• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You were????

Geebus, I have zero comprehension skills atm obviously.

I am going to just drop it.

T

TOCC

I do think their inability to score tries is a major flaw. The statistics do not take into account their inability to score tries against a 15 man defence.

How many of the Reds tries were scored against teams minus a player?
How many of the tries scored by other teams were when the opposition were down a player?

I think the Reds defence was an embarrassment, i think the Reds physicality and S&C was poor, i think the basic passing and catching of our backs was barely club level standard.. I think the number of tries scored is a secondary issue that will only improve once the other issue are fixed.. Even then, scoring the 6th most tries in this years competition is a comparatively positive subject given the failures in other ares of the team.

T

TOCC

And a try is a try. Who fucking cares about yellow cards. It probably means they did something illegal to stop a try.
To be in the top half of the field for tries scored means there are other bigger problems. And I'd suggest the 500+ points we leaked would be #1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tries where a player does a dance-floor move or backflip are also worth more

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
How many of the Reds tries were scored against teams minus a player?
How many of the tries scored by other teams were when the opposition were down a player?

I think the Reds defence was an embarrassment, i think the Reds physicality and S&C was poor, i think the basic passing and catching of our backs was barely club level standard.. I think the number of tries scored is a secondary issue that will only improve once the other issue are fixed.. Even then, scoring the 6th most tries in this years competition is a comparatively positive subject given the failures in other ares of the team.

I am not ignoring other issues. I have highlighted and stated them often.

What structure do you think RG brings to the reds that gives you hope and optimism the way that the other coaches you have listed did?

<snip>I am going to just drop it.

You are just being a dick now.

You are deliberately ignoring everything elese I have said in multiple posts and zeroing in on one point (even though we clearly do not agree on that point) only in order to be an internet hero.

Congratulations.

I award you 500 internets for your conclusive victory.

I for one am just leaving it alone now: by all means continue being a ****.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm not going to belabour the issue, but this year there were just some absolutely shocking teams on attack.

Sharks: 29 tries
Bulls: 28 tries
Stormers: 30 tries
Lions: 31 tries
Rebels: 29 tries

The Brumbies, playing a style of semi-Jakeball, scored 49 tries.

On the face of it, 42 tries isn't bad. Dig a bit deeper, and it's not so good. The Rebels game helped the Reds, where we scored 6 tries, and 5 tries vs the Cheetahs, and 4 tries in a flogging by the Crusaders. The best performance was another 5 tries vs the Clan. That's 20 tries for 4 games. In some of the games, we seemed to be only able to score vs 14 men.

We were 9th overall on points scored.

I think our game plan is the issue as much as our attack. We need to fix our game plan - or seemingly lack of one. Our attack wasn't structured, we kicked too much, often when it seemed we had ascendancy and off most turnovers, we played too much field position.

What killed me quite often is at the end of some of the close games we kicked every ball away, even when we chased the game (Highlanders game aside on the last plays).

I think that RG likes a conservative game plan and approach first and foremost, and the team isn't suited to it, hence his desire to reshape the team. RG's preference seems to be a Jakeball like style of play, which I am not a fan of. I hope we see something different next year.

Definitely the two biggest issues are defence and conditioning, but overall gameplan is not far behind those two at all, and that includes how we attack. Coming behind that is accuracy at the ruck.

I still feel that lack of a big powerful flanker has been raised as a scapegoat for some of the wider issues, particularly for the lack of a coherent game plan.

T

TOCC

You are just being a dick now.

You are deliberately ignoring everything elese I have said in multiple posts and zeroing in on one point (even though we clearly do not agree on that point) only in order to be an internet hero.

Congratulations.

I award you 500 internets for your conclusive victory.

I for one am just leaving it alone now: by all means continue being a ****.

Gel you are being passive aggressive by asking me loaded questions on topic i haven't directly commented on so naturally I'm not going to reply, Im not going to get dragged into a conversation about 'game plans' when i can already foresee a future where their is no amicable conclusion to that subject given the strong opinions on this forum.

Furthermore I already spoke on the very subject in my initial post which you quoted, il post it for you again:

Coaches like players take time to develop, the measure of a coaches success is the ability to evolve and learn off past mistakes, 2015 is the litmus test for Richard Graham he needs to show massive improvement or kiss his coaching career in Australia goodbye.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
As jack Gibson once said:
To win a game you just need to score more points than the other team.

