• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
You would have to be brave or stupid to play JJ as your fullback if you miss out on Hunt. Specially if you have JOC (James O'Connor) in your team. At Test level his a winger, Super Level his got too much talent. He'd get fullback. People forget how good he can be when his heads screwed on..

I agree, JJs defence and decision making at times is far too poor to play fullback but i think thats the position hes listed as at the reds. there are so many possible scenarios for our backline with the speculated inclusion of JOC (James O'Connor) and K hunt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So are likely squad so far is

Props: Daley, Slipper, Holmes, since they were both named on the bench this year i presume Paraka and Faagase. and maybe 1 other prop?

Hookers: Hanson, Fainga'a, Ready

Locks: Simmo, Big Kev, Mcduling, Enever, O'Donoghue

Backrow: Quirk?, Browning, Gill, Robinson, Gunn?, Schatz

Halfback: Genia, Frisby, Gale

Flyhalf: Cooper, Lucas, Mcintyre or Greene?

Centres: Tapuai, kerevi, Ant Fainga'a, Sam Johnson

Wing: Chris F'Sautia, Kuridrani, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor) likely,

Fulllback: Karmichael Hunt, JJ

Did i Miss anyone?

plenty of skuttlebut around about the squad.

As above Sam Talakai is a damn good chance of a contract given we've brought him up here for for the NRC. Hopefully he ends up more Laure Weeks or Rodney Blake than Pete Nuimata or Jono Owen.

Also, I reckon you can remove Sam Greene from the equation given he isn't playing NRC.

Still plenty of rumours going around about the likes of Quirk, Schatz, Frisby, Lucas.

Can we fit in 3 opensides in Gunn and Robinson and Gill despite Gunn's class? We need big boppers. I'd probably have big Lolo from Sunnybank ahead of Gunn.

Not sure we need Ed Od again either.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
plenty of skuttlebut around about the squad.

As above Sam Talakai is a damn good chance of a contract given we've brought him up here for for the NRC. Hopefully he ends up more Laure Weeks or Rodney Blake than Pete Nuimata or Jono Owen.

Also, I reckon you can remove Sam Greene from the equation given he isn't playing NRC.

Still plenty of rumours going around about the likes of Quirk, Schatz, Frisby, Lucas.

Can we fit in 3 opensides in Gunn and Robinson and Gill despite Gunn's class? We need big boppers. I'd probably have big Lolo from Sunnybank ahead of Gunn.

Not sure we need Ed Od again either.

Ok so rule out greene. Damn the only player i heard that there was rumours about was quirky, i hope your wrong and we dont potentially lose those players. you may be right about the 3 opensides but we will see how gunn performs in the NRC before ruling him out since hes been with the reds this year i think hes a chance. Im not too fussed on O'Donoghue either but who would come into the squad to replace him?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mcduling, Faingaas, and Beau Robinson all New south Welshmen i believe

it works both ways though the Tahs have always had queenslanders like Mitchell and Barnes and currently Mckibbin i think, Lance and Folau.

If we want to get technical, McKibbin is Scottish, Lance is from Canberra and Folau is certainly from Sydney.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The Reds need to move on from Ed O'd simply because he is our "marquee" player. A big ball running backrower is needed in this squad. We almost certainly need to go abroad to find one.

While we all bring that QLD mentality and players adopt it too we have to remember QLD used to be pioneering in terms of international recruitment. Peter Clohessy and Andre Vos in the 90s, the latter went on to be a Springbok captain.

I know Hayden Smiths name has been thrown around, but there would be other options from the tier 2 ranks inc Canada. Though these options are probably more likely post RWC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The point remains that there is no such thing as a "Made in Queensland" Tunnel Vision recruiting policy. Never has been, never will be.

It was a very silly statement made by a newspaper writer looking for a headline.

Like all the Franchises, the Reds will recruit who they believe will give them the best bang for their buck.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
If we want to get technical, McKibbin is Scottish, Lance is from Canberra and Folau is certainly from Sydney.

And Moore is from Saudi Arabia? where you where born has less to do with what state you identify yourself with then where your were raised.
Folau identifies himself as a queenslander, Mckibbins been in queensland since he was 3 so hes definitely a queenslander. I wasnt having a go at the waratahs, i was making a point that its not a big deal that different players play for other states.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I think it is time to bring in Enever and McDuling into regular game time next year. Also look at Jack Payne (Brothers) involved in the squad.

