• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Torn between two minds here. If he is as good as everyone says, then it would be great for whomsoever lands him in Oz, but our gain will be yet another loss for Tonga.

We have already acquired Vunipola Fifita (2013 and 2014) Aust Schoolboy prop from Tonga (arrived for the start of the 2012 School year. It is not as if the kid was a Tongan/Samoan who was born and raised overseas. Henry Speight, The Tomani bros, Samo etc etc.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Don't know much about him,but for what it's worth, he was quoted in the Telegraph as saying he wanted to play for the All Blacks.

B

Bobby Sands

I think Curtis will end up having a similar 8-man game to Duane Vermeulen. We should lighten Shatzy's load, and give the big-man some extra responsibility.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
After reading taniel's article, and having all the haters he has towards him. It's come across that kiwi rugby are not use to rejection and having whinge.
He clearly states that living in Australia is far better for his family, something the kiwi's should understand given the amount that live here.

He looks like a exciting player, he can run,pass,step, dummy and ball carry something he has learnt at NZ school boys. So that's a bonus right there for his chosen Aus franchise.
He would look good In Red on full trot from a inside ball from quade.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Congrats to the Reds on hooking Taniela away from the Kiwis. I just can't see him going anywhere else.

Article I read back in May said his brother was working as a miner in QLD. If you read the articles it sounds like the brother is pulling the strings. And thankfully he is pulling him this way.

And to those saying he isn't worth a contract..........................WTF???

The kiwis broke two of their own rules to try and keep him. They changed the eligibility requirements so he could play for the schoolboys if he chose to AND they offered him a top up. Something never offered to an uncapped player before.

Wonder if I am drawing too long a bow, but the Wallaby/AB logo deal at the gala dinner, wonder if they were hinting at a player who was tossing up between the two.

You guys need a couple of props too. All works out in my eyes.

B

Bobby Sands

Look, I don't know much about the kid. Clearly he is a rare athlete, and would be a massive coup for any franchise to attract such athletes. However, will be able to play Super Rugby next season? I wouldn't have thought so.

So how do the Reds go about contracting him? With reduced squads it is much harder to "warehouse" players so to speak, and the Reds need atleast two more match ready props, that will probably come from Paraka, Kite, and Talakai. Would be bloody interesting to chuck him into the NRC, and see where he is at against those boys.

Can we pay a player who is not in the squad? I'm not sure how the salary cap works exactly.

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Look, I don't know much about the kid. Clearly he is a rare athlete, and would be a massive coup for any franchise to attract such athletes. However, will be able to play Super Rugby next season? I wouldn't have thought so.

So how do the Reds go about contracting him? With reduced squads it is much harder to "warehouse" players so to speak, and the Reds need atleast two more match ready props, that will probably come from Paraka, Kite, and Talakai. Would be bloody interesting to chuck him into the NRC, and see where he is at against those boys.

Can we pay a player who is not in the squad? I'm not sure how the salary cap works exactly.

I'm tipping he'll either be at the Reds and linked to the Filth or at the Tahs linking up with Wicks.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone care to summarize the squad as a speculative first choice 15, 23 and then list current contracted squaddies?
I'm not across every players best position and would like clarity around the current state of play

T

Train Without a Station

1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Browning
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. O'Conner
15. Hunt

16. Fainga'a
17. Daley
18. Kite?/Pareka?
19. McDuling
20. Robinson
21. Frisby
22. Fainga'a
23. Kurindrani

Picks itself really.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't think squad sizes are actually going to decrease next year. Whether or not the EPS disappears as a defined concept with specific salaries won't stop the Aussie teams contracting 35 or 36 players again.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Browning
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. O'Conner
15. Hunt

16. Fainga'a
17. Daley
18. Kite?/Pareka?
19. McDuling
20. Robinson
21. Frisby
22. Fainga'a
23. Kurindrani

Picks itself really.

Now to get that team to start at least once.

T

Train Without a Station

Reserve tighthead is an issue, but the Waratahs survived with Paddy Ryan. McDuling is also another issue. He has really failed to impress in NRC so far so I'm not sure what we can really expect from him.

I actually forgot out Tui. Surely Schatz will push to the bench and contest Robbinson for a start off the pine pretty quickly. If Tui is a good line out option I'd take Beau.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How do you think Tui will be better than Schatz? Tui will be lucky to be on the bench with Quirk in the mix.

T

Train Without a Station

That's a fair comment. I'd like to think they haven't recruited a bloke in a position we are lacking impact to be our 5th or 6th choice loosie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.