Whether you score truckloads of tries or none you must have defence to limit the other team scoring more points than you.

Simple really - have a great day guys !!!!!

T

Train Without a Station

I think that RG likes a conservative game plan and approach first and foremost, and the team isn't suited to it, hence his desire to reshape the team. RG's preference seems to be a Jakeball like style of play, which I am not a fan of. I hope we see something different next year.

And that right there is one thing I am extremely critical of any coach it applies to and why I am now critical of Graham.

If you have to recruit the exact team you need to apply a certain fixed game plan then you are a bad coach. The teams playing style and tactics should suit and be limited by the team, not by the coach.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
THE Reds have ditched their “Made In Queensland” tunnel-vision on recruiting to trial burly 116kg Sydney University prop Sam Talakai as a possible signing for next season.

Lachie Turner = Made in Queensland?
If Talakai is signed to the Reds, he won't be the first from outside Queensland to be signed for the Reds and most likely won't be the last.

Good pick up.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
So are likely squad so far is

Props: Daley, Slipper, Holmes, since they were both named on the bench this year i presume Paraka and Faagase. and maybe 1 other prop?

Hookers: Hanson, Fainga'a, Ready

Locks: Simmo, Big Kev, Mcduling, Enever, O'Donoghue

Backrow: Quirk?, Browning, Gill, Robinson, Gunn?, Schatz

Halfback: Genia, Frisby, Gale

Flyhalf: Cooper, Lucas, Mcintyre or Greene?

Centres: Tapuai, kerevi, Ant Fainga'a, Sam Johnson

Wing: Chris F'Sautia, Kuridrani, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor) likely,

Fulllback: Karmichael Hunt, JJ

Did i Miss anyone?

For Mine the Starting 23 would be if they are back in form

1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. F'Sautia
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Hunt

16. Fainga'a
17. Paraka
18. Daley
19. Mcduling
20. Browning
21. Lucas
22. Fainga'a
23. Turner

I think tapuai and Kerevi could end up forming a fantastic Centre Combo

T

Train Without a Station

Such a stupid comment. Where possible the Reds have recruited from within our own state. They have made astute pick ups outside the state with players like Adam Wallace-Harrison, Beau Robinson, Radike Samo, Lachie Turner, Saia & Anthony Fainga'a, Mike Harris and a number of other players who have come at the right price and they considered promising in some way.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Lachie Turner = Made in Queensland?
If Talakai is signed to the Reds, he won't be the first from outside Queensland to be signed for the Reds and most likely won't be the last.

Good pick up.

Mcduling, Faingaas, and Beau Robinson all New south Welshmen i believe

it works both ways though the Tahs have always had queenslanders like Mitchell and Barnes and currently Mckibbin i think, Lance and Folau.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So are likely squad so far is

Props: Daley, Slipper, Holmes, since they were both named on the bench this year i presume Paraka and Faagase. and maybe 1 other prop?

Hookers: Hanson, Fainga'a, Ready

Locks: Simmo, Big Kev, Mcduling, Enever, O'Donoghue

Backrow: Quirk?, Browning, Gill, Robinson, Gunn?, Schatz

Halfback: Genia, Frisby, Gale

Flyhalf: Cooper, Lucas, Mcintyre or Greene?

Centres: Tapuai, kerevi, Ant Fainga'a, Sam Johnson

Wing: Chris F'Sautia, Kuridrani, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor) likely,

Fulllback: Karmichael Hunt, JJ

Did i Miss anyone?

For Mine the Starting 23 would be if they are back in form

1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. F'Sautia
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Hunt

16. Fainga'a
17. Paraka
18. Daley
19. Mcduling
20. Browning
21. Lucas
22. Fainga'a
23. Turner

I think tapuai and Kerevi could end up forming a fantastic Centre Combo
You would have to be brave or stupid to play JJ as your fullback if you miss out on Hunt. Specially if you have JOC (James O'Connor) in your team. At Test level his a winger, Super Level his got too much talent. He'd get fullback. People forget how good he can be when his heads screwed on..

Status
Not open for further replies.