• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Side comment re QC (Quade Cooper)'s current mind-set: one of the most staggering appointments of RG's era at the Reds was the decision to appoint KH as VC of the team before (a) he'd played any rugby for 4-5 years and (b) he'd played even one minute of Reds rugby.

I'd be amazed if QC (Quade Cooper) did not take this as some kind of slight, or at least for him a highly demotivating lack of recognition. He's clearly the most important player in the recent Reds best years. Yet no defined leadership position for him.

The biggest single criticism most of the Reds players have of RG is (in their view) his appalling man-management skills. He comes across to the media as Mr Nice Bloke and so affable etc; it's a very different story behind closed doors.

This is one of the many reasons that in past posts I've noted that my perception is that RG would be an excellent 'upwards' manager handling his own PR with his board and so on with charm and conviction, but I had heard enough from excellent sources to know that 'downwards' he was far away in management style from his 'upwards' mode.

Whatever, the QRU board have been by any standard extraordinarily indulgent of him and rumours are now (in the last week) circulating around Ballymore that the QRU may offer RG a 1-2 year extension for 2016/17 but to be 'aided' by a newly appointed 'director of rugby' to 'assist' him. The notion that RG 'is gone' after June is by no means validated as yet.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'll start supporting the Rebels if RG is still Reds coach next year. At least following them your expectations are going to be met!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Whatever, the QRU board have been by any standard extraordinarily indulgent of him and rumours are now (in the last week) circulating around Ballymore that the QRU may offer RG a 1-2 year extension for 2016/17 but to be 'aided' by a newly appointed 'director of rugby' to 'assist' him. The notion that RG 'is gone' after June is by no means validated as yet.
Do you have anything solid regarding these rumours of contract extensions for Graham, RedsHappy? Or are they just hushed whispers around the club scene etc?

EDIT: I'm not questioning their truth as I'd pretty much believe anything RE the Reds administration at the moment, but if there was something solid, anything at all, I think this would be enough for me to start wondering what I could do personally to effect some change. I have no idea what that is but I couldn't allow myself to sit idly by. Whether it's a change.org petition or some form of boycott or fuck knows what else, but if they are even considering this then they've done me.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Side comment re QC (Quade Cooper)'s current mind-set: one of the most staggering appointments of RG's era at the Reds was the decision to appoint KH as VC of the team before (a) he'd played any rugby for 4-5 years and (b) he'd played even one minute of Reds rugby.

I'd be amazed if QC (Quade Cooper) did not take this as some kind of slight, or at least for him a highly demotivating lack of recognition. He's clearly the most important player in the recent Reds best years. Yet no defined leadership position for him.

The biggest single criticism most of the Reds players have of RG is (in their view) his appalling man-management skills. He comes across to the media as Mr Nice Bloke and so affable etc; it's a very different story behind closed doors.

This is one of the many reasons that in past posts I've noted that my perception is that RG would be an excellent 'upwards' manager handling his own PR with his board and so on with charm and conviction, but I had heard enough from excellent sources to know that 'downwards' he was far away in management style from his 'upwards' mode.

He can't be re-signed. It would spell financial disaster for the QRU. Memberships would fall through the floor. He has taken a top six side to the bottom of the table in a few years.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I would come seriously close to bagging up all of my Reds merch and supporter gear and posting it to them letting them know I don't need it anymore.

I know that's dramatic and deep down I'd never stop supporting them but it just makes me so angry and depressed that they seem to not give a shit about anything. I need to do something to show them that and I think as a symbolic gesture, that would be reasonably powerful I imagine. Fuck me, I don't know. I'm just over it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Do you have anything solid regarding these rumours of contract extensions for Graham, RedsHappy? Or are they just hushed whispers around the club scene etc?

Scoey, as mentioned, they are rumours, but I would never refer to them if not from a credible source quite close the action. But they are not validated or certain, obviously.

But if you think about it, the QRU has not issued even the slightest hint of criticism or non-support or similar of RG, rather it's been all waves of excuses and let-offs and 'explanations of a tough season' and so on.

