• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The RFU took notice, they've poached Tom Tombleson who runs the S&C with Haydn Masters. He'll be with the England Test side at the WC next year. :( Although I think he's originally a Pom.

From memory Tombleson arrived in 2009/2010 from England as S&C coach for the Tahs. He also played for Randwick in the Shute shield. :) Must be a great bloke.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fucked if I know why but I'm starting to feel more optimistic about 2015.

Obviously hoping that big Jim, Slaughter and mob have their shit together as well as RG and an improved culture and player ownership at Ballymore will turn our shitty 2014 into something special in 2015

That's my positive post for the day

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fucked if I know why but I'm starting to feel more optimistic about 2015.

Obviously hoping that big Jim, Slaughter and mob have their shit together as well as RG and an improved culture and player ownership at Ballymore will turn our shitty 2014 into something special in 2015

That's my positive post for the day
I'd like to think so too. BUT the RG is the core problem, the playing group don't get his coaching or lack of. Until that is either repaired or just solved then their will I fear be much change in results next year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm holding out until after the NRC. In 2007 when the ARC was on we had the 2 bottom teams in the comp and it set the tone for the following season at the Reds. We need to have teams playing well and players putting up their hands to play at the next level for any change to occur.

I'm also keen to see how the 2 Reds assistant coaches go in charge. Need to have a bit of pressure on RG from within.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Am pretty sure RG will have plenty of pressure from within and particularly and more importantly from above if performances are not far superior to 2014

T

Tip

Optimistic!? I'll give you optimistic.

In 2014 we lost to the Rebels, Brumbies, Force & Lions each by 3 points respectively.

In 2015 we'll convert those losses to Wins and kapiche, we're sitting on 40 points and a Top 8 position on the ladder.

Plus, with 3 of those losses coming in the first half of the season (effectively ruling it over), we then had the Hurricanes, Blues & Crusaders back to back and we were smashed by 14, 30 & 28 points respectively. With QUADEE back to his best in 2015 (and available to play unlike this year) I expect these results to be reversed.

2015 is the year that:
Quade hits career best form
Farah Sookface Genia hits career best form
Fortress Suncorp is reinstated

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

In 2014 we lost to the Rebels, Brumbies, Force & Lions each by 3 points respectively.

In 2015 we'll convert those losses to Wins and kapiche, we're sitting on 40 points and a Top 8 position on the ladder.

Plus, with 3 of those losses coming in the first half of the season (effectively ruling it over), we then had the Hurricanes, Blues & Crusaders back to back and we were smashed by 14, 30 & 28 points respectively. With QUADEE back to his best in 2015 (and available to play unlike this year) I expect these results to be reversed.

2015 is the year that:

Tip,
I am further buoyed by your optimistic post.

However I am a little concerned as to the reality in your penultimate sentence but.........

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

2015 is the year that:

You going to send the Red's to the opposition dug out for there half time pep talk, couldn't do any worse.

But in all seriousness, you should have a top shelf team next year, and guys like Browning, Sevari*spelling will be better for it.

I know as a Brumbies fan that the Reds will never be a gimme game. RG might surprise some people, Foley did..

Reactions: Tip
T

TOCC

Foley had a 25% win ratio after his first two seasons in charge of the Tahs and Force respectively, Graham has had a 30% win ratio after his first two seasons in charge of the Force and Reds...

Foley took the Tahs from a finalist team in 2011 to 4 wins the following year, Graham took the Reds from a finalists team in 2013 to just 5 wins in the following year.

Ewen McKenzies first year in charge of the Tahs had them win only 5 games, he was sacked mid-season from Stade Francais in 2010, Michael Cheika as well coached Stade Francais and had them sitting 11th on the ladder in 2011 and was let go the following year.

Coaches like players take time to develop, the measure of a coaches success is the ability to evolve and learn off past mistakes, 2015 is the litmus test for Richard Graham he needs to show massive improvement or kiss his coaching career in Australia goodbye.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Foley had a 25% win ratio after his first two seasons in charge of the Tahs and Force respectively, Graham has had a 30% win ratio after his first two seasons in charge of the Force and Reds.

Foley took the Tahs from a finalist team in 2011 to 4 wins the following year, Graham took the Reds from a finalists team in 2013 to just 5 wins in the following year.

Ewen McKenzies first year in charge of the Tahs had them win only 5 games, he was sacked mid-season from Stade Francais in 2010, Michael Cheika as well coached Stade Francais and had them sitting 11th on the ladder in 2011 and was let go the following year.

Coaches like players take time to develop, the measure of a coaches success is the ability to evolve and learn off past mistakes, 2015 is the litmus test for Richard Graham he needs to show massive improvement or kiss his coaching career in Australia goodbye.
All of those you have mentioned may not have gained success immediately, however in all of their cases it has been quite apparent what style of play (or structure might be a better word) they have been trying to get their teams to play.

I am not sure I can discern what the hell the reds were trying to do this year. There has been no structure and no clear development in any direction. The difference between the Force under Graham and the Reds under Graham is that the Reds had a few players that were individually better which meant a couple more games were closer during the season than perhaps the Force had.

It has also been apparent (even through the televeision screen) in all their cases that they are incredibly strong willed individuals.

RG is clearly not. He is not a leader. He is a follower and no one can change that.

I am sorry, but I am still not seeing the optimism that you guys are.

Think hard about how many times this season you guys saw the Reds in the opposition 22 and you just KNEW that the Reds were unable to convert the territory into a try unless someone on the other team was sent off. Other teams get over 10 phases in possesion and you know they will convert the pressure into points. The Reds do the same this year, and you know that they are just one or two phases closer to knocking the ball on.

Try to picture the tries we scored from medium to long range this year - there arent many. I have never seen a team struggle to score tries in either code of rugby as hard as the Reds have.

Negative, Negative negative, negative.

Doom, gloom, gloom, doom.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ahhhh jeez.. I really thought I had found a decent photo for my account.. Then JJ had to go and be so god damn awful. I feel like just by having his photo associated with my name I'm going to miss so many valuable points.

What would be impressive if I stuck by him and he turned out wonderful, doubt it!

T

TOCC

I have never seen a team struggle to score tries in either code of rugby as hard as the Reds have.

There are 8 other teams in this years Super Rugb who scored less tries then the Reds..

There were plenty of areas the Reds fell over in, tries scored ranks well down on the list behind defence, S&C and basic handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.