• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Quade Cooper phone call may have swayed Tongan Thor signature

zyzy6uge.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-queensland-reds/story-fnp0m105-1227055850531

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Happy to taniela sign up for the reds for 2 years.
He has a few good props around him to learn the ropes of scrummaging, as most are concerned about. With playing schools boy rugby in ZN he might teach the reds something.

Excited about seeing his fist attacking run. He will only get bigger and stronger with reds.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
wonder where this leaves paraka/talakai/kite and co. Would assume only one more prop will be signed now?

They will need to sign two more props all S15 franchises carry six props a mix of youth and experience. Brumbies and Waratahs have always had great front row stocks but now Melbourne are building quite nicely with PAE, Weeks, Ah Nau, Lahiff, Smith and Metcher. All relatively young but a few years down the track will have great depth if all kept in Melbourne. IMO that's the direction the Reds are following.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
up on the Daily Tele site now.

A couple of key points:

so does that mean he is not a foreign development player?

club contract? You think like Sunnybank? Sounds like it. Let the club fighting begin!

So he will be outside the 32/35/whatever next year.
You know clubs can't pay players Reg. The QRU don't allow it.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
This is a bit of a poor signing in my opinion.

He's only ever played schoolboys, and it seems like he's been contracted after watching a few YouTube videos and all the media hype.

Faagese Parraka, Kite and Talaki, whilst not demanding selection, have been playing Premier level and training in WTS (not Talaki), for a while, yet this KID has only played schoolboys.

A WTS contract and a year in development against men in Premier would have been the best option, but this seems like a poor choice in my opinion.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

He's only ever played schoolboys, and it seems like he's been contracted after watching a few YouTube videos and all the media hype.

Faagese Parraka, Kite and Talaki, whilst not demanding selection, have been playing Premier level and training in WTS (not Talaki), for a while, yet this KID has only played schoolboys.

A WTS contract and a year in development against men in Premier would have been the best option, but this seems like a poor choice in my opinion.
I think it is a risk, but I look at it from the perspective that the Reds have actually been able to sign what seems to be the most talented schoolboy available. It is a risk but we need to secure this type of talent when we can.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Talakai has been apart of Waratahs WTS for the past three seasons. However, it depends how you look at it TT. I'm on your side in regards to the pick up, but he does have great upside if he manages to develop under Stiles. He will no doubt play a few seasons in 1st Grade and a host of Reds A games before he gets elevated into the match day squad. The question now is what club rugby side will he join ?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

I think the argument that he's a YouTube sensation and that's the extent of the recruiting progress is simply ludicrous.

Why the hell would the NZRU, let alone a well established rugby club like the reds and QRU rely on some video highlights to commit presumably high 5 figure amounts to a schoolboy?

Even if you questioned the reds, you cant ignore the fact that the NZRU offered this a bloke a contract and it's the first time they have ever done so for a schoolboy.

There would have been extensive scouting done by people from both sides of the ditch, coaches consulted and the bloke himself would've been checked out by Richard graham etc. I just think it is completely unfair to say this is a YouTube signing. He clearly has immense promise and I hope he final delivers us so mongrel that we so desperately need.

If clubs signed off on YouTube highlights there would be far more schoolboy signings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think the argument that he's a YouTube sensation and that's the extent of the recruiting progress is simply ludicrous.

Why the hell would the NZRU, let alone a well established rugby club like the reds and QRU rely on some video highlights to commit presumably high 5 figure amounts to a schoolboy?

Even if you questioned the reds, you cant ignore the fact that the NZRU offered this a bloke a contract and it's the first time they have ever done so for a schoolboy.

There would have been extensive scouting done by people from both sides of the ditch, coaches consulted and the bloke himself would've been checked out by Richard graham etc. I just think it is completely unfair to say this is a YouTube signing. He clearly has immense promise and I hope he final delivers us so mongrel that we so desperately need.

If clubs signed off on YouTube highlights there would be far more schoolboy signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.

The point was he is untried at any level outside of schoolboy, and for me, that does not meet the criteria for a full time contracted prop.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would doubt it is a full time contract this year. More a training contract this year at least.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Have to agree with T12.

In fact the whole thing feels like the whole RG thing when the Force talked him up and knew what they were giving us. Massive interest in this kid from unnamed teams around the world. Gets call from Quade, signs that day.

To sign a prop who has never played a real game is a big gamble.

Can anyone recall a prop that has ever been signed out of Schoolboy rugby?
PAE maybe? (just checked was 2nd year out Force signed him) I was thinking Syd Douglas back in 2001 but I'm pretty sure he played a year of Premier Grade as a colt before getting a full contract.

I was talking to some GPS school coaches the other day about players in general and how in the modern game it isn't working out the way it did back in the 90s. Quade and Beale are about the only to actually make it since Flats.

Bottom line if he is on 35k in the WTS or even EPS then its not too bad. But if he's in the main squad on real money, it could potentially be a terrible decision.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I would doubt it is a full time contract this year. More a training contract this year at least.
If he's a foreign development player he HAS to be on a 2 year full time contract Reg. Can't be a training contract for a foreign dev player.

He'd be on minimum full time contract around 60K (inc super)

I just hope we aren't setting him up to fail. Imagine 5 props injured next year, of course you play the kid on a full time contract, he fails dismally (because he's never been in a full time pro system before and has had less than 6 months elite training) and these forums call him the worst signing since....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If he's a foreign development player he HAS to be on a 2 year full time contract Reg. Can't be a training contract for a foreign dev player.

He'd be on minimum full time contract around 60K (inc super)

I just hope we aren't setting him up to fail. Imagine 5 props injured next year, of course you play the kid on a full time contract, he fails dismally (because he's never been in a full time pro system before and has had less than 6 months elite training) and these forums call him the worst signing since..
I can't wait for the list to appear! ;)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
A few more front pages and this kid will have provided positive return on investment from the reds point of view without even playing a game. It's all about media hype during a big week for the broncos and the Reds are nailing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.