• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The hype around Goromaru is a little ridiculous. Apart from scoring a try from support against the Sprongboks, his highlight package is all goalkicking. I can't see him setting Super Rugby alight with his limited running game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The only hype going around is by the media and those wisest enough to realise Goro's market value. The next WC is where guys?

Japan!

The locals will start getting itchy feet about rugby in the coming years, they'll start following their star players closely which means they'll support the clubs that their stars are playing for. It's not rocket science that those signing Goro are banking on his marketability and wanting to tap into the Japanese market.

But hey, let's only focus on his ability to kick a ball, because god knows the Reds have excelled in that area over the last few years. Watching Lachie Turner kick both from the ground and for the corner worked tremendously last year......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The hype is pretty real within the Japanese community. I hear the Reds merch store sold out at their fan day on Sunday, pretty much solely on the back of the Japanese community.

Again, the Reds have already secured one sponsorship on the back of his presence, and I'd be fascinated to hear how many of the Goromemberships have been sold. I suspect heaps.

And this isn't just marketing. He's a solid player and a quality goal kicker. We've been looking for a reliable fullback since Latho retired and a goal kicker is always a priority.

I don't expect him to light up the field, but I expect he'll do a very good job on the field. I think he's already done his job off the field.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
T

TOCC

Yeah Reds marketing department has picked up on Goromarumania and ran with it, but can you blame them? There is an obvious demand for product relating to him, and any club whether it be the Reds, Tahs or Toulon would be stupid not to try and capitalise on that demand. It's a once in a decade opportunity for a team to get a foothold into a new market.

In saying that, the marketing value of a player and the true on-field value of a player can vary greatly, just because the QRU market Goromaru more then Gill doesn't mean they rate Goromaru's on field contribution as been superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
RE the Buzz around Goromaru, I agree it's all a bit much. He's only one of the best signings in terms of value for ages and should bring some new perspectives and energy to the squad. He's internationally capped and is providing a big (don't underestimate it) foot in the door of the likely next big Rugby market for the Reds. He's a solid player with reportedly a great Rugby brain and is an excellent goal kicker. So yeah I just don't get it. :confused: /sarc

It's actually a really good feeling to have something positive to chat about with the Reds for a change. #gorofever

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
The hype around Goromaru is a little ridiculous. Apart from scoring a try from support against the Sprongboks, his highlight package is all goalkicking. I can't see him setting Super Rugby alight with his limited running game.

I thought this tackle was pretty good against Scotland

He also made a try saving tackle on Friday night on Nigel Ah Wong. That was a bit easier, I probably could have made that myself. But then again ask Dave Dennis about Nigel Ah Wong

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Didn't get to watch the game, was the ruckus between Gill and Pocock a serious one? (don't want next years back row to have cohesiveness issues). I get the impression from the way Gill speaks, acts and plays that he believes that he has it in him to be the best flanker in Australia - which I love to see.

It seemed serious at the time. Pocock objected to the clean-out from Gill, which was probably OK - maybe border-line. It flared up from there. Probably best mates after the game, who knows ?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Goromaru must return to Japan. We don't need someone for just a year. The guy is thinking more about European money than the current season.

And a fullback is not the salvation for Reds. The Reds need at least 4 or 5 top class player to be a real challenger. And of course, a new head coach

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
@HJ Nelson Japan did get done 45-10 vs Scotland so presumably he also let the odd one through.

According to the stats.....

Goramaru had 0 missed tackles in that match. His two wingers though, missed 4 (3 and 1 each). In total the Japanese backline missed 11 tackles in that match. I don't care how good a fullback he is, that is a tough night at the office for Goro - probably best not to presume that 45-10 result had much to do with him though. ;) Well the 10 part did, he scored 5 of those points.

T

TOCC

Goromaru must return to Japan. We don't need someone for just a year. The guy is thinking more about European money than the current season.

And a fullback is not the salvation for Reds.

No one said fullback or Gormaru were the salvation... Reds have two fit fullbacks, Karmichael and Goromaru, and debate rages over whether Karmichael is a better fullback or centre, so there is obviously room for a player like Goromaru in the squad. Especially since his goal kicking ability exceeds everyone else in the squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I thought you'd be used to MHCS' outlandish comments and broad-brush stereotypes by now.

I'm surprised he didn't put part of the reasoning down to having something to do with him being Japanese.

Bad Call Braveheart - you bring out a timge of racism unnecessarily I reckon

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Poey floored Gill in an epic cleanout, Gill tries to return the favour, but did it after the ball had been cleared by Cubelli and Poey was looking in that direction.

It was a tad on the cheap side and Pocock had every right to get pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.