• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But with a Brumbies core of Moore, Pocock and To'omua, all QLD rugby products, it's easy to jump on board

Smith twins, Kuridrani, Moggy, Ah Wong, Enever. May be more. I know Joe Tomane played League on the Gold Coast. I wouldn't have a problem if some of the passionate Reds' fans saw the light and switched allegiances.

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
Not switching, just backing the ponies too now that the reds are done for this year. We've already played them twice.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Reds have got to be the hardest team in the world to like right now. Losing everything, most players have a bad attitude, coach blames everyone else, executive board are blind to their mistakes.... Somehow. Best players leaving or injured....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
We'll be ok. We just ride out the Super Rugby season and sit back and watch Brisbane City sweep all before them in the NRC.

The sort of thinking that the QRU is hoping will maintain their 30K+ membership, without performance being a criteria.

The Tahs in their arrogance took this path and I am wondering looking at the crowds they are getting if they can recover the old base of support. I mean even after a Super Championship the crowds have remained pretty disappointing. They certainly haven't grown as one could have suspected, especially in a RWC year after playing some wonderful rugby last year. I know I am prone to looking back, but I remember 35K crowds watching the Shute Shield finals, not just the grand final but the preliminaries from 1994 through 1997 when I left Sydney. The support base was there, for club sides and even greater for the annual State of the Union series pre-1996. The NSWRU managed to take it to the edge through their arrogance and belittling of the fanbase. The QRU really don't want to take that risk, especially with the ARU in such financial dire straights.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The NSWRU managed to take it to the edge through their arrogance and belittling of the fanbase. The QRU really don't want to take that risk, especially with the ARU in such financial dire straights.

At the end of the day, people support the game for a variety of reasons: habit, traditions, nostalgia for the older ones amongst us. The thing is, we have an ever-diminishing support base, even if our teams are winning and playing wonderful rugby. That's because the game is an acquired taste, and very people every year have the opportunity to acquire the taste. Fewer schools are playing the game, the advent of professionalism has changed the amateur ethos which produced lots of volunteers to run junior and even senior teams, and of course our main competitors are swamping the media - particularly, of course, FTA.

On the other hand, for all your reminiscences of the golden age of the nineties, I remember attending a Test match against France in the sixties which drew the princely crowd of about 7,000 at the SCG. So maybe the cycle will turn again, although I did think that the Tahs winning the comp would generate a revival, at least in Sydney.

Apparently not. As for the Reds, their fall for grace is absolutely stunning. I really fear that this time around, lost fans are lost permanently, there is far too much competition for people's leisure time.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...n-as-he-weighs-up-future-20150414-1mkpan.html

QC (Quade Cooper) is definitely off for a 'let's discuss' trip to Toulon in the next few days.

This whole 'coaching unclarity at the Reds' factor he's referred to is yet another reason why IMO it could prove a major mistake to not remove RG now, install a caretaker, and thus at least let the most important-to-retain players know there will be a Head Coach change for 2016.

Even in my own rugby circle and my son's, we know so many Reds fans who just love QC (Quade Cooper), feel huge loyalty to him for what he's done for the Reds and QLD rugby, and know the day he's gone there will be a sea change in their allegiance to the team and their motivation to take out a Reds membership.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Obviously senior management and the board members at the Reds don't read Facebook, because the endless calls for RG's sacking go unheeded.

I don't think I will renew my membership next year if they renew RG's contract. That's a lie; in fact I definitely won't. And I am sure that there's thousands more that will do the same, but unfortunately I doubt that Carmichael will see that until too late.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
[url="http://Even in my own rugby circle and my son's, we know so many Reds fans who just love QC (Quade Cooper), feel huge loyalty to him for what he's done for the Reds and QLD rugby, and know the day he's gone there will be a sea change in their allegiance to the team and their motivation to take out a Reds membership.

I get your concern but the Reds have had a long history of creating legends, from my own time of watching them, there was the Slackie, Miller, Noddy and Herbie to name a few then along comes Little and Horan and Eales. Then along come Wilson and Tune and Latho and herbie's little brother. So many names I have missed including our newest member Hynsie but you get the picture.

What I don't get though is who is coming through next. I don't see the younger blokes on the rise like previous generations. As said previously by others the Reds just do not look well coached

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
On the 'greats' thing, it's a different era now and a different game. Players have far more opportunity nowadays and as well as being a 'great' of the game, players can also build their fiefdom through social media and become a bigger celebrity for what they are off the field than on it.
It's not just a rugby thing, it's across all sports. Fame comes quicker but can be fleeting and certainly means less these days.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck this. Let's take the fight up to them. Email them your concerns and how you intend to act if they are not addressed. Post your email here so it is on public record in another domain. The Address is below.

rugby@qru.com.au

I'll start off. Here is my email.

To Whom it may concern.

My name is Mick Taylor, I have been a Reds fan for over 30 years since I first became involved in the game of Rugby. I have been a loyal supporter through the good times and the bad. It is with much sadness I write to you to express my disgust in the preventable decay of the Reds, the arrogance of the administration and the sheer contempt it shows towards the fan base. Our side is poorly coached,we have no direction and despite some elements of bad luck at times, valuable energy is expended with a constant vomiting of excuses rather than transparent accountability in an honest search for results. What entitled Richard Graham to the job of head coach in the first place? He has no demonstrated record of success in his previous coaching assignments and his recruitment to the Reds smelt fishy when it happened. Despite that I was prepared to give the bloke a fair go and a chance to take the high performing Reds under Ewen McKenzie and place his own stamp on them moving forward. Well he has had that chance and we are now in serious decay. The fans are expressing their anger and frustration through various forums of social media, yet it appears to be presumed that like sheep we will give blind faith and continue to offer our support, both in spirit and financially. You show zero ability to accept our anger and concerns let alone address them. It has not gone unnoticed that you heavily censor your Facebook page from any critique, even maturely considered and expressed critique. This level of contempt to your fans is unsatisfactory and should not happen and the fans have every reasonable right not to tolerate it. Reds fans are good honest people with a passion for their team but just try us if you think we will not vote with our feet in protest of the shambles the Reds have become. How much match day crowd and membership needs to be sacrificed before we are taken serious and treated with the respect we deserve as the life blood of the franchise. It is time you pulled your finger out of your backsides and and start earning our faith again. We are pissed off at an out of touch board and management that continues to support a lame duck coach who it arrogantly installed in the first place.

Yours Truly
M. Taylor

B

Bobby Sands

I vote Ruggo for the Reds board. That is what I will be writing to them about.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Ruggo, well done. I hope it has the desired effect.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Remember it took a little kid to point out that the Emperor was wandering around in his undies.

Status
Not open for further replies.