• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That is the exact reason McIntyre is ahead of Greene. A lot of Greenes moments have been individual where as McIntyre actually creates shape for his outside men something Greene isn't just yet capable of doing at a consistent rate, tell me have you seen the way QLD Country have played? Structure, attacking shape and defensive shape?

His game management is poor, percentage plays, attacking decisions etc but he does have that rugby instinct in him that can see him do some good things at times. I'm not saying he is a bad player because he has shown the potential to be a great player. I just don't think, actually I know he is not ready for Super Rugby at this stage.
A few years of maturing and being settled into the program could potentially see him out gun McIntyre.
That's interesting, my impression is exactly the opposite (based on watching each player a handful of NRC games )
I've seen Greene create holes for his runners,kick well & have a crack when it's called for.
And I've seen Frisby play around McIntyre for two seasons.
From my recollection Mcintyres highlight reels would be a couple of tries from 2 metres out.
If they swapped schoolboy resumes,I doubt McIntyre would be even selected in the NRC squad.
.....based on my limited viewing of both players.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
My worry is that whoever gets chosen first won't have the coaching or the team structure around him to really be effective and a lot of the blame for not bringing the Reds up the ladder immediately will be heaped on them by punters.

It doesn't surprise me that the Reds might be in the market for some under performing Leaguie who is on a stop over before a career in professional wrestling entertainment. Who else would want to sign with us?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm with you LB, pick the young 5/8's and build a team and gameplan that will take advantage of the teams strengths. Forget this big international search for a world class playmaker and double down on what we have in what will be a rebuilding year. Barnes, Will and Quade were pretty rough when they started in super rugby but they learned.

I'd rather a team dedicated to eachother and a cause rather than payday.

Hey RT. I completely agree with this statement. Don't suppose you have a chance of ousting RG have you? (Silly me.)

But take the next step. Thinking through Super a Rugby quality, now work through and enumerate these strengths. Think about the coaching setup too. Then with those strengths work through the natural game plan it leads too.

I have my thoughts, interested in a second opinion.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey RT. I completely agree with this statement. Don't suppose you have a chance of ousting RG have you? (Silly me.)

But take the next step. Thinking through Super a Rugby quality, now work through and enumerate these strengths. Think about the coaching setup too. Then with those strengths work through the natural game plan it leads too.

I have my thoughts, interested in a second opinion.
Hey dru, just swing it wide. I got no answers other than hoping the boys really commit ti each other in 2016. I'll be in the stands again hoping we win.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hey dru, just swing it wide. I got no answers other than hoping the boys really commit ti each other in 2016. I'll be in the stands again hoping we win.

Yeah mate I'm on board, but from Sydney can only make 2-3 home games.

What I love from coaches like Link and Cheika is they may have an idea as to how they want the team to play, but really they look to their strengths and work to them. Someone like Dean's, IMO had an ace game and pushed the cogs together. Even if they didn't fit.

Reds 2016 has potentially one of the best forward groups in the comp. with the right coaching possibly finals level. 6 & 8 to be watched, but on the whole not good but excellent. And we have Stiles. It's sounding good so far. And O'Conner who by all accounts understands how to work forward pods. And we have got an S&C set who might just keep the guys on the field.

Slow to start maybe with Slipper surgery. But replacement LHP has all the foundations in place to drive this. Super support.

We have a 9 who I think will take no time at all in his haste to lay a claim to membership in the Cheika watch list.

And it starts looking shakey from there. Speed out wide. Inexperience though, and not at all solid at 10-12-13. Oh OK Kuridrani is the right quality. If used well. Not Hunt at 13 though, he needs time. Maybe build it during the season.

It starts sounding nothing like a game plan of going wide. 9 man rugby, looking to use the speed at the counter. And maybe at lucky breaks. Almost sounds like a South African game plan. Presuming someone can kick.

Of course if the coach had an open remit to re-build you might see a Link style building pattern trusting the youngsters.

But RG has been told results now.

They'd be my choices as coach. If I'm pushed to results 9 man game. If I've got time build and trust in the backs.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would select McInyre ahead of Greene.
I'd hardly say McIntyre has set the comp alight,despite being surrounded by the strongest squad in the comp,whereas Greener has performed strongly in a much weaker team.
IMO Greene's skills are superior,as is his reading of the game.