Ed O has been solid previously, but I thought this year he offered nothing.

Thats why i put Mcduling in on the bench instead of O'Donoghue

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And Moore is from Saudi Arabia? where you where born has less to do with what state you identify yourself with then where your were raised.
Folau identifies himself as a queenslander, Mckibbins been in queensland since he was 3 so hes definitely a queenslander. I wasnt having a go at the waratahs, i was making a point that its not a big deal that different players play for other states.

I think Folau identifies with the Qld State of Origin rugby league team, not with being a Queenslander.

He's made numerous comments this year about enjoying playing for his home state.

I guess it all shows that the lines are blurred and players identify with a number of things in different ways.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having never played for Ireland, Is Ed O'D close to becoming an Aussie in terms of not being a marquee player?

Or does he need to play another full season of Super Rugby before that is the case?

Did Speight count as a marquee player this year for the Brumbies?

T

Train Without a Station

I think EOD played for Ireland A and therefore would never qualify.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
EOD has been cleared by ARU and IRB to be classified as a local - he is no longer considered a foreign player - plus that squad mentioned before had more then 32 people in it i think...

EOD has been cleared by ARU and IRB to be classified as a local - he is no longer considered a foreign player - plus that squad mentioned before had more then 32 people in it i think...

Well i know hes irish but he did go to Marist at Rosalie, i think the squad was 30 people and there was plenty of speculation in that squad as well.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Having never played for Ireland, Is Ed O'D close to becoming an Aussie in terms of not being a marquee player?

Or does he need to play another full season of Super Rugby before that is the case?

Woops theres 36, but like i said its all speculation and some of those players like macintyre and gunn and possibly Enever and Johnson would only be in the EPS if that is still a thing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

If we want to get really technical, either Folau is from Minto and McKibbin is from Scotland, or Folau is from Sydney and McKibbin is from Brisbane. McKibbin did move there when he was 3.

Depends if you call Moore from Saudi Arabia or from Brisbane, or Pocock from Zimbabwe or Brisbane. Or where you think guys like Alofa Alofa, etc are from.

Such a Grey area - as in Nathan Grey, is he from Gosford, PNG or Brisbane?

edit: beaten by Peter Toohey.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

While it seems EOD has been cleared, playing for an 'A' team makes you ineligible to play for another country.

Speight would count as that second kind of marquee, where you can play providing you aren't capped and thus can qualify after fulfilling residency.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wasn't aware that EOD had played for Ireland A. I was thinking he was uncapped but wasn't an Aussie so therefore counted as a marquee when he first returned here.

Speight was a marquee player because he wasn't Wallaby eligible at the start. My understanding is that after a couple of seasons because he was going to become eligible, he then became a regular player.

Personally I think it makes sense to not consider EOD a foreign marquee player because it does nothing for Australian rugby. Even if he can't play for the Wallabies, let the Reds sign him and a proper foreign marquee player if they want to.

T

Train Without a Station

I disagree. The system was put in place likely with cases exactly like this one in mind. Essentially EOD is taking the place of a potential up and coming player. It's really short sighted from the Reds to keep an aging, ineligible player like Ed on our roster as a bench lock at best at the expense of a young player.

When a Matthewson or a Potgeiter is filling a void that a team is missing it adds to Australian rugby. The system was put in place to allow a marquee player of this type for this reason as far as I'm aware. Speight on the other hand was a development international player, because he would become eligible. As far as I'm aware teams are allowed two of these players as it isn't thought to be taking a spot from a potential wallaby as they are potential wallabies. One Reds spot is taken by JJ Tualugi. But that's another discussion for another time.

Ed, whilst I rate his involvements is really preventing the development of a player like Dave McDuling.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with you TWaS. I'd be thinking the Reds organisation should be retiring Ed from their roster as soon as possible. He's not a great player and becoming less so with age and someone should be filling that spot. If he is there for longer than just next season (if that) it will be bad for the Reds.

If they can't find a lock to adequately replace him though, I don't think it should be restricting them recruiting a marquee player in a position they badly need like a big, ball running 6 or 8.

T

TOCC

EOD isn't considered a marquee player as of next year, if he isn't considered a marquee player i believe it would be premature to cut him from the squad. With the expanded squad in 2015 EOD should be retained as well as adding another younger lock to the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.