• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Ah yes Mr Bloggs, your surgery is quite complex so we have searched globally for the very best surgeon and found that he was in fact the head of surgery at this very hospital. Now he does have a mortality rate of 75% but rest assured that he has a new manager and his only measure of success is how he performs moving forward. Good luck old chap!

What if all the other surgeons had a mortality of 90% and the mortality without surgery was 100%. Then you'd have no choice but to take your chances.
Do we know for sure there were other suitable applications?
The Reds pr team are hardly going to say we searched far and wide but no-one was stupid enough to show a serious interest in the role so we got stuck with what we've got for another year. Even if that was the truth they'd put a positive spin on it.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Busy day for the Reds Facebook team. At least 1200 posts deleted from the reappointment announcement so far.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Just for shits and giggles, I have been trying to think of a similar situation that could happen in another job/industry/ whatever and I can't.

It's just staggering.

But Scoey in how many industries is success so easily measured?

As per the example about a surgeon, I don't doubt that there in fact is surgeons that have a 75% mortality rate and in fact are very well regarded, as being a successful surgeon is not merely measured in that as it does not consider the risk of surgery.

I think you will find there are plenty of people around in good professional positions that aren't that good at what they do and maintain their job. From my experience half of Lend Lease's construction management department would be in that boat n my view.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Busy day for the Reds Facebook team. At least 1200 posts deleted from the reappointment announcement so far.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I don't do much facebook. Has there been any positive posts?

Were they from genuine fans?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

As per the example about a surgeon, I don't doubt that there in fact is surgeons that have a 75% mortality rate and in fact are very well regarded, as being a successful surgeon is not merely measured in that as it does not consider the risk of surgery.

I think you will find there are plenty of people around in good professional positions that aren't that good at what they do and maintain their job. From my experience half of Lend Lease's construction management department would be in that boat n my view.

Depends on the business. I have run my own small businesses for about 10 years now. Gross & Net Profit, Customer Retention, Customer Referals. These are the basics for me and I'm still in business.

Before that in another life there were management criteria which were also fairly straight forward and measurable.

I just can't accept that somebody can fail to achieve over a number of years at have closely correlating results from a previous appointment and still be regarded as a top candidate for an elite position. I have no doubt that RG had/has potential to be a good coach, but to try and achieve that potential at the elite level is just a big step too far IMO and the results confirm that.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
And appointed defesive coach. Just thought I'd add to the crapflood of dismay that is the Reds 2016 forum.

That's rubbing salt into the wound.

I can't believe they reappointed Graham. I've gone for the Reds a great many years now, but as an old Canberra boy I find myself really considering whether I revert back to my old side. Either that, or I could put the Rebels merchandise Rabo sent me to good use!

Disgraceful decision by the Board.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Ummm, no. If you do, you're reanimating corpses just to kill them twice. Very, very few procedures have mortality rates anywhere near that, as it is way beyond the point of making any sense to do it. Unless you're a battlefield surgeon.

T

Train Without a Station

So there's no specialities where surgical procedures are undertaken on patients who have a very bleak outlook without surgery?

T

Train Without a Station

Gnostic you're missing the whole point though. The comment is that how could anybody in any other industry maintain their job when performing so poorly. My point is that most industries do not have such easily definable measurements of success so plenty of poor professionals, or boat anchors as I like to call them, progress.

You may run a smaller business, so I don't doubt that there's less room to hide, but the larger the organisation, the more boat anchors that seem to be dragged along with the success of the business.

It's pointless comparing this to a standard business position, because it's so very different.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So there's no specialities where surgical procedures are undertaken on patients who have a very bleak outlook without surgery?

They would be very, very rarely performed, so data would be statistically useless. Few health organisations would countenance procedures that high risk. You have to realise that 5% is a very high mortality rate. High mortality (not morbidity - i.e. side-effects) rates usually relate to the high-risk co-morbidities of the patient (cardiovascular, respiratory, multi-organ failure etc...) rather than the procedure itself, so it's really only the battlefield where such things happen.
And this is OT so I'll probably leave it there.
PLUS - I'm boring myself!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even battlefield surgeons have a better success rate than 25% (75% mortality)

In a mass casualty/battlefield scenario, the surgeons will attend to those with the greatest possibility of recovery requiring the least surgical/medical intervention first, in accordance with a robust triage assessment process.

The Golden Hour rule of thumb suggests that the recovery rates of 80% can be achieved if the injured can be evacuated to a surgical theatre within 60 minutes of sustaining traumatic injury (battlefield or otherwise). Even more important is preventing excessive blood loss within the first 10 minutes. It may not be pretty but the patient has statistically significant better chance of survival.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
At least they got rugby on to the backpage of the Courier Mail! That's probably a KPI
uploadfromtaptalk1439901771045.jpg

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't do much facebook. Has there been any positive posts?

Were they from genuine fans?

I have visions of Carmichael, sitting anxiously at home, triple scotch in hand, faced by a small enamelled statue of RG and another of Rod McCall, and barking into his mobile phone - Facebook post by Facebook post as each rolls in - orders to his IT department: 'delete that outrageous slur', 'expunge that slanderous accusation', 'block that trouble maker', 'cull that appalling slight', 'never let that arsehole post again'....

Meanwhile, he's set a target for 106,500 Reds Members for 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.