I used Mcintyre as an example because I have seen him play more times due to the NRC's poor availability on TV.
I hope that we have many 10's competing as this should raise the bar

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm in favour of sticking with our young 10's and developing them. Frisby is good for 9 and Tuttle looks a pretty handy back up, then with Jake or Greene working in with them, Kerevi at 13, Kuridrani on one wing and Hunt at 15, he has been developing well there - just need to work out the other wing (Junior the Ballymore Kid maybe or one of these NRL wingers we have apparently signed?) and 12 - not sure who our best options at 12 are. I favour a 2nd playmaker at 12 but not sure if that option is available.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about a Magnay, Kerevi combination in the centres? Magnay is still young and has had a few games last season plus NRC Qld Country and besides if we are in a "Building Phase" who else is there?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
What about a Magnay, Kerevi combination in the centres? Magnay is still young and has had a few games last season plus NRC Qld Country and besides if we are in a "Building Phase" who else is there?
What are Magnay's hand skills like?

I still like Khunt at centre to play as a second 10 when needed, big enough to offer a second crash baller and to offer some leadership and experience to guide the defence.

Is Magnay a potential 15?

Is CFS still considered a possible centre?

11 Kuridrani, 12 Kerevi, 13 CFS, 14 Magnay, 15 Khunt
11 Kuridrani, 12 Khunt, 13 Kervevi, 14 CFS, 15 Magnay

Parisi SP? to come into team from NRC with the Ballymore kid

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
9. Discus
10. Big nose
11. One K
12. The other K
13. White nose K
14. CFS
15. Goromaru

Or

9. Discus
10. New guy
11. One K
12. Paiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaua
13. Other K
14. CFS
15. White nose K

Or

9. Discus
10. Big nose
11. One K
12. Other K
13. A.N. Other
14. CFS
15. White Nose K

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't be writing off you Tuttle as a 9 option to be honest. Seems more solid and Pickle a potential 'finisher'

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
What are Magnay's hand skills like?

I still like Khunt at centre to play as a second 10 when needed, big enough to offer a second crash baller and to offer some leadership and experience to guide the defence.

Is Magnay a potential 15?

Is CFS still considered a possible centre?

11 Kuridrani, 12 Kerevi, 13 CFS, 14 Magnay, 15 Khunt
11 Kuridrani, 12 Khunt, 13 Kervevi, 14 CFS, 15 Magnay

Parisi SP? to come into team from NRC with the Ballymore kid
Magnay has had a good season and he is a big boy 1.95m @ 98kg, not too sure about his defense though? Perese is out for quite a while I heard and doubt he'll be looking for a spot in the main squad this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Reds Backs consist of:
2 x Fulbacks - JJT & K Hunt
3 x Wings - C Kuridrani, CFS & Eto Nabuli + The Ballymore Kid
3 x Centres - S Kerevi, Magnay & A Fainga'a
2 x Flyhalves - J McIntyre & D Paia’aua
Only 3 of them having more than a season of Super Rugby. Kerevi, Kuridrani & Fainga'a

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Hunt has probably shown that when allowed to roam around and make the play he is a better 15.

We don't have the cattle with the handling ability to play a ridiculously expansive game. A better approach might be a high paced but direct game with (offloads encouraged) with the occasional kick pass to (one of) our enormous Fijian Winger(s) coupled with a solid territory game.

9. Pickle
10. Jake the Snake
11. Nabuli
12. Kerevi
13. Magnay
14. CFS or Kuridrani
15. Hunt

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Is there any chance of Sam Greene getting a run in the main squad this year? I'd like to see him get his chance, I think he has a higher ceiling as a player than McIntyre or DP from what I've seen in Prem Grade.

Either way we're getting a huge drop off from QC (Quade Cooper).

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there any chance of Sam Greene getting a run in the main squad this year? I'd like to see him get his chance, I think he has a higher ceiling as a player than McIntyre or DP from what I've seen in Prem Grade.

Either way we're getting a huge drop off from QC (Quade Cooper).
Does Sam have a Super Rugby contract? Not on the Reds web page which should reflect the latest in the coming week Nov 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What has everyone got against Frisbey? Tuttle looks a great back up, but the underwhelming "9. discuss" has me confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.