Then we've had deliberate recent leaks to the media re possibly Knuckles coming in to the Reds in a 'technical support' role and too some kind of coach/mentor role for Brad Thorn. And a 'review' of the HPU, etc.

Of course I am speculating, but these knowing and managed top-level QRU leaks could point to the 'renewal of RG for 2016 but with much better support that we realise he's lacked' scenario. Remember too that RG got away with blaming 'squad deficiencies' for 2014's very poor performance and outcomes and the QRU backed him strongly to continue on in 2015 more or less unchanged in terms of coaching group and so on.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks. Always happy to hear the rumours as there are a lot of reasonably 'connected' people on here.
I try not connect dots between rumours though as even though in isolation they could all be plausible, in my mind, once I start linking them together the plausibility level grows exponentially. That, and I generally just can't bear the thought. ;)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

It would be beyond astounding if the QRU re signed him in any capacity. Deans RWC2011 all over again, actual performance is not of any consideration. Have these rugby unions learnt nothing from the failures of the ARU and NSWRU and indeed the QRU V1.0

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Scoey, as mentioned, they are rumours, but I would never refer to them if not from a credible source quite close the action. But they are not validated or certain, obviously.

But if you think about it, the QRU has not issued even the slightest hint of criticism or non-support or similar of RG, rather it's been all waves of excuses and let-offs and 'explanations of a tough season' and so on.

Then we've had deliberate recent leaks to the media re possibly Knuckles coming in to the Reds in a 'technical support' role and too some kind of coach/mentor role for Brad Thorn. And a 'review' of the HPU, etc.

Of course I am speculating, but these knowing and managed top-level QRU leaks could point to the 'renewal of RG for 2016 but with much better support that we realise he's lacked' scenario. Remember too that RG got away with blaming 'squad deficiencies' for 2014's very poor performance and outcomes and the QRU backed him strongly to continue on in 2015 more or less unchanged in terms of coaching group and so on.
What's in it for the Reds senior management and Board(apart from one obvious conflict of interest) to persevere with a coach as poorly performed as RG?
The public have already voted with their feet.
Even if they thought he was a quality coach,commercial considerations surely necessitate his removal?

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
RG here next year no membership from me. For how many years have we seen underachieving from the REDs and it is not as if they have not had the cattle. QRU can't be that short sighted ! :eek:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Qld may be in danger of having a Sydneyesque situation where many folk happily, and openly, support the Ponies because they lost confidence in the NSWRU and all the Machiavellian polictical manoeuvering inherent in the way the game is administered in Sydney.

By any reasonable measure RG must go when his contract is up.

B

Bobby Sands

This gets blown way out of proportion. He was also part of the leadership at the Suns. He is clearly a good trainer, communicator, presence in these environments.

B

Bobby Sands

Qld may be in danger of having a Sydneyesque situation where many folk happily, and openly, support the Ponies because they lost confidence in the NSWRU and all the Machiavellian polictical manoeuvering inherent in the way the game is administered in Sydney.

By any reasonable measure RG must go when his contract is up.

I don't think so.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
stubbornness.

Others' experience may differ, but I've seen a scary number of board-level situations where big egos, reputational fears and self-preservational motives merge to stubbornly resist owing up to major mistakes despite massive evidence of the need to own up and the wider benefits of owning up and acting to correct the mistake.

The capacity for group-think and reckless institutional denial in these types of situations is, sadly, by no means unprecedented.

T

TOCC

Nah, it might be a bad season but that's not the Queenslander way.. Reds period of 2006-2009 was worse then this.. Queenslanders would prefer to support no team then support another Aussie team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
Nah, it might be a bad season but that's not the Queenslander way.. Reds period of 2006-2009 was worse then this.. Queenslanders would prefer to support no team then support another Aussie team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But with a Brumbies core of Moore, Pocock and To'omua, all QLD rugby products, it's easy to jump on board

Status
Not open for further replies.