• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I read it as pickle has a new nickname; Discus

Pickle is solid, i have liked the look of him in the NRC.

Having said that I'd like the backline to be a solid unit and not chopped at changed like this year. FFS remember when Woody pulled the swifty before the Tahs match and when he ran Pickle at 10 for some reason for a bunch of games?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think CFS really needs to learn to kick if he wants to start.

At the moment he does not seem proficient in this skill. With his size he offers a lot of potential but if he could kick he would secure a starting spot.

He could look at any of 11,12,13,14 or 15 if he could kick well.

In fact for any of the guys thinking of being a winger, if you prove you can kick you should secure a spot in the team.

We need to be able to allow any new 10 to play at 10 and not be an extra fullback like we had QC (Quade Cooper) doing. Part of this was due to need to be able to clear the ball.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The common thought that we will be worse in 2016 than we were in 2015 on the basis that we've lost Quade and will likely have Jake at 10.
How many games did Quade actually play this year? Couldn't have been more than a few. Basically we had Frisby at 10 all season. Jake will be a big step up from this year.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Backline could be:
9: Frisby
10: McIntyre
11: Nabuli/Junior
12: Magnay/Duncan Paiuua
13: Kerevi
14: Kuridrani
15: K. Hunt

I agree that there is not a great deal of experience there but a lot of potential. If we look for experience then you bring Ant Faiinga back in, but he didn't really look the goods this year so are you risking it adding experience but losing potential? CFS has experience, I'm not sure what his best position is, wing or centre, but he is injured.

If we at least play people in positions that they know (e.g. Frisby at 9 not 10) then we are ahead to start with. Now I'm not sure whether Magnay is really a 12, he did have some games there for Qld Country this season but I believe 13 is his usual spot, and Kerevi had been a 12 but Nick Stiles seems to have him at 13 this NRC - should they swap around?

Then if we have Sam Greene on the bench along with Tuttle you get the chance to develop good backups as well, give them some good game time and if Greene looks better than Jake along the way then swap them around.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What has everyone got against Frisbey? Tuttle looks a great back up, but the underwhelming "9. discuss" has me confused.

Frisby is a good player and will start the season at 9 (injury permitting). He's also a developing leader too.

But, I think Tuttle has massive potential and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the starting 9. I think he has a more traditional 9 game and organisers well whereas Pickle is a spark player.

I guess it depends on the game plan for the Reds next year and whether Frisby has leeway to go off the cuff a bit, or the team plans to run a bit (as Pickle has been a fantastic link player this NRC).

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The common thought that we will be worse in 2016 than we were in 2015 on the basis that we've lost Quade and will likely have Jake at 10.
How many games did Quade actually play this year? Couldn't have been more than a few. Basically we had Frisby at 10 all season. Jake will be a big step up from this year.

Agree,since the 2011 world cup injury the Reds have seen less of Cooper on the feild then ever. From The Mooney era I have Been a fan of Quade (still am), even though he was all over the shop. At the that time he was at least 2-3 plays ahead them the rest of the team. There is a Classic you tube blooper of quade prior 2009. Come 2010-11 there was a high light reel which very few rugby players can produce.
Quade,Genia, Horwill and Link gave me a Super Rugby Grand Final which I will never forget but that was 2011
2016 there all gone, but the players At the Reds are still very very good players.
2012- 2013 Reds have lost Cooper ,Genia and Horwill and a thousands 10's but they were still were succelful. And one player from that time is Frisby who i think is a very good scrum half and far better than the 2nd string wallabies scrum half at the moment.
Also I think Jake will be a brilliant super rugby 10, much like Foley. No spectacular passing just a real good proper number 10 that kmows his job.
Frisby 9 Jake 10 will work , don't know how well under RG but I predict that he will be gone by week 6 and Stiles will head coach.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Frisby is a good player and will start the season at 9 (injury permitting). He's also a developing leader too.

But, I think Tuttle has massive potential and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the starting 9. I think he has a more traditional 9 game and organisers well whereas Pickle is a spark player.

I guess it depends on the game plan for the Reds next year and whether Frisby has leeway to go off the cuff a bit, or the team plans to run a bit (as Pickle has been a fantastic link player this NRC).

Tuttle is a fair way behind Frisby... So much so that they are searching for another halfback who has experience to cover

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I still hold out hope CFS will get a full season in the centres. He and Kerevi in centre, Hunt 15 and Kuridrani plus whoever else on the wing.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But will RG put the centre pairing the right way around?

He has shown a tendency to have very unique thoughts on how the game should be played.

T

TOCC

CFS had shoulder surgery but I think will be back for the start of the season, Browning also had surgery but is back running and will get a full season of pre-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The reason we are worse in the backs in 2016 includes Quade (though his 2015 impact was limited to minimal games), also Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Turner. Then look at the Superrugby experience in the line compared to last year. The backline leader is a guy with sporting prowess and at best building rugby ability.

The reason 10 is a concern isn't (just) about Quade, it's about how we play. I've already suggested that one logical (imo) coaching answer is 9-man rugby. I doubt the fans would like it though. Pull in a top class international 10 and there is a fair chance my concerns will evaporate.

As we are, the backline is no step forward, though does include some promise.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Good luck finding an uncontracted top class international 10

This also is kind of my point. We do however see this stated by guys here who have provided interesting leads in the past.

If it's not happening, I go back to the start. The back line shows promise, but I don't think it's a step up from 2015 at all. We don't have a tap into the thinking of the coaches, but what game plan is pulled together is going to be interesting.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Some of us discussed this a while back.....but now it's confirmed.....one of the most talented GPS schoolboy 10s many of us have seen for a very long time, Mack Mason, has left the Storm to sign for the Reds.

Mason played for Churchie as 10 in 2014 when Churchie won the GPS premiership undefeated and Mason was a big part of that success.

See:

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/mack-is-ready-to-rumble-at-reds/2819616/

Status
Not open for further replies.