• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
From a players perspective you'd have to think Lucas would be looking elsewhere, unless he has a very strong loyalty to the Reds. There are essentially no wallabies opportunities on the horizon for him and he still has a couple years of 'prime' rugby left. If some of these Reds signing rumours are true you'd think they wouldnt exactly have lots of cash left to offer a bench player. I just get a feeling if hes going to jump overseas for a money grab, now would be the time.

In terms of backup 10s, its still very early days but Bobby Tuttle has been thriving in Premier Grade down at GPS since being promoted a couple weeks ago, hopefully both he and Greene are fit when they play the Filth and we can get a good look at them both.

T

Train Without a Station

A back row of 6. Browning 7. Gill 8. Vaea and 20. Robinson would offer work rate, impact, future (all starters under 23 - Allows Browning to settle in to Super Rugby and move to 8 like Schatz did if Vaea was only a short term recruit) and a bit of abrasiveness in Browning and Beau.

Then you've got quality back up in Quirk and Schatz who could easily force their way back in.

Make it happen Woody, Carmichael and Cordingly.

Ita - Swing us 5% and we'll call it even!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A back row of 6. Browning 7. Gill 8. Vaea and 20. Robinson would offer work rate, impact, future (all starters under 23 - Allows Browning to settle in to Super Rugby and move to 8 like Schatz did if Vaea was only a short term recruit) and a bit of abrasiveness in Browning and Beau.

Then you've got quality back up in Quirk and Schatz who could easily force their way back in.

Make it happen Woody, Carmichael and Cordingly.

Ita - Swing us 5% and we'll call it even!

I think Schatz is better than a bench player. yes his form has been down in 2014 but he almost played for the Wallabies in 2013. Maybe a different environment will bring out his best.

T

Train Without a Station

I disagree that he has shown he can be more. Would agree that he has shown potential that he might, but really the game is moving away again from the smaller number 8s like Brown, Hoiles, etc. More successful teams have line bending options at 8 that can really make an impact hitting a ruck, or line out leading options at 8.

Schatz is good in the line out, but not great. He doesn't bend the line, he hasn't shown incredible pace. He is workman like, has a great work rate and would not look out of place starting, but I would be recruiting on the basis that he's an out and out starter based on what he has shown in his career thus far.

Boog

Frank Row (1)
From a players perspective you'd have to think Lucas would be looking elsewhere, unless he has a very strong loyalty to the Reds. There are essentially no wallabies opportunities on the horizon for him and he still has a couple years of 'prime' rugby left. If some of these Reds signing rumours are true you'd think they wouldnt exactly have lots of cash left to offer a bench player. I just get a feeling if hes going to jump overseas for a money grab, now would be the time.

In terms of backup 10s, its still very early days but Bobby Tuttle has been thriving in Premier Grade down at GPS since being promoted a couple weeks ago, hopefully both he and Greene are fit when they play the Filth and we can get a good look at them both.

Sunnybank's McIntyre has been killing it in the JWC, good all round player. Has a fair dinkum rugby head that the Aussies have benefited from in NZ.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank's McIntyre has been killing it in the JWC, good all round player. Has a fair dinkum rugby head that the Aussies have benefited from in NZ.
Hasn't had the exposure of Greene or others at club level. Has a really good head on his shoulders and will be a real benefit to Sunnybank when he returns to Australia.

Think he'd make a good back up 10 with an eye on the future. Can play 15 too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
With James O'Connor in Toulon. Some interesting fullback for Reds for the next Super Rugby season?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Ouch, that sounds great. Can he play the next WC?

If he comes back and plays well I don't see why not. Better goal kicker than anyone we currently have until Lilo finds form again, can play at least one position at the test level and two at Super Rugby level, and is a genuine finisher.

He'll have an entire Super season (theoretically) to prove himself in time for the RWC.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If he comes back and plays well I don't see why not. Better goal kicker than anyone we currently have until Lilo finds form again, can play at least one position at the test level and two at Super Rugby level, and is a genuine finisher.

He'll have an entire Super season (theoretically) to prove himself in time for the RWC.

Which do you think is his best position at the international level? At winger?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There will be an embarrassment of riches on the wing if he does come back.

JOC (James O'Connor), Badger, Speight, Tomane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

More and more likely that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will fight it out with Kurindrani for 13.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If O'Connor has shelved his behavioural shit he could potentially take the wallaby 14 jersey back with a pre-season and a solid stretch of games. Problem is, I doubt Graham is the coach to get the best out of him. In Australia, Cheika, Fisher and Link are the ones who could. Hopefully he's in a headspace where he doesn't need someone to "handle" him like a zoo animal, just gets on with the business of preparing and playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.