• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think he looks like a player who would thrive in a pro environment. However my familiarity with him is limited to watching shute shield games and highlights via the ABC this year.

Sometimes you see players who are already fast and strong from having worked extremely hard in the off-season on their own conditioning and weights regime and seem to be at the limit of their physical potential. Then you get guys who have never touched a set of weights in their life but seem to be as strong and as fit as any of the gym junkies, and when they eventually touch a weight they reach levels that make your jaw drop. I am not sure what category Bergelin is, but currently he seems to be operating on a level that opponents can't match. I would be interested to see what being near a professional program would do for him.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Any thoughts on the suitability of John Grant (plays for Eastwood in Shute Shield) on the wing? Very quick (as quick as Turner at his best), about 105 - 110 kg, and a real try scorer.
He was about to sign with the force when foley first came west but did his knee and missed out always liked the look of him when he was with the 7s.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Northam didn't even get a gig with the Rays, so I will be interested to see if he is a late Rays inclusion or shows up with another team. Jones is not super rugby ready in 2015 and will need to develop the defensive side of his game. He has not locked down a starting first grade spot at the Rats yet. Dargaville from Uni would also be worth a look.

I would agree with all that.

A big part of it is about potential though. There are never going to be a glut of young players in the Shute Shield who are immediately ready to do well in Super Rugby.

There are going to be some that can go from showing that promise in Shute Shield to being a starter in Super Rugby after just one off season though such as Alofa Alofa.

If you're after a player to fill a gap next week you probably recruit a journeyman who has been there before.

If you want someone who might become a star, a significant part of your recruitment has to be based on their perceived potential.

Going from training a few nights a week to a full off season as a professional has been shown many times to greatly improve players in a short space of time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with your points too. Alofa Alofa had probably also benefited from his time with the Roosters (IIRC).

I'd say his time at the Roosters would have had an impact, but I really didn't think he was an outrageous standout in the Shute Shield last year.

He was good and scored plenty of tries but his off season with the Waratahs brought his game along in leaps and bounds.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
IMHO John Grant isn't super rugby standard. Has all the physical attributes to get there (size, strength, speed) but doesn't seem to use them to proper effect in SS. Papworth creams his jeans over him but I've yet to see him beat an opponent one on one or score a try that no other winger in the comp could. However, he did score one screamer of a try by taking a kick-off and running away before the opposition could react (the other team's forwards failed to take the kick-off and he was johnny-on-the-spot so no steal involved). He doesn't seem to do a lot of work on the field as well.

As others have said Dargaville, Northam and Jones would be the players to have a look at with a possible smoky in Brown the Penrith winger.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IMHO John Grant isn't super rugby standard. Has all the physical attributes to get there (size, strength, speed) but doesn't seem to use them to proper effect in SS. Papworth creams his jeans over him but I've yet to see him beat an opponent one on one or score a try that no other winger in the comp could. However, he did score one screamer of a try by taking a kick-off and running away before the opposition could react (the other team's forwards failed to take the kick-off and he was johnny-on-the-spot so no steal involved). He doesn't seem to do a lot of work on the field as well.

As others have said Dargaville, Northam and Jones would be the players to have a look at with a possible smoky in Brown the Penrith winger.

I tyhink the point is that there are quite a few near Super level wingers getting around each week in the SS that could fill a hole at the Reds if they are prepared to look beyond their own domestic comp. Nick Batger could be another.

frenchman

Bob McCowan (2)
Bonjour, new to this thread but going back on some previous comments, I think if the reds wanted a big international 8 with marketing value Opeti Fonua would be a good option he is a monster in france with Bayonne. Has anyone seen him destroy masoe, wilkinson and everyone else in the top14. Luafutu also goes well over there he had last season with Bordeaux but is now back at Brive who have a great pack. Also what happened to Jordan Tuapou he used to be a gun for memory played 8 for schoolboys a few years back and had some time in 7s?

