• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think dru's bagging them at all. I don't think anyone is.
It is fair to criticise the Reds as an organisation though. It's not being hard on McIntyre or Greene to say that we are lacking an organiser or whatever. That's not being critical of their ability because as you say they are only kids, it is more pointing out that the Reds haven't adequately covered the backline with sufficient experience in key positions. A team can carry a few green players but you can't have a whole backline of young 'uns at Super Rugby level!

T

TOCC

Agree reds2016, massive expectations are placed on young players these days, I think it's a byproduct of the 'senior player drain' where young players are promoted to fill the void before they are ready.. People immediately write them off after a few bad performances, but overlook the fact they were placed in a position in which they weren't yet qualified to fill. Paia'aua copped a lot in 2015, but he wasn't ready and was still only 19yrs old.

I hope McIntyre, Green and Mason are given more slack this year.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
I am liking the look of most of the backline tho
Chris at wing did a great job in the first half. I actually think if you give the young ones a chance it will be okay, we cant dwell on the quade/genia gone for too much longer. Their time was up with the reds, they didn't want to be there.

atleast with these youngers, the want to give it a shot and want to play for queensland. but like I said before, the coaches obviously see something in greene/McIntyre and the back line... so let them play footy.. its like people on here are waiting for them not to succeed. everyone loved the Brisbane city NRC backline and now all of sudden, they aren't ready and aren't good enough for super rugby. and yeah maybe the reds are in the rebuilding stage, does this mean no die hard fans will be there during that. reds will win more games then you think.

just curious aswell, if the board sack graham and the reds do not win a game. how is everyone going to react then? or do you think that if he goes, they will start winning?

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
that's the thing.. even magney was put on the paddock when I don't think he was entirely ready.

I just get cranky sometime reading all these reviews on players and their ability, quick to judge behind a key board but I can guarantee you wouldn't say it to their faces.

and you are right TOCC, poor Duncan got absolutely and utterly bad mouthed last year... now he is the flavour of the month.
they are still kids and that's the card the reds have been dealt, but they are filling the role and are doing it with passion and pride. its not like the young ones aren't trying, they also love playing for Queensland.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
It's not so much about risk with Goromaru (and there is one) but about expectations. Seems the QRU are hanging their hat on his pulling power (and novelty) judging by all this marketing and PR stuff going on. Building him up as a talisman.

If he doesn't perform as 'expected,' well, there's going to be a lot of unhappy vegemites around (again). The Reds will need a lot more than Goromaru (regardless of how he plays) to pull them out of the wooden spoon zone. Let's just temper expectations a little and see how he goes.

I think he'll probably go OK but apart from a couple of other quality players (Douglas, Neville to some extent) nothing in the recruitment process has indicated to me that there'll be a significant change from last year.

Prediction: I reckon Richard Graham will continue underachieving and probably be sacked around the bye round.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
also with Thor, the dude is 19 and gets a spread three days in a row in the back page of the courier mail - yeah he didn't bash up the players like he did he premier rugby last year but he is a kid and HAS major potential. guys his age are lucky to play premier colts

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
just curious aswell, if the board sack graham and the reds do not win a game. how is everyone going to react then? or do you think that if he goes, they will start winning?

It's not so much the win/loss record that has me fed up with Graham. It's been covered before many times but it is the lack of direction, and cohesion on the field and lack of any discernable game plan. Basic skills excecution seems to be regressing under him each season. Things like this that give me the shits. He's not getting the most out of his players and on a very subjective judgement, it seems that he is unable to get the players 'up' for game day.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
so if he went do you think support would grow more for the playing group even if they did not win a game or do you think people are just far gone with the reds as an organisation they need some HUGE key signings to get the support there again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Greene has not been visibly tested. McIntyre has, he is a distributor not a playmaker. A kiwi system to solve that dilema if your 10 is good at being flat, taking on the line, kicking, is to have a "second fly". We have seen Cheika work Beale and Giteau in that role. It could ostensibly be from 13, especially in a backs system with a twin attack line.

Quade is a play maker, so are Llea and Beale. To'omua and Foley are distributors not playmakers. debrenizie, the judgement is to be made, but might be a playmaker.

Our centers are simple push it up the guts guys. Hunt is supposedly the backline leader so might be expected to fulfill it from 13. To do it from 15 seems beyond him. (From 13 to be proven).

Paia the only other bit of potential flare (note "potential") is wallowing at third choice.

If we want to truly engage our promising backs, McIntyre needs a foil, a second playmaker. Or we try Greene who might be better but higher risk, and then he'd need a decision maker to help. Which btw would be Hunt.

PS I"m not worried anout "kick" which is what I dont want them to do (though accept it as a necessary evil in certain game situations).

