• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bit of masochist, mainly because I think they deserved better than what they got.

It's a tough one. In hindsight it looks silly to lose those players but if halfway through last season, Reds fans were trying to construct the best XV for 2015 most people wouldn't have had Harris or Shipperly in it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think he's referring more to the manner with which they were boned. Don't know about Ship's circumstances but if what I've heard about the way Harris was cut is true then it was pretty fucked.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't know, there were plenty here or said the side was missing some key components, including a back-up 10 which Harris could have filled better than Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor).

I have always thought it very strange that they let Shipperly go yet sign tradesman Turner. Don't get me wrong I see Turner as a good squad depth player but surely nobody could think he has the potential upside that Shipperly has.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd be curious to know also. I've know 'something' has been up with him since probably 2011 but couldn't put my finger on it. Some have speculated it's his dodgy back but I have no idea

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I think he's referring more to the manner with which they were boned. Don't know about Ship's circumstances but if what I've heard about the way Harris was cut is true then it was pretty fucked.

Bang on. Harris was a proven commodity who can play 3 backline positions well and the Reds screwed him around. Admittedly I'd still prefer JOC (James O'Connor), but I think Mikey deserved better than what he got.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
This in SMH;

"Embattled Queensland Reds coach Richard Graham still has the support of his players, halfback Will Genia insists.
As the Super Rugby strugglers reel from Friday's embarrassing 58-17 capitulation to the Crusaders, Graham's grasp on the playing group has been questioned and his future has come under intense scrutiny.
The Reds have moved to support Graham with the appointment of John Connolly as coaching director until the end of next season.
Genia dismissed suggestions Graham has lost the players and says Friday's loss was not down to a lack of effort from the Reds."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...-reds-support-will-genia-20150511-ggyuu9.html

It's the last line that bothers me because Woody said it was the players lack of effort that caused the thrashing.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Once the players start insisting the coach hasn't lost their support, the coach definitely has.

Genia, of all players, looks the most frustrated.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This in SMH;

<snip>
Genia dismissed suggestions Graham has lost the players and says Friday's loss was not down to a lack of effort from the Reds."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...-reds-support-will-genia-20150511-ggyuu9.html

<snip>

Well, the Coach says it was the players fault.

One of the players says it was not due to the lack of effort from the players.

Then if it was the players fault and not the Coaches, and the fault of the players wasn't because of the lack of effort from them, does that lead to the conclusion that the root cause of the capitulation was the lack of competence from the playing group?

They clearly tried really hard, they were just not able to execute the master plan of the Coach that can take them to the Finals.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, the Coach says it was the players fault.

One of the players says it was not due to the lack of effort from the players.

Then if it was the players fault and not the Coaches, and the fault of the players wasn't because of the lack of effort from them, does that lead to the conclusion that the root cause of the capitulation was the lack of competence from the playing group?

They clearly tried really hard, they were just not able to execute the master plan of the Coach that can take them to the Finals.

Just say'in: the more we all look at this, and from so many angles, the bigger the whole cluster fuck becomes.

Doesn't the fact that, incredibly, there appeared to be confusion amongst all of the team, the TV commentators, and the ref as to who was to be Reds captain after Slipper was gone on Friday sum up all too perfectly the entire debacle that is the Reds 2015?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
That's actually something I wanted to ask about. Did anyone actually work out what happened there? Simmons had the (vc) next to his name on the team sheet but when Slipper went off, Horwill appeared to be acting captain.
Then we get that penalty right in front and a few players are looking around wondering what to do. Someone said that they'd take the shot at goal so the ref signalled it. Then someone else comes over and wants to kick for the corner but the ref has to explain the option has been taken to shoot at goal and then asked who was actually captain now?
No idea who did what or what was resolved but it looked really odd. Given that even fit, Slipper was always going to come off, so the stand in captain should've been decided on already.
Anyone know what went down?

Reminds me of a game I played in a team in London whilst travelling the world.
The other side was thrashing us, where at one stage it was a bit like what the Crusaders were doing to the Reds in the second half.
They'd scored another try immediately after the one before, and we were dragging our bodies back to the half way mark when our captain & vice-captain started to have a punch up. Over what was never revealed, but it had to be the most embarrassing moment I've ever endured in a game. We had a fair few spectators on the side lines as well.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Not exactly a great time to come back to G&GR, after an extended period in a Bris Vegas private hospital, (because of a stuff-up involving a Staph. infection), and ongoing health issues since then!
So the conjoined-twins (Richard Graham, and CEO Jim Carmichael) are still there, and Knuckles is back to save the day! I'm tipping John Eales to captain the team for the rest of the Super Rugby season, and a "bottom-three" finish is guaranteed !
Maybe they need 'my mate Richo', (former dual-international 5/8), to coach the lads?!
Thank God I've got "cousin Sammy" to support in the Brumbies, except they lost an opportunity last weekend!
We Reds supporters are certainly "red-faced", and looking forward to 2016-17-18-19! They've gotta be better years than 2015.

I'm still sticking to my prediction (made in August 2014), that Australia will play Ireland in the 2015 RWC final!!
Not sure how many Reds will be in that team!

Have a good Tuesday folks, it's nice to be back!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I found this bit interesting from Genia:

Asked if Graham, who is out of contract at the end of the season, should remain as coach next year, Genia said: "To be honest, I probably don't have too much of an opinion on that."

"And not because I'm not going to be here next year, but just because I'm more focused on playing well this week for the side and the team playing well, so we can get a couple of wins.

"Those sorts of things are more often than not out of the players' hands anyway."

Paint that any way you like, a player in support of his coach does not dodge the question and say "I probably don't have too much of an opinion on that".

Jim Tucker thinks Graham is likely gone by the looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.