In regards to shute shield wingers i dont think any are super rugby ready surely there are some qld cup wingers or fringe NRL players with union background with a taste of pro rugby that you could get cheap that would be more hardened and have more x factor. Bit like Alofa Alofa

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bonjour, monsieur. Welcome. Do you have names of "some Qld cup wingers or fringe NRL players with union background with a taste of pro rugby"?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
assuming by QLD Cup he means QLD Premier Grade, then Veresa Maitaitini from Norths is the obvious one.

Has X Factor up the wazoo and is lightning quick. A innate tryscorer which is a wonderful quality. Whether he's super rugby quality Im not sure, but he's had his first year in the pro rugby environment this year and I'd like to see more of him next year.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Here's an interesting one the kid who kept Alofa Alofa out at the Roosters joined Northern Suburbs in Sydney mid-way this season. Another Fijian flyer/finisher Paul Rokolati.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, let's look at this and try to break down the squad. Any corrections, please let me know:

Confirmed signings (11):

Ben Daley (Signed to 2016)
Curtis Browning (Signed to 2015)
Will Genia (Signed to 2015)
Liam Gill (Signed to 2015)
James Hanson (Signed to 2015)
James Horwill (Signed to 2015)
Dave McDuling (Signed to 2015)
Beau Robinson (Signed to 2015)
James Slipper (Signed to 2015)
Rob Simmons (Signed to 2015)
JJ Tualagi (Signed to 2015)

Unsigned are (12):

Quade Cooper - must keep
Saia Fainga'a - probably need to keep (lack of quality hookers around)
Anthony Fainga'a - probably need to keep (to keep brother here)
Nick Frisby - would like to keep
Greg Holmes - probably need to keep (lack of quality props around)
Ben Lucas - would like to keep
Ed O'Donaghue - expendable - possibly replaced by Brad Thorn?
Ed Quirk - potential/rumored loss - or Shatz possibly replaced by Hayden Smith?
Jake Schatz - potential/rumored loss - or Quirk possibly replaced by Hayden Smith?
Ben Tapuai - must keep

Lachie Turner - A like to keep, as much for his professionalism and cultural benefits.
Chris Feauai-Sautia - Must Keep

Gone are (6):

Mike Harris - likely replaced by Samu Kerevi
Rod Davies - likely replaced by Chris Kuridrani
Aidan Toua - possibly replaced by Karmichael Hunt
Dom Shipperley - likely replaced by James O'Connor
Albert Anae - ?? - ??? Is it going to be Andrew Ready ???
Jono Owen - ?? - ??? Probably Pettowa Paraka ??? What's Jeremy Tilse's contract situation?

Vacant spot (1):
tba - ??? What's the best use of this spot?

Further Breakdown (Black = signed; Blue = to be re-signed; Red = new recruit):

Fullback: JJ Tualagi; Karmichael Hunt
Wing: Lachie Turner; Chris Kuridrani; James O'Connor
Centres: Anthony Fainga'a, Ben Tapuai, Chris Feauai-Sautia; Samu Kerevi
Flyhalf: Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas
Scrumhalf: Will Genia, Nick Frisby
8 Man: Curtis Browning
Openside: Liam Gill, Beau Robinson
Blindside: Schatz or Quirk; Hayden Smith
Lock: James Horwill, Dave McDuling, Rob Simmons, Brad Thorn
THP: Greg Holmes; Pettowa Paraka
Hooker: James Hanson, Saia Fainga'a; Andrew Ready
LHP: Ben Daley, James Slipper

Still have one more spot there which I reckon should be a backrower. We could always keep both of Quirk or Schatz I guess.

Wouldn't mind some experience to come in rather than Paraka and Ready.

Thoughts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
why do you say that? Cause he has a boat down there? We have a nice river up here. And a potential starting spot.

It sounds like he's comfortable with his place in the team and has many other interests. It's just a gut feel but I kind of think that if he was desperate to further his rugby career in every way possible he'd have left already.

Status
Not open for further replies.