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
because honestly if I was the CEO or board member, id look at my for and against keeping them, annual report etc and most likely sack the person causing the abuse on social media on a daily basis. do the people really think sacking graham, you would see an escalation of memberships and support

its just interesting to note..

bloody hell I was there through the hard days before 2011 and the glory days of 2011 and it was a bloody good feeling winning

T

TOCC

also with Thor, the dude is 19 and gets a spread three days in a row in the back page of the courier mail - yeah he didn't bash up the players like he did he premier rugby last year but he is a kid and HAS major potential. guys his age are lucky to play premier colts

I'm not against articles talking up players like Thor because I think it's a positive for them to build their profile, although it can build up unrealistic expectations on the inability. As long as people keep their expectations In check and occasionally remind themselves that some of these guys are fresh out of colts then it should be ok.

I don't think people should launch snide attacks against young players unless they're prepared to say it to their face, it's not the players who select themselves in the position.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
well done TOCC I think that's may biggest gripe at the moment, people have been getting on here having digs at players. fan day is coming up - honestly think if they are that worried about the way they play - have a chat to them :) id love to see some of their reactions

anyway, ive had a little outburst for today. I just bloody hope the trial goes well. it will be hard match but I have faith in the side that the coaches have picked :) and again it give the young ones an opportunity . I feel like sometimes certain people have an agenda on here. but anyway. ill go back to drinking my beer and watching the news at 5pm

dru

Tim Horan (67)
so if he went do you think support would grow more for the playing group even if they did not win a game or do you think people are just far gone with the reds as an organisation they need some HUGE key signings to get the support there again.

Get rid of RG now. Flip a coin between MO'C and Stiles for 2016 and sort out something proper in 2017. Make sure the new HC understands its a building year.

Hold on to our players coming through and dont lose control of them as they inevitably become Aussie names.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
maybe that is the answer. keep the ones that want to be there and take control , god I hope for die hard fans like me if happens. I love my rugby and I love winning. some of these guys probably haven't felt the love and support in a while...
anyway, lets hope the trial goes well , reading the reds facebook page on Monday was alittle depressing, I feel for their social media team

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Agree reds2016, massive expectations are placed on young players these days, I think it's a byproduct of the 'senior player drain' where young players are promoted to fill the void before they are ready.. People immediately write them off after a few bad performances, but overlook the fact they were placed in a position in which they weren't yet qualified to fill. Paia'aua copped a lot in 2015, but he wasn't ready and was still only 19yrs old.

I hope McIntyre, Green and Mason are given more slack this year.

QC (Quade Cooper)'s younger days weren't even that long ago! People can't have forgotten how some of those games went so quickly..

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like watching good rugby.

The reds under Graham play rubbish rugby.

I don't like watching rubbish rugby. It is bad.

There are a number of players with potential in the reds, but they are not being developed properly because the coaching is a problem (possibly higher up as well, I have no idea about that though).

Richard's record is abysmal and there is no evidence to suggest that he would ever produce results different from what he has so far.

If Richard Graham was replaced with someone competent enough in the coaching role, then I have enough faith in the players that they would improve and the rugby the reds play would be better to watch.

I want the reds to play better and be better.

People who say "just shut up and support the team irrespective of whatever" do not.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
I like watching good rugby.

The reds under Graham play rubbish rugby.

I don't like watching rubbish rugby. It is bad.

There are a number of players with potential in the reds, but they are not being developed properly because the coaching is a problem (possibly higher up as well, I have no idea about that though).

Richard's record is abysmal and there is no evidence to suggest that he would ever produce results different from what he has so far.

If Richard Graham was replaced with someone competent enough in the coaching role, then I have enough faith in the players that they would improve and the rugby the reds play would be better to watch.

I want the reds to play better and be better.

People who say "just shut up and support the team irrespective of whatever" do not.
I am not saying support them whatever but this constant picking the players to pieces is rubbish

Anyway enough from me today

T

TOCC

I am not saying support them whatever but this constant picking the players to pieces is rubbish

Anyway enough from me today

Yep, just because I won't ever be overly critical towards a teenager or even a player in there early 20's doesn't mean I don't want the team to perform well or better. I just think that this frustration should be directed at those who have coached the player poorly and selected the player before they are ready...

This team in 2016 has inexperience in key positions, its biggest off-season recruit 'Kane Douglas' is out for the season, it has poor coaching, it lacks any real game breakers and has young players throughout. They are going to perform badly at times, and i just hope people don't turn it into a player witch hunt and unnecessarily slander some of the young players who are promoted before they should be.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
because honestly if I was the CEO or board member, id look at my for and against keeping them, annual report etc and most likely sack the person causing the abuse on social media on a daily basis. do the people really think sacking graham, you would see an escalation of memberships and support

its just interesting to note..

bloody hell I was there through the hard days before 2011 and the glory days of 2011 and it was a bloody good feeling winning
Yes,

I think it could IF and the big IF is recruiting the right person or people.

If we have a terrible season and are 2 wins and 10 losses and Graham was fired I am sure an announcement of Link and Cooper returning would increase the membership and support.

Another bad season and we will be financially struggling. I am seriously worried that our crowds will be around the 12-15000 mark for most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.