• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The signing of Goromaru is also beneficial for the Premier Rugby club which manages to receive his allegiance. Even if he doesn't play (highly likely) the Goromaru fans will still turn up just to meet him as most Reds go and watch their respective clubs play when not on representative duties.

Grass roots footy benefits greatly when well-known players get involved with local clubs. Karmichael Hunt came down to Brothers Juniors last year to do a kicking session with the young players at the club. It was very well received by both the players and parents.

I agree with RugbyReg; Goromaru is an excellent signing.
Not just for the Reds but for both grass roots rugby and international rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was on the news that he signed a pre-contract with Toulon for next year. If this is not true, I apologize

you said:

" The guy is thinking more about European money than the current season."

with no justification whatsoever.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
you said:

Are u the Goromaru's lawyer? Relax, mate. Yeah, I said that because I heard that he has signed a contract with Toulon and he still hasn't played a Super Rugby game.
you said:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are u the Goromaru's lawyer? Relax, mate. Yeah, I said that because I heard that he has signed a contract with Toulon and he still hasn't played a Super Rugby game.

You're the one who said that they should cancel his contract and send him back to Japan.

Sounds like you're the one needing to calm down.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

No, he is a forum administrator who has role to ensure that content is moderated in a impartial manner. I'm not going to debate whether he has signed a contract or not, frankly don't really care. We all share a responsibility to ensure that what we post may not be inflammatory; posting a statement like what you've posted may be read by some as derogatory towards Goromaru.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
You're the one who said that they should cancel his contract and send him back to Japan.

Sounds like you're the one needing to calm down.

Sorry, mate. I'm very worried about the Reds future. The Reds need a long term solution and if your star player just signed for one year, you can't build something. The Reds need a serious project

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sorry, mate. I'm very worried about the Reds future. The Reds need a long term solution and if your star player just signed for one year, you can't build something. The Reds need a serious project

He's not a star player. He's a Super-level fullback with the upside of being a plus goalkicker. Having Goromaru around takes some pressure off McIntyre/Greene, adds good depth for when injuries come, takes the Reds brand to a new market, and generally brings in a shitload of dollars.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if they were trying to sign him up for three years. A one year contract is in everyone's best interest. If you're worried about anything, it should be the inability of the ARU to stop fringe Test players leaving. The Reds will be fine, they've got crateloads of talent. They just have no idea how to use it.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's not a star player. He's a Super-level fullback with the upside of being a plus goalkicker. Having Goromaru around takes some pressure off McIntyre/Greene, adds good depth for when injuries come, takes the Reds brand to a new market, and generally brings in a shitload of dollars.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if they were trying to sign him up for three years. A one year contract is in everyone's best interest. If you're worried about anything, it should be the inability of the ARU to stop fringe Test players leaving. The Reds will be fine, they've got crateloads of talent. They just have no idea how to use it.

I disagree. At the current status, he's a star player. The Reds squad is very young. If he plays a really good season, he will be a big loss for the team. I'm also tired of Toulon seizes all Australian players, now even non-Australians.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
No, he is a forum administrator who has role to ensure that content is moderated in a impartial manner. I'm not going to debate whether he has signed a contract or not, frankly don't really care. We all share a responsibility to ensure that what we post may not be inflammatory; posting a statement like what you've posted may be read by some as derogatory towards Goromaru.

Sorry, mate. I didn't know it. I've already offered my apologies, I hope he accepts

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I disagree. At the current status, he's a star player. The Reds squad is very young. If he plays a really good season, he will be a big loss for the team. I'm also tired of Toulon seizes all Australian players, now even non-Australians.
No he isn't. I doubt he'd be in the top 10 fullbacks in the competition. He probably isn't even the best fullback at the Reds. By no definition, outside his media profile, is he a star.

He's a good, experienced, senior player. His leaving after a year will do minimal, if any, damage to the Reds. And given his contract situation is known and cleared away, I can't see any reason why it would be distracting him in the here and now.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
No question in my mind that we should have signed him. Has already been proven (commercially) before the start of fixtures. Good value I reckon

How good he will be on the field for the Reds remains to be seen.

I'm with you, the Membership is just shy of 24k. How many is he responsible for - no idea. Has us at least talking about something other than the going backwards in attack game plan we have been employing the last couple of years.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm with you, the Membership is just shy of 24k. How many is he responsible for - no idea. Has us at least talking about something other than the going backwards in attack game plan we have been employing the last couple of years.

I've no idea either, but my suspiscion is that it is a substantial component since he was announced and the Goro packs came out.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's what I don't get. The Reds seem to be quite shrewd in some respects, tapping into various opportunities when they pop up - or even making the opportunity happen, but are blind to the damage being done by choosing to lose and play terrible rugby.

Why not do all these other things AND try to play good rugby? Wouldn't it be nice if after Goro leaves some of the Japanese fans say "well, the Reds were enjoyable to watch - I might just continue going for them in super rugby"?

Why not make it easier on the sales department and the bean counters and deliver a product that is favourable?

Why deliberately make it hard on themselves?

(Keeping RG is choosing to lose, and guaranteeing terrible rugby. the players may or may not be up to it, but there's no way to know with RG at the helm)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Saw Will Genia walking around Brisbane CBD yesterday with his family. Any reason as to why he wouldn't be over in Europe?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Saw Will Genia walking around Brisbane CBD yesterday with his family. Any reason as to why he wouldn't be over in Europe?

Likely the result of the break in the Stade Francais calendar from Jan 31 to Feb 19

I am saying people were saying that was said about goro was bad but this whole forum is bad for all the players and coach

Your comment back to me is just being a smart ass and not realising why I said it

The forum is hard on Graham because he's been demonstrably shit for a long time..

Remarks towards players about their style, ability, statistics, tendencies, etc is the heart and soul of most of the discussion on here and most of it is with merit - any offhand or personal attacks on players are quickly dealt with by the mods here.

There's going to be a positive and negative side to a discussion about any athlete on any forum, anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.