key player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many games did those to play though?

Luafutu played 1 maybe, and Houston might of benched for a couple?

in 2010? Luafutu played one off the bench (scoring 2 tries in that cracking last game v the Highlanders).

Leroy started in 9 and came off the bench in 3.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Now that Toua, Shipperley and Davies have left the Reds lack a genuine speedster.

You could classify Turner as one but does he still have the same turn of pace after all his injuries?

It seems we have gone from being all finesse and pace this season to all power and grunt next season.

Where is the balance?

Any thoughts on the suitability of John Grant (plays for Eastwood in Shute Shield) on the wing? Very quick (as quick as Turner at his best), about 105 - 110 kg, and a real try scorer.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Turner got burned pretty easily by the Rebels 10 down in Melbourne.

I dont think he has anywhere near the pace he once had.
In his defence and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Lachie was down getting treatment and had to jump up and chase Hegarty which isn't really a fair fight when it comes to a foot race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any thoughts on the suitability of John Grant (plays for Eastwood in Shute Shield) on the wing? Very quick (as quick as Turner at his best), about 105 - 110 kg, and a real try scorer.
He'll be playing for NSW Country in the NRC so people should be able to get a bit of a look at him.

Northam and Jones would be the other two wingers of interest in the Shute Shield I'd think.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Northam didn't even get a gig with the Rays, so I will be interested to see if he is a late Rays inclusion or shows up with another team. Jones is not super rugby ready in 2015 and will need to develop the defensive side of his game. He has not locked down a starting first grade spot at the Rats yet. Dargaville from Uni